• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nation Writer Labels the Constitution ‘Trash’

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Elie Mystal, justice correspondent for The Nation, labeled the Constitution “trash” in an appearance on ABC’s The View on Friday.

Appearing on the program to promote his new book, Allow Me to Retort: A Black Guy’s Guide to the Constitution, Mystal was asked by co-host Ana Navarro-Cárdenas if the Constitution “is a living document,” or a “sacred document.” Mystal responded by declaring that “it’s certainly not sacred, all right, let’s start there. The Constitution is kind of trash.”

“It was written by slavers and colonists and white people who were willing to make deals with slavers and colonists. They didn’t ask anybody that looked like me what they thought about the Constitution,” continued Mystal, who proceeded to do an impression of a 18th century slave weighing in on the document.

Like I've said many times, the left are coming for the Constitution.

This is part of the media tour and promotion. Essay's, books, and interpretive dance numbers are next, and that's when NPR will pick up on it.

This is part of the media tour and promotion. Essay's, books, and interpretive dance numbers are next, and that's when NPR will pick up on it.
What’s your problem? As he explained, the Constitution as written up until after the Civil War might appear to be trash to any black person. Or to any woman before 1919.

"[T]he left are coming for the Constitution," seriously?

Were you born yesterday? :rolleyes:

The Democratic Party has been willfully and systematically violating the US Constitution since their inception in 1828. Biden's illegal federal mandates, the rent moritorium, and the CARE Act of 2020 where Congress paid hospitals for each COVID patient they reported. Those are just the more recent violations of the US Constitution.

The Democratic Party doesn't give a shit about the US Constitution. The Supreme Law of the Land means absolutely nothing to the party of "defund the police." This is what makes them leftist filth. The worst sort of scum imaginable, and why the Democratic Party has always been, and remains today, the greatest threat the US has ever known.

Elie Mystal was outraged by what Amy Coney Barrett said about her adopted children.

He was right on que acting like the race baiting piece of shit that he is, and of course the usual idiots on the left lapped it right up in the wokiest of woke fashion.

Jesse and I are parents to seven wonderful children. Emma is a sophomore in college who just might follow her parents into a career in the law. Vivian came to us from Haiti. When she arrived, she was so weak that we were told she might never walk or talk normally. She now deadlifts as much as the male athletes at our gym, and I assure you that she has no trouble talking. Tess is 16, and while she shares her parents’ love for the liberal arts, she also has a math gene that seems to have skipped her parents’ generation. John Peter joined us shortly after the devastating earthquake in Haiti, and Jesse, who brought him home, still describes the shock on JP’s face when he got off the plane in wintertime Chicago. Once that shock wore off, JP assumed the happy-go-lucky attitude that is still his signature trait. Liam is smart, strong, and kind, and to our delight, he still loves watching movies with Mom and Dad. Ten-year-old Juliet is already pursuing her goal of becoming an author by writing multiple essays and short stories, including one she recently submitted for publication. And our youngest — Benjamin, who has Down syndrome — is the unanimous favorite of the family.

"[T]he left are coming for the Constitution," seriously?

Were you born yesterday? :rolleyes:

The Democratic Party has been willfully and systematically violating the US Constitution since their inception in 1828. Biden's illegal federal mandates, the rent moritorium, and the CARE Act of 2020 where Congress paid hospitals for each COVID patient they reported. Those are just the more recent violations of the US Constitution.

The Democratic Party doesn't give a shit about the US Constitution. The Supreme Law of the Land means absolutely nothing to the party of "defund the police." This is what makes them leftist filth. The worst sort of scum imaginable, and why the Democratic Party has always been, and remains today, the greatest threat the US has ever known.
You regard the Constitution as a "sacred document", then?

Poked you in the eye (figuratively) didn't he?

So one person, who the U.S. Constitution was NEVER written for labels it in his opinion "kind of trash" now becomes in your mind the entirety of the Left and some tidal wave of a Leftist movement to take away your precious Constitution.

Too freaking funny.

Ye seem scared?

Some things Elie said on the View:

“It’s [the Constitution] certainly not sacred.”

True or False

“It [the Constitution] was written by slavers and colonists, and white people who were willing to make deals with slavers and colonists.”

True or False

“They [the Founders] didn’t ask anybody who looked like me what they thought about the Constitution.”

True or False

“[A] modern interpretation of the Constitution is essential.”

