• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nashville School Shooting

Michael McMahon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
"A gunwoman wielding two “assault-style” rifles and a pistol killed three pupils and three adults at a private Christian school in Nashville, Tennessee, on Monday, in the latest in a series of mass shootings in a country growing increasingly unnerved by bloodshed in schools."
https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/g...-adults-dead-at-nashville-school-1454125.html

An undercover agent in a criminal gang often has to aid and abet in lesser crimes in order to stop bigger crimes. As such if I ever sound hysterically anti-American I'm really just mimicking what an evil person might have been tempted to say on the topic! Any elderly woman in America who's armed with a gun could be as dangerous as the worst criminals even if the gun is intended as an equaliser. As such Americans would somehow have to be vigilant against every demure person when they're all armed. Anyone could be a wolf in sheep's clothing. An assualt rifle category is often ridiculed by gun rights' folk and yet a hunting rifle can also be used to hunt people.

As a group, we're doing a lousy job of protecting our children.
I was reading that for every school shooting, approximately 170 other children are extremely traumatized by the incident.
Sometimes I wonder if kids bury their body, eyes and soul into phones simply because reality is getting horrifying.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I feel actually. HUNTED. America sucks, especially for its children.

And yet you probably drive around on our highways with barely a care in the world, even though you are probably ten times more likely to get killed there than by a gunman.

As a group, we're doing a lousy job of protecting our children.
I was reading that for every school shooting, approximately 170 other children are extremely traumatized by the incident.
Sometimes I wonder if kids bury their body, eyes and soul into phones simply because reality is getting horrifying.

What's actually traumatizing more children is the exaggeration of the risk, especially all the unnecessary drills and false alarms. Meanwhile, schools in CA let people walk onto campus without even identifying themselves.

"A gunwoman wielding two “assault-style” rifles and a pistol killed three pupils and three adults at a private Christian school in Nashville, Tennessee, on Monday, in the latest in a series of mass shootings in a country growing increasingly unnerved by bloodshed in schools."
https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/g...-adults-dead-at-nashville-school-1454125.html

An undercover agent in a criminal gang often has to aid and abet in lesser crimes in order to stop bigger crimes. As such if I ever sound hysterically anti-American I'm really just mimicking what an evil person might have been tempted to say on the topic! Any elderly woman in America who's armed with a gun could be as dangerous as the worst criminals even if the gun is intended as an equaliser. As such Americans would somehow have to be vigilant against every demure person when they're all armed. Anyone could be a wolf in sheep's clothing. An assualt rifle category is often ridiculed by gun rights' folk and yet a hunting rifle can also be used to hunt people.
There's no difference between an AR-15 and a hunting rifle. Considering you can hunt with an AR-15 people do it all the time.

Interesting that you associate guns with Americanism, while at the same time using "evil" "hysterical" and "anti-American" in the same sentence, while making the same old war weary arguments I heard in the 50's. What fucvking difference does it make what you call the instrument of death, "semi-automatic" or "assault rifle" (a legal term in Canada)? It is still a machine designed for the specific purpose of killing another human and looking cool at the same time.

Guess what. Canada has more long rifles per capita than the US, but virtually no hand guns. Come up and take on a Grizzly with one of those 7.65 mm.

A semi automatic weapon is no longer 'sport', it's like using hand grenades to fish.

There's no difference between an AR-15 and a hunting rifle. Considering you can hunt with an AR-15 people do it all the time.

Surely you mean a semi-automatic hunting rifle with a 10+ round magazine, CLAX1911?

Interesting that you associate guns with Americanism, while at the same time using "evil" "hysterical" and "anti-American" in the same sentence, while making the same old war weary arguments I heard in the 50's. What fucvking difference does it make what you call the instrument of death, "semi-automatic" or "assault rifle" (a legal term in Canada)? It is still a machine designed for the specific purpose of killing another human and looking cool at the same time.
To the 20 million that aren't being used to kill people are being used improperly? You think these people should be killing people because that's apparently what you think the firearm is for?
Guess what. Canada has more long rifles per capita than the US, but virtually no hand guns. Come up and take on a Grizzly with one of those 7.65 mm.

A semi automatic weapon is no longer 'sport', it's like using hand grenades to fish.
That doesn't make sense. Why does loading the bolt manually and the bolts being reloaded after a shot is fired have anything to do power.

It's actually more like fishing with a rod and reel versus just a stick.

They bolt action rifle that shoots 223 is not lower firepower than a bolt action rifle that cheats 223 but is also semi-automatic

Surely you mean a semi-automatic hunting rifle with a 10+ round magazine, CLAX1911?
You can hunt with any rifle. Whether it's semi-automatic or bolt action or pump action single shot that doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what magazine capacity has to do with anything.

You can hunt with any rifle. Whether it's semi-automatic or bolt action or pump action single shot that doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what magazine capacity has to do with anything.
There's no difference between an AR-15 and a hunting rifle.
I don’t know how to say this without sounding mean or condescending but…

…genuinely, how can you NOT understand that a semiautomatic rifle with a 30 round mag is a much better weapon to kill a large number of people than a literal bolt action rifle? Yes, you can modify hunting rifles to take a 30 round mag. But there is an astronomical difference between the effectiveness of a bolt action rifle and a semiautomatic.

