• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

NASCAR racing

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Just wondering if there are any other NASCAR fans out there....I haven't seen any other threads about it, so I'm guessing there's not too many 'round these here parts :mrgreen:

Re: Nascar

What the heck???? I KNOW I did it as NASCAR when I was typing the title of the thread....hmph.

LOL.....cnredd tried to fix the title for me, and ran into the same problem.....until he threw in the word "racing" at the end! Whatever works, right? :mrgreen:

Nascar must be a Southern thing. I don't get it. I saw a guy on Comedy Central the other taking about listening to Nascar on the radio. He said it was several hours of "they're turning left, they're left!" I haven't watched much but that's what it looks like to me, bunch a cars all going around in a circle.

It is mostly a Southern thing.....though I spent a lot of time in the South when I was little, I consider myself a Minnesotan because I did my MAJOR growing up there (i.e. teenage years)......and I thought NASCAR was stupid until I actually WENT to a race.....I promise you, if you have the opportunity to go to one, you won't be disappointed!

Stace said:
It is mostly a Southern thing.....though I spent a lot of time in the South when I was little, I consider myself a Minnesotan because I did my MAJOR growing up there (i.e. teenage years)......and I thought NASCAR was stupid until I actually WENT to a race.....I promise you, if you have the opportunity to go to one, you won't be disappointed!

Aren't the tickets several hundred each? Not sure I want to spend that kind of money going to see if I like something. Plus I'm in Oregon I'd have to travel just to go to a race. Love to travel, just think I prefer white sandy beaches rather then bleachers overlooking a black asphalt track.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's nothing to the sport. Lots of people seem to love it. I think it's the fastest growing sport in the US. Just probably not my thing. I mean billions of people love soccer or "futbol." I prefer football.

Pacridge said:
Aren't the tickets several hundred each? Not sure I want to spend that kind of money going to see if I like something. Plus I'm in Oregon I'd have to travel just to go to a race. Love to travel, just think I prefer white sandy beaches rather then bleachers overlooking a black asphalt track.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's nothing to the sport. Lots of people seem to love it. I think it's the fastest growing sport in the US. Just probably not my thing. I mean billions of people love soccer or "futbol." I prefer football.

Depends on what track you go to, and where you want to sit. A friend flew down last year to attend the Coca Cola 600 with me - one of the biggest races of the year, as it is the longest - because my husband was part of an Army detail that received coins from one of the Chiefs of Staff or something. Anyway, since I also held a military ID card, I was able to get us seats for $35 apiece, right on Turn 2. We ended up in the infield though (long story). But I don't think I've ever paid more than $100 for a single ticket, probably not even that much.

If International Speedway Corp. gets their way, there will be a track in Washington state sometime in the future. Until then, there's a couple of tracks in California......Trust me, I was just as skeptical as you are when my husband said he wanted to take his father to a race for his birthday....but I kept an open mind, and I'm glad I did. Turns out, my very first race was the last one NASCAR held at that particular track, so I even got to witness a little bit of history - AND the driver I picked to be "my" driver came in second, in one THE closest finishes in NASCAR history! Granted, NASCAR isn't for everyone, I just wish more people would have an open mind about it.

Stace said:
Just wondering if there are any other NASCAR fans out there....I haven't seen any other threads about it, so I'm guessing there's not too many 'round these here parts :mrgreen:
I grew up in and around Daytona birthplace of NASCAR so naturally I'm a fan.
I was there at the races from the time even when R. Petty was ascending the throne. I was working (law enforcement) the day the Dale Sr. hit the wall within a stones throw from the crash scene... Never did I see so many grown men cry at once... Self included. I had known him and Teresa (wife) for years as they always stayed at the same hotel I managed throughout the 80's. Once I helped pull Dale Jr. from the pool there when he hit the back of his head (explains much...lol) on the diving board. He took a few stitches. He was like 11, 12 maybe then.

Stace said:
Depends on what track you go to, and where you want to sit. A friend flew down last year to attend the Coca Cola 600 with me - one of the biggest races of the year, as it is the longest - because my husband was part of an Army detail that received coins from one of the Chiefs of Staff or something. Anyway, since I also held a military ID card, I was able to get us seats for $35 apiece, right on Turn 2. We ended up in the infield though (long story). But I don't think I've ever paid more than $100 for a single ticket, probably not even that much.