True or False

“This document was written without the consent of Black and Brown people in this country, and without the consent of women in this country.”

True or False

“[T]he very least we can do is ignore what those slavers and colonists and misogynists thought, and interpret the Constitution in a way that makes sense for our modern world.”

True or False

“It’s [the Constitution] kind of trash.”

True or False

I will say False on that last one; the other six are all True.

But I do very much understand where Elie is coming from intellectually if not in a personal sense on the “kind of trash” opinion regarding the Founders Constitution.

Being born a white male I have received a greater inherent privilege in life via the U.S. Constitution; I recognize this and that allows for me to recognize where others have not.

It could certainly be argued that Elie has a point. But if one notices he did not say to tear the Constitution up and toss it in the dustbin but rather that it is necessary to interpret the Constitution in the full sense of our modern world.

I agree.

Seriously, look at reality, the U.S. Constitution has 27 standing Amendments with one repealed but with over 10,000 amendments having been proposed in it’s life. That is at least 28 times it has been 'fixed'.

Look then at what we call “The Bill of Rights” that was 10 amendments almost immediately added to the U.S. Constitution by the Founders; an admission from the get go that they had erred some in writing their document and they had left out some needful rights and protections for the “people.”

But that wondrous reworking (fixing) of the U.S. Constitution, those enshrined 10 Amendments of 1791 for the “people” did not stand even for freed blacks and definitely not for slaves, those people who looked like Elie Mystal.

I must admit I have no recollection that I knew of Elie Mystal before today so I want to thank the OP for bringing him to my attention.

;) (y)

You regard the Constitution as a "sacred document", then?
The Constitution may be sacred, but that doesn't mean it is perfect, or couldn't be improved.

It is sacred, which means it is a priceless antiquity to God, to remind Him of His work.

Why not ?

It's a poorly written document - probably the worst written constitution in the Western world - and is in urgent need of a re-write.

Yet another fine example of the left degrading and denigrating the nation's institutions.
Once again, that which the left accuses others of doing, they themselves are guilty of.

Why not ?

It's a poorly written document - probably the worst written constitution in the Western world - and is in urgent need of a re-write.
What’s your problem? As he explained, the Constitution as written up until after the Civil War might appear to be trash to any black person. Or to any woman before 1919.
Way to cherrypick, dude.
Poked you in the eye (figuratively) didn't he?

[anti-Constitution ramblings]

^^ As I said, they're coming for th Constitution, and this is what's called the "softening them up" stage.

First they came for the statues, they came for the names of elementary schools, they came for historical memorabilia, they came for the police, they came for the businesses, they came for the nations founders, and next up...

They're coming for the Founders Documents, all of them. It will be claimed, and is being claimed now via BLM and 1619 Project, that the Constitution is the embodiment of inequality, and that race, ethnic, and gender equity demand its repeal and replacement.

The above responses prove how easy the support will come. What follows their demands will be their violence to make it happen.

You know, we don't have that Constitution as written by white slave holders, our Constitution has been amended 27 times since it was written.

Maybe Elie Mystal forgot about the 13th, 14th, 15th and the 19th amendments, that's the great thing about our Constitution, it can be amended to make right the things our founders neglected. Our Constitution can change with the times and that is done by majority consent of We the People through the amendment process. If our Constitution was to be set in stone there would have been no provision in it for the amendment process and that is what makes this document great. People can piss and moan about how it was founded, but that was then and this is now. Our Constitution is for ALL citizens of the United States and as it stands today it is color blind.

I don't think anyone of merit or power is listening to Mystal. So don't worry, no one is going after the Constitution.

The Constitution may be sacred, but that doesn't mean it is perfect, or couldn't be improved.

It is sacred, which means it is a priceless antiquity to God, to remind Him of His work.
It is not sacred.

It is certainly not a document the Lord Jesus would have approved of at its conception.

^^ As I said, they're coming for th Constitution, and this is what's called the "softening them up" stage.

First they came for the statues, they came for the names of elementary schools, they came for historical memorabilia, they came for the police, they came for the businesses, they came for the nations founders, and next up...

They're coming for the Founders Documents, all of them. It will be claimed, and is being claimed now via BLM and 1619 Project, that the Constitution is the embodiment of inequality, and that race, ethnic, and gender equity demand its repeal and replacement.

The above responses prove how easy the support will come. What follows their demands will be their violence to make it happen.
They who are coming for the Constitution and the Founding Documents?

