• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nathan Phillips vet status in question

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake? We'll see if this is confirmed, either way, but Phillips' age make the claim that he's a "Vietnam veteran" highly dubious.

The Omaha World Herald reprinted a profile it ran of Phillips in November 2000: “Now 45, Phillips has been sober for 16 years”

That struck me as curious because that places Phillips year of birth in 1955. At that point we can call bullsh** on Phillips having served as a Marine in Vietnam. According to the USMC official history of its involvement in Vietnam:

But by the end of 1970, more Marines were leaving than arriving as replacements. On 14 April 1971, III MAF redeployed to Okinawa, and two months later the last ground troops, the 13,000 men of the 3d MAB, flew out from Da Nang.

Although Marine combat units were no longer in Vietnam, Marine advisors remained to assist the South Vietnamese.

In 1971, Phillips was 16 years old. The earliest he could have enlisted, either as an emancipated minor or with parental consent, was 1972. And Phillips does claim to have enlisted at 17. Junior enlisted guys and junior officers weren’t sent as advisers to Vietnam in the last days of the war, after US ground involvement had essentially halted. A Marine infantry private was not going to go to Vietnam a year after the last Marines left Vietnam.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/20...etnam-war-veteran-richard-blumenthal-problem/

Washington Times did a piece as well:

Native American activist Nathan Phillips faces questions about reports that he’s a veteran of the Vietnam war.

According to multiple news accounts, the activist is 64 years old, which means he would have been 18 years old in 1973, the last year any U.S. combat units were stationed in Vietnam. Mr. Phillips also claims to be a Marine veteran, although the last Marine combat units left Vietnam in 1971.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wash...han-phillips-vietnam-veteran-status-question/

Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake? We'll see if this is confirmed, either way, but Phillips' age make the claim that he's a "Vietnam veteran" highly dubious.

Well the one interview he did he claimed to be a "Vietnam times veteran. I wonder if the news media are the ones who claimed he was in Vietnam, because I can't find any sources saying Phillips himself said he was.

Well the one interview he did he claimed to be a "Vietnam times veteran. I wonder if the news media are the ones who claimed he was in Vietnam, because I can't find any sources saying Phillips himself said he was.

That's a fair assessment.

But, he did claim, "You know, I’m from Vietnam times. I’m what they call a recon ranger. That was my role. So I thank you for taking that point position for me.”, in an interview with Democratic Underground: https://www.democraticunderground.org/100211698735

There's no such thing as a "recon ranger".

Conservatives real need a "win" with this stupid story, don't they?

His words....

"Phillips also described coming back to the U.S. as a veteran of the Vietnam era. “People called me a baby killer and a hippie girl spit on me.”
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryt...ton-national-cemetery-tMOxOLqrJU6Ux9hZvXAzYQ/

Ah...see the edit at the bottom of the page...

Note: This article has been adjusted from it's original version to show that Nathan Phillips was a Vietnam-era veteran and that he was spit on while in uniform as opposed to when he was returning from combat.

Conservatives have a win with this story. The real question is how many idiot leftists will further trash their already shredded integrity by defending the bull**** that they all too eagerly fell for in the first place.

That's a fair assessment.

But, he did claim, "You know, I’m from Vietnam times. I’m what they call a recon ranger. That was my role. So I thank you for taking that point position for me.”, in an interview with Democratic Underground: https://www.democraticunderground.org/100211698735

There's no such thing as a "recon ranger".
Wait...are you saying a marine wouldnt refer to himself as a 'ranger'?

:lamo

To be fair, I was stationed in Okinawa in 1975. Camp Fatima , 1st. M.A.W., M.A.G. 36 (IIRC). There was an Air Evac which birds and support personnel from many units were participants in Saigon Evac which I believe was operation Frequent Winds. So, technically, it was possible he was there. I'm 63, and was stationed there in '75. I saw heavy action...…...on the football field. ;) Oh, and if he said he was a "Viet Nam era Veteran", that would be correct, although I never say that.

Last edited:

We won this before CNN ran the story. :lamo

Don't get pissed off at us, because this horse**** blew up in your faces.

Good for you something to hang your MAGA hat on.....
Who's pissed anyway? This was a stupid non-story to me from the beginning.

Even though his veteran status is completely irrelevant to the recent event in D.C..

I love that some are discussing who this is a "win" for.

Not what we should learn from this, but you be you.

Who are you referring to? There’s fault “on many sides” of the incident. ;)

Even though his veteran status is completely irrelevant to the recent event in D.C..

It's very relevant. It's another lie heaped upon the big pile of lies that already exists.

His words....

"Phillips also described coming back to the U.S. as a veteran of the Vietnam era. “People called me a baby killer and a hippie girl spit on me.”
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryt...ton-national-cemetery-tMOxOLqrJU6Ux9hZvXAzYQ/

Ah...see the edit at the bottom of the page...

Note: This article has been adjusted from it's original version to show that Nathan Phillips was a Vietnam-era veteran and that he was spit on while in uniform as opposed to when he was returning from combat.

I've known a lot of Nam vets. Although there was a severe Viet Nam hangover here after the war, the "spitting on returning vets being spit on", is a myth. If anybody would've spit on me, they would've gotten knocked on their ass.

I've known a lot of Nam vets. Although there was a severe Viet Nam hangover here after the war, the "spitting on returning vets being spit on", is a myth. If anybody would've spit on me, they would've gotten knocked on their ass.
Its a pretty commonly regurgitated rhetorical line from the times. What is telling is that he spoke the words, but later on the article was edited to walk back from the claim he was in country.

Knew this was coming....

Its a pretty commonly regurgitated rhetorical line from the times. What is telling is that he spoke the words, but later on the article was edited to walk back from the claim he was in country.

Yeah...it was "nuanced"....

Wait...are you saying a marine wouldnt refer to himself as a 'ranger'?

:lamo

Actually there is Force Recon. When I was in bootcamp we would sing while running, "I wanna be a recon ranger, I wanna live a life of danger...…. But I couldn't tell you what they called themselves in recon, I was a supply geek.:peace

I love that some are discussing who this is a "win" for.

Not what we should learn from this, but you be you.

What we should learn from this is idiot leftists should stop eagerly swallowing the bull**** lies the leftist media keeps feeding them. But since we know THAT **** isnt going to happen, you want to find a way to make this be about how really...the idiot leftists werent REALLY wrong for their actions...and cant we all just get along? Cant we just learn a lesson...and maybe make sure MAGA hats are always vilified and the white teens are always the bad guys? After all...blacks and Indians have centuries of oppression so their upset was understandable, even if it was MAYBE not fully appropriate in response to the white teens.

Actually there is Force Recon. When I was in bootcamp we would sing while running, "I wanna be a recon ranger, I wanna live a life of danger...…. But I couldn't tell you what they called themselves in recon, I was a supply geek.:peace

Recon is simply 'recon'. Proudly so.

Back
Top Bottom