• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nate Silver moving blog from NYTimes to ESPN

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This looks like a great addition for ESPN and ABC, according to the NYT's MSNBC was interested in him as well.

Nate Silver moving blog from NYTimes to ESPN | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

Nate Silver made it official today– he’s taking his act to ESPN.

The political blogger and the sports network announced today that Silver is moving his fivethirtyeight blog away from the New York Times, confirming published reports. The site, which will revert to its original name of FiveThirtyEight.com, will include both sports and elections coverage. It will be edited independently, like ESPN’s Grantland sports and pop culture site.

natesilver.jpg

Silver won acclaim by using statistical models to predict both the worst-to-first rise of the Tampa Bay Rays in 2008 and the outcome of the 2008 presidential election in 49 of 50 states, missing only Indiana. He took his site to the Times in 2010. He confirmed his election success in 2012 with a perfect 50-state record.

The New Republic has a good article about the tensions between Silver and the Times, and whether the newspaper could have done anything to avoid the defection of a blogger who reportedly drove 20 percent of the Times’ web traffic during the campaign season last year. Given ESPN’s larger resources and footprint–Silver will appear on television on both ESPN and ABC as well as blogging–the answer is probably not. It’s one more sign of how media power is shifting.​

This looks like a great addition for ESPN and ABC, according to the NYT's MSNBC was interested in him as well.

Nate Silver moving blog from NYTimes to ESPN | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

Nate Silver made it official today– he’s taking his act to ESPN.

The political blogger and the sports network announced today that Silver is moving his fivethirtyeight blog away from the New York Times, confirming published reports. The site, which will revert to its original name of FiveThirtyEight.com, will include both sports and elections coverage. It will be edited independently, like ESPN’s Grantland sports and pop culture site.

natesilver.jpg

Silver won acclaim by using statistical models to predict both the worst-to-first rise of the Tampa Bay Rays in 2008 and the outcome of the 2008 presidential election in 49 of 50 states, missing only Indiana. He took his site to the Times in 2010. He confirmed his election success in 2012 with a perfect 50-state record.

The New Republic has a good article about the tensions between Silver and the Times, and whether the newspaper could have done anything to avoid the defection of a blogger who reportedly drove 20 percent of the Times’ web traffic during the campaign season last year. Given ESPN’s larger resources and footprint–Silver will appear on television on both ESPN and ABC as well as blogging–the answer is probably not. It’s one more sign of how media power is shifting.​

Awesome. Silver always has great baseball commentary, and I bet it will ramp up until interest in elections starts again.

I wonder if he will be tag teaming with Olbermann??

Thanks for this news PB. This is a great coup for ABC. Silver is god in this business.

Awesome. Silver always has great baseball commentary, and I bet it will ramp up until interest in elections starts again.

Now that is one terrific suggestion. I would pay to watch that every night.

Now that is one terrific suggestion. I would pay to watch that every night.

Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight Blog Is to Join ESPN Staff

Nate Silver, the statistician who attained national fame for his accurate projections about the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, is parting ways with The New York Times and moving his FiveThirtyEight franchise to ESPN, the sports empire controlled by the Walt Disney Company, according to ESPN employees with direct knowledge of his plans.

At ESPN, Mr. Silver is expected to have a wide-ranging portfolio. Along with his writing and number-crunching, he will most likely be a regular contributor to “Olbermann,” the late-night ESPN2 talk show hosted by Keith Olbermann that will have its debut at the end of August. In political years, he will also have a role at ABC News, which is owned by Disney.

Snip

Silver is the most intelligent and insightful and systematic of all the mages of Big Data. He consistently gets it right.

At ESPN, Mr. Silver is expected to have a wide-ranging portfolio. Along with his writing and number-crunching, he will most likely be a regular contributor to “Olbermann,” the late-night ESPN2 talk show hosted by Keith Olbermann that will have its debut at the end of August. In political years, he will also have a role at ABC News, which is owned by Disney.

Snip

Oh happy day!!!!!!! :cool::lol:

Back
Top Bottom