If International Speedway Corp. gets their way, there will be a track in Washington state sometime in the future. Until then, there's a couple of tracks in California......Trust me, I was just as skeptical as you are when my husband said he wanted to take his father to a race for his birthday....but I kept an open mind, and I'm glad I did. Turns out, my very first race was the last one NASCAR held at that particular track, so I even got to witness a little bit of history - AND the driver I picked to be "my" driver came in second, in one THE closest finishes in NASCAR history! Granted, NASCAR isn't for everyone, I just wish more people would have an open mind about it.

I'm really not putting down your sport. I went by Daytona last Nov. Was kinda of stunned at how large the place was.

Tell ya what if I'm somehwere near a track when there's a race I'll see about getting a ticket. Who's knows maybe by the end of the race I'll be yelling "He turned left, he turned left!"

Been a fan a long time. I used to live in Alabama and we'd go to both races at Talladega every year. Now the closest track to me is up in the Metroplex (Dallas-Fort Worth) area. I've been there a few times, but not very regular. I usually go when the ticket prices are right...free...LOL. There used to be a track in College Station, Tx., but that was a long time ago. There was talk a while back about building a track in south Texas, but haven't heard much about it lately.

Best way to go to a race is with a motor home in the infield. I'm not very good at sitting still or in one spot very long, so the camper is best for me.

I go to NHRA racing more now, mainly because of being nearer a track. Still the same way, with a motor home.

Pacridge said:
I'm really not putting down your sport. I went by Daytona last Nov. Was kinda of stunned at how large the place was.

Yeah, its kinda awesome when you're at the bottom of turn one at Talladega and the top (wall) of the track is about 5 or 6 stories high. Then the cars come by and they're almost like an airplane in a bank.

Pocono is about an hour and a half's drive from me... Dover about 2 and a half hours. I love Nascar, and have been watching it for awhile now. On digital cable, they have Nascar In-Car..and it is the most awesome way to watch the race, for me anyway. They pick 9 drivers each week, load a camera in the car, and then you watch as if you're sitting inside the car with the driver. You see out the front, out the back, watch as they zoom past other competitor's.

I've never been to a race, but then I can't be out in the sun for long period's of time, and they usually come to Pocono and Dover when it get's warmer. Eventually I'll be able to travel to a race, but right now.. my children are sucking up every free dime I have LOL

Argh...did any of y'all watch the Bud Shootout? I'm going to go into Stephen Colbert mode here....

Tip of the hat to Denny Hamlin for winning. He seems like a good kid.

Wag of the finger to Kyle Busch. He's a little punk and someone needs to beat some sense into him.

Wag of the finger to NASCAR for penalizing Carl Edwards. He didn't really have too many choices there.....and he LOST positions by going under the yellow line.

Another wag of the finger to NASCAR for sending Edwards to the NASCAR hauler afterwards.

And yet another wag of the finger to NASCAR for not sending Busch.

Wag of the finger to foxsports.com for trying to say that McMurray caused the first wreck. That was all Kyle Busch's fault. McMurray wouldn't have gotten into Newman if Busch wouldn't have got into him first.

Tip of the hat to Mark Martin for that excellent save.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Stace said:
Argh...did any of y'all watch the Bud Shootout? I'm going to go into Stephen Colbert mode here....

Tip of the hat to Denny Hamlin for winning. He seems like a good kid.

Wag of the finger to Kyle Busch. He's a little punk and someone needs to beat some sense into him.

Wag of the finger to NASCAR for penalizing Carl Edwards. He didn't really have too many choices there.....and he LOST positions by going under the yellow line.

Another wag of the finger to NASCAR for sending Edwards to the NASCAR hauler afterwards.

And yet another wag of the finger to NASCAR for not sending Busch.

Wag of the finger to foxsports.com for trying to say that McMurray caused the first wreck. That was all Kyle Busch's fault. McMurray wouldn't have gotten into Newman if Busch wouldn't have got into him first.

Tip of the hat to Mark Martin for that excellent save.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
We were going to go last night but it never stopped raining down here... Sounds like I didn't miss much today... 'xcept what sounds like frustration.
I agree Kyle is a punk but oddly I like his bro'... Seems I am alone there 'round here.
Everyone roots for M. Martin (local)... I thought he was retiring last year..?

Apostle13 said:
We were going to go last night but it never stopped raining down here... Sounds like I didn't miss much today... 'xcept what sounds like frustration.
I agree Kyle is a punk but oddly I like his bro'... Seems I am alone there 'round here.
Everyone roots for M. Martin (local)... I thought he was retiring last year..?

Mark was going to retire last year, but Jack begged him to stay for one more year, and since Mark is such a loyal guy (or a pushover, take your pick), he stayed on.

Yeah, I don't know too many people that like either of the Busch brothers. They're both too whiny for my liking, and they just have an attitude that says "I can do whatever I want because I'm a Busch" or something. They both just rub me the wrong way.

Stace said:
Mark was going to retire last year, but Jack begged him to stay for one more year, and since Mark is such a loyal guy (or a pushover, take your pick), he stayed on.

Yeah, I don't know too many people that like either of the Busch brothers. They're both too whiny for my liking, and they just have an attitude that says "I can do whatever I want because I'm a Busch" or something. They both just rub me the wrong way.
Yea... Even most of the drivers hate them from what I've seen and heard. Is Kurt driving the #2 car now?
Is it even a Ford?? Or do you know???
Mark never has made the Championship has he? Close a few times I know.

Apostle13 said:
Yea... Even most of the drivers hate them from what I've seen and heard. Is Kurt driving the #2 car now?

Yup, that's Kurt in the Miller Lite car.

Is it even a Ford?? Or do you know???

It's a Dodge. Both Penske cars are Dodges. And McMurray went from a Dodge with Ganassi to a Ford with Roush.

Mark never has made the Championship has he? Close a few times I know.

Sadly, Mark is probably the greatest driver to not yet win a championship. And I don't think he'll get it this year, either. He was putting everything he had into last year and I just don't think his heart is completely in it this year.

Stace said:
Yup, that's Kurt in the Miller Lite car.

It's a Dodge. Both Penske cars are Dodges. And McMurray went from a Dodge with Ganassi to a Ford with Roush.

Sadly, Mark is probably the greatest driver to not yet win a championship. And I don't think he'll get it this year, either. He was putting everything he had into last year and I just don't think his heart is completely in it this year.

I watched some qualifying today. Didn't watch much, had to go hang dry wall at my daughters. I'll watch a race, or at least some of it, when I see one on. Sure hope it's more exciting then the qual. laps.

Or is this something you have to be at "live" to appreciate?

Pacridge said:
I watched some qualifying today. Didn't watch much, had to go hang dry wall at my daughters. I'll watch a race, or at least some of it, when I see one on. Sure hope it's more exciting then the qual. laps.

Or is this something you have to be at "live" to appreciate?

Qualifying laps are extremely boring. And what you saw today? Was only PRE qualifying for the Daytona 500. On Thursday, they'll run the Gatorade Duels....the guys that qualified first and second today have their spots locked in, but everyone else will be split into two groups and will then race each other for their actual starting position for next Sunday.

Thank goodness they don't do that for every race! But yeah, qualifying and practice sessions are most likely a lot more interesting if you see them live, but I've never had the opportunity to do that yet.....

Stace said:
Qualifying laps are extremely boring. And what you saw today? Was only PRE qualifying for the Daytona 500. On Thursday, they'll run the Gatorade Duels....the guys that qualified first and second today have their spots locked in, but everyone else will be split into two groups and will then race each other for their actual starting position for next Sunday.

Thank goodness they don't do that for every race! But yeah, qualifying and practice sessions are most likely a lot more interesting if you see them live, but I've never had the opportunity to do that yet.....

Well I wouldn't be interested in watching NFL practice sessions. I sure as heck wouldn't be interested in pre-practice sessions. Sounds like maybe that's basically what I was watching. Personally I find it amazing they took up national TV time with this. Guess that just shows how popular this sport is becoming.

As promised I'll watch a race when I get a chance. I maybe in Reno or Vegas next weekend, anybody I should be placing a bet on?

Let's see how fast we can drive around in a circle. Boy, is that entertaining!

Pacridge said:
Well I wouldn't be interested in watching NFL practice sessions. I sure as heck wouldn't be interested in pre-practice sessions. Sounds like maybe that's basically what I was watching. Personally I find it amazing they took up national TV time with this. Guess that just shows how popular this sport is becoming.

As promised I'll watch a race when I get a chance. I maybe in Reno or Vegas next weekend, anybody I should be placing a bet on?

NASCAR is the second most popular sport in America, right behind football.

Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. are always favorites for a Daytona win, but I wouldn't count out Tony Stewart, either.

Billo_Really said:
Let's see how fast we can drive around in a circle. Boy, is that entertaining!

GO to a race, Billo. I promise you that it is a lot more than just driving in circles.

Originally posted by Stace:
NASCAR is the second most popular sport in America, right behind football.

Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. are always favorites for a Daytona win, but I wouldn't count out Tony Stewart, either.
Actually, auto racing is the No. 1 attendance sport in the country.

Originally posted by Stace:
GO to a race, Billo. I promise you that it is a lot more than just driving in circles.
That's what my friend says about hockey.

Back
Top Bottom