Okay well I do apologize. There's no such thing as a hunting rifle. You can hunt with any rifle.
…genuinely, how can you NOT understand that a semiautomatic rifle with a 30 round mag is a much better weapon to kill a large number of people than a literal bolt action rifle?
So are assault weapons all weapons that have magazines? Because you can fit a 20 30 40 round magazine up to several hundred round magazines into just about any gun.
Yes, you can modify hunting rifles to take a 30 round mag.
Well wait a minute is a gun that takes a magazine that's detachable which I think is what you mean an assault weapon or a hunting rifle? There's no modification you just buy you a bigger magazine
But there is an astronomical difference between the effectiveness of a bolt action rifle and a semiautomatic.
Not really if you're shooting people that aren't armed slowing it down by half a second isn't going to do anything.

How long do you think it takes to cycle a bolt manually?

Not really if you're shooting people that aren't armed slowing it down by half a second isn't going to do anything.
If you are firing about once a second with an AR-15 (a fast but reasonably achievable rate if you aren’t aiming) a half second is literally 50% slower. It also requires much more training to become that proficient at operating a bolt action rifle that quickly, and you’ll never be able to fire it at the same rate as an AR-15 with the same level of accuracy.

I don’t even understand why you are arguing this at all. Nobody uses bolt action rifles as their primary assault weapons. It’s so self evident that simply pulling a trigger is easier.

If you are firing about once a second with an AR-15 (a fast but reasonably achievable rate if you aren’t aiming) a half second is literally 50% slower.
Why aren't you aiming you don't have to take your eyes off the site where the target if you aimed your first shot and you fire 30 shots and you didn't move your eyes or your target didn't move you're still aiming.
It also requires much more training to become that proficient at operating a bolt action rifle that quickly, and you’ll never be able to fire it at the same rate as an AR-15 with the same level of accuracy.
Why? Wrecking a boat isn't that complicated turned back forward turn I mean you can master that in about 3 seconds. The rate of fire is the same for both of them one round per trigger pull. Rounds per minute is stuff for machine guns
I don’t even understand why you are arguing this at all. Nobody uses bolt action rifles as their primary assault weapons.
You can use a cast iron frying pan for an assault weapon all the salt weapon means is a weapon you use to assault somebody and most people use pistols anyway. People using rifles to commit an assault is extremely rare. Besides you can use a pump action rifle or lever action rifle where any other semi-automatic rifle besides an AR-15.
It’s so self evident that simply pulling a trigger is easier.
True but we're talking about something that's extraordinarily simple that really doesn't make a difference.

But again I'm going to have to ask you are you talking about all semi-automatic firearms or just the AR-15?

That's exactly how I feel actually. HUNTED. America sucks, especially for its children.
You probably wouldn't have liked the Cold War with 6,000 half-megaton (or larger) warheads always only minutes away from killing everyone in the United States.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would say that the AR-15 is a hunting rifle.

What fucvking difference does it make what you call the instrument of death, "semi-automatic" or "assault rifle" (a legal term in Canada)?
"Assault rifle" refers to those guns that have full-auto capability.

People who refer to semi-auto rifles with that term are using a fraudulent definition.

It is still a machine designed for the specific purpose of killing another human and looking cool at the same time.
That is incorrect. Many semi-auto guns are designed for hunting game animals, preserving life, or just plain target shooting.

That is incorrect. There are many sporting semi-autos. The AR-15 for example.

An AR-15 would likely use a smaller magazine if currently being used to hunt game animals.

…genuinely, how can you NOT understand that a semiautomatic rifle with a 30 round mag is a much better weapon to kill a large number of people than a literal bolt action rifle? Yes, you can modify hunting rifles to take a 30 round mag. But there is an astronomical difference between the effectiveness of a bolt action rifle and a semiautomatic.
Bolt actions are on the slow side. But lever and pump actions can produce aimed fire at pretty close to the rate that a semi-auto can produce aimed fire.

Lever and pump guns cannot be fired prone however. That's why semi-autos are best for self defense.

Bolt actions are on the slow side. But lever and pump actions can produce aimed fire at pretty close to the rate that a semi-auto can produce aimed fire.
Yes, that’s certainly true.

And yet you probably drive around on our highways with barely a care in the world, even though you are probably ten times more likely to get killed there than by a gunman.

That's a good point, Noodle, but the difference is that we fully expect traffic accidents to happen. But when we reach a point where we start expecting school shootings to happen, then we'll need to do something about it. And many people believe that time is now.

I know this would be expensive, but maybe a solution would be to require that at least one armed guard be at each door of the building, along with a metal detector.

Other than that--or more limits on firearms--I'm stumped (my natural state).

What "gunwoman"? The Nashville shooter was a man pretending to be a woman.

They say that the killer was born a female and that she later identified as a man.

Therefore, isn't that person now a transgender man?

So why do the TV news readers all use "she" when referring to that person instead of "he"?

I use a thirty round magazine when I go hunting. I'm such a bad shot I need to put xanax in the acorn feed to attract the deer and once they fall asleep, it usually takes me ten or fifteen shots to finally hit it. There must be a ton of other bad shots out there beside me who need an ar-15 and thirty round magazines.

They say that the killer was born a female and that she later identified as a man.

So why do the TV news readers all use "she" when referring to that person instead of "he"?
It is unclear whether s/he had actually undergone any trans therapies or interventions. The police explained their use of the word trans because s/he used male pronouns on social media. Maybe today we'll get more clarity.

That is a very interesting insight. Almost like some sort of "filtered reality".

She lost that respect when she gunned down 9 year olds.

People who stand on the bodies of mass murder victims as a soap box to push for anti-2nd amendment laws are pieces of shit.

Back
Top Bottom