The Langoliers?

Or would you rather use the "thug" codeword?

I bet you have no clue what the 1619 Project is or what its goals are.

Don't worry about the Founders Declaration of Independence, the Founders tossed that one into the trash in essence even before they sat down to whack out a wealthy White Man's Constitution guaranteeing wealthy white men's privilege.

That pesky phrase, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

History notes that pesky phrase was not writ into the Constitution because the slavers would have none of that "created equal" crap in their Constitution, they wouldn't ratify unless they got to keep their "human property."

You know what is equally sad about the U.S. Constitution, besides being a racist document out of the gate, it was also a gender biased document right out of the gate. Heck it didn't even give or guarantee white women suffrage until 1920 when that FIX to the flawed document was made.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

They deservedly came for the rebel traitor statutes and rebel school names erected and placed to honor people who fought for the institution of slavery and (in) and for a war to destroy our Nation.

Hell yeah it was long past time to dump those affronts to all that is moral and decent in our land!

The Original Constitution as written and ratified was exactly that a document that was the embodiment of inequality.

That is a fact that cannot be denied.

It is obvious to me you got poked in the eye, bigly, if figuratively and are scared of "others" making assertions that just might lead to greater equality and freedom FOR ALL!!!

The Langoliers?

Don't worry about the Founders Declaration of Independence, the Founders tossed that one into the trash in essence even before they sat down to whack out a wealthy White Man's Constitution guaranteeing wealthy white men's privilege.

That pesky phrase, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

History notes that pesky phrase was not writ into the Constitution because the slavers would have none of that "created equal" crap in their Constitution, they wouldn't ratify unless they got to keep their "human property."

You know what is equally sad about the U.S. Constitution, besides being a racist document out of the gate, it was also a gender biased document right out of the gate. Heck it didn't even give or guarantee white women suffrage until 1920 when that FIX to the flawed document was made.

They deservedly came for the rebel traitor statutes and rebel school names erected and placed to honor people who fought for the institution of slavery and (in) and for a war to destroy our Nation.

Hell yeah it was long past time to dump those affronts to all that is moral and decent in our land!

The Original Constitution as written and ratified was exactly that a document that was the embodiment of inequality.

It is obvious to me you got poked in the eye, bigly, if figuratively and are scared of "others" making assertions that just might lead to greater equality and freedom FOR ALL!!!
What is so special about 1619, and if you tell me that is when the first slave were brought into America then you need to learn your history.

There were no slaves in America until 1642, that is when Massachusetts was the first State to pass any slave laws. Blacks came to America in 1619 as indentured servants and were treated the same as any white indentured servant. After their contract was up, normally 5-7 years, they were free people, they were give property and supplies by the person they worked for.

The Langoliers?

That's a great writeup. You've convinced me that you, and people like you, are coming for the Constitution.

That's what the guy in the article I posted is doing; softening up the crowd, so that you can boldly come out in the open.

But there are other people who have taken an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

You're advocating setting yourself up against America the government and Americans the people; that's treason.

This is good opportunity for all the REAL men who want to abolish or overthrow the Constitution to stand up and be counted.

Let your voices be heard.

What is so special about 1619, and if you tell me that is when the first slave were brought into America then you need to learn your history.

There were no slaves in America until 1642, that is when Massachusetts was the first State to pass any slave laws. Blacks came to America in 1619 as indentured servants and were treated the same as any white indentured servant. After their contract was up, normally 5-7 years, they were free people, they were give property and supplies by the person they worked for.

History shows Black slaves were here in the Americas long before the year 1619.

The year 1619 is a focus because of the supporting written surviving documentation of the entrance of Black slavery to the shores of what is now Hampton, Virginia what was then an English colony.

That's a great writeup. You've convinced me that you, and people like you, are coming for the Constitution.

That's what the guy in the article I posted is doing; softening up the crowd, so that you can boldly come out in the open.

But there are other people who have taken an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

You're advocating setting yourself up against America the government and Americans the people; that's treason.
Only because you are incapable of truly comprehending what you read.

So what of it, if it were true, the foolishness you claim?

Do you think perhaps the Constitution needs updating to fit a modern world?

Perhaps we call a Constitutional Convention to update that document and FIX issues with it that have arisen due to its age and a completely different world we live in as opposed to that one the Founders lived in.

Is that so scary?

If so why is that?

Treason?

OMG what absurdity!

Wow.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom