• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NASA to study a space rock that could hit Earth

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Sounds more like an excuse to explore an asteroid then anything else.

'Hey, I would love to explore _________, but we can't find the money.'

'I know...just say we fear it might strike the Earth and kill everyone...they will give us all the money we need then.'

I don't plan on having grandchildren...it can destroy the Earth for all I care.

I do not have a high opinion of humanity (on the whole) as it is. I really don't think the universe would miss us.

I don't wish bad on it...but I am not going to mourn too long if it does not endure.

It most likely wouldn't wipe out all of humanity, but it could be a major setback. Even if 99.9% of humans were killed, there still would be over seven million of us. We'd come back in another few thousand years.

So, it's no big deal, right?

Oh, and BTW, there could well be other space rocks out there, maybe some of the size of the one that wiped out the dinosaurs. Earth is about due for another hit from space.

I don't plan on having grandchildren...it can destroy the Earth for all I care.

I do not have a high opinion of humanity (on the whole) as it is. I really don't think the universe would miss us.

I don't wish bad on it...but I am not going to mourn too long if it does not endure.

eeyore.jpg

'I know...just say we fear it might strike the Earth and kill everyone...they will give us all the money we need then.'
Exactly, scientists are so sketchy.

I like the pic, btw.

Hey...humanity is a very cruel and selfish race that I have very little respect for (with lots of notable exceptions). The instinct of too many people is still to hurt and abuse - just watch the news - to get ahead. I find that disgusting and disappointing.

And if the staggering number of arrogant idiots/jerks (with lots of exceptions) on this place/chat forums are any indication...humanity is doomed.

Is there any talk about NASA funding from the Clinton camp? I'm assuming Trump won't be into it, but I'd like to see them get some more money. The technology we get as a byproduct is enough to warrant the investment.

Oh come on even your bizarre anti-public space travel ideology can make an exception for "learn how to deflect asteroids."

Oh come on even your bizarre anti-public space travel ideology can make an exception for "learn how to deflect asteroids."

This from the guy who wants to spend hundreds of billions of tax dollars to send a few Americans to Mars when America is knee deep in debt, 40 million Americans would starve without government assistance and the middle class is dying...talk about bizarre.

I am thinking of what's best for America. You - and many others - want NASA to go space exploring no matter how broke America is. Fine...then do it on your own dime - not mine.
I am 100% for privately funded space exploration. And 100% against public space exploration.
If you are really so selfish and short-sighted that you cannot see how ridiculous sending people to Mars on taxpayer dollars is...then stop replying to me as you are too far gone on this to waste my time on.

But first...

the above it's called cynicism. I simply do not trust NASA.

They know money is tight and these are very smart people. They also know that if they claim a rock they want to look at may hit the Earth (long after most of us are dead, btw) that they will get all the money they want.

Prove I am wrong and please stop being so incredibly naive and trusting.

'Oh...NASA is wonderful and they would never lie to us to finance their projects'.

:roll:

Could this be legit...sure.

But I need more proof then go-fever-NASA to convince me.

And so should you.

Last edited:
This from the guy who wants to spend hundreds of billions of tax dollars to send a few Americans to Mars when America is knee deep in debt, 40 million Americans would starve without government assistance and the middle class is dying...talk about bizarre.

I am thinking of what's best for America. You - and many others - want NASA to go space exploring no matter how broke America is. Fine...then do it on your own dime - not mine.
I am 100% for privately funded space exploration. And 100% against public space exploration.
If you are really so selfish and short-sighted that you cannot see how ridiculous sending people to Mars on taxpayer dollars is...then stop replying to me as you are too far gone on this to waste my time on.

But first...

They know money is tight and these are very smart people. They also know that if they claim a rock they want to look at may hit the Earth (long after most of us are dead, btw) that they will get all the money they want.

'Oh...NASA is wonderful and they would never lie to us to finance their projects'.

And so should you.

I dunno there, DA, but of all the government agencies, I think NASA is probably the most trustful, where I think the CIA, IRS, and NSA are the least trustful.

I dunno there, DA, but of all the government agencies, I think NASA is probably the most trustful, where I think the CIA, IRS, and NSA are the least trustful.

<The following is not referring to you, btw.>

Oh...it could be legit. What I object to is the masses are all starry-eyed about NASA. Even though this same agency got 14 brave astronauts killed strictly due to Go Fever. And if you read the reports on those accidents, the lack of concern for the safety of those astronauts was staggering.
IMO, people have to stop trusting government - ALL levels of government. They should require proof before they accept.

I just trust nothing from the government without unbiased corroboration.

Honestly, my gut feeling is this is probably legit.

But my point is valid, I think. NASA now knows how to get funding for something...scare people. So, from now on, every time they want to study a rock - they just have to suggest that it could possibly hit the Earth and I guarantee you they will be flooded with more money then they know what to do with.

Vigilance is what I am seeking and the end to blind trust for NASA from the general public.

But first...

And so should you.

Even if this rock definitely isn't going to hit us, the rendezvous, attachment, and study of an asteroid would provide extremely valuable information for potentially deflecting one in the future.

See, we don't really even know anything about asteroids or comets. Until the 2014 Rosetta mission, nobody had ever gotten a close look at either. We're not even really sure how solid they tend to be: are they a solid piece of rock or do they tend to be a loose, gravelly clump that only sticks together because of gravity and a general lack of anything breaking them up? Important to know in case we ever want to smash into one, or blow it up with a missile, or try to grapple it to deflect its course.

We need to know this stuff before we need to know this stuff, ya know? We can't wait for an imminent impact to start learning what the damned things are even made of. Oh ****, the grapple plan isn't going to work because we just broke off a tiny piece of it instead of latching on. Sorry, Ohio. Enjoy the 3 gigaton-equivalent impact event.

Sorry, I'm not going to play your little "prove a negative" game. It's not up to me to prove or disprove your allegations for you. Plus, I don't care. The mission itself is sufficient for me to support regardless of whether this particular rock has a chance of hitting us. The information they gather is valuable in of itself.

I like how your anti-Mars screed has escalated to "hundreds of billions," to "send a few Americans," and has now decided to imply going to Mars would literally cause 40 million people to die of starvation. Jesus Christ. No, I'm not going to stop calling you out on that tremendous pile of bull****.

Oh...it could be legit. What I object to is the masses are all starry-eyed about NASA. Even though this same agency got 14 brave astronauts killed strictly due to Go Fever. And if you read the reports on those accidents, the lack of concern for the safety of those astronauts was staggering.
IMO, people have to stop trusting government - ALL levels of government. They should require proof before they accept.

But my point is valid, I think. NASA now knows how to get funding for something...scare people. So, from now on, every time they want to study a rock - they just have to suggest that it could possibly hit the Earth and I guarantee you they will be flooded with more money then they know what to do with.

Vigilance is what I am seeking and the end to blind trust for NASA from the general public.

Nasa: Hey guys, lets scare everyone into giving us money by telling them that an asteroid will hit....... in a few centuries.

Good job NASA didn't write armageddon.

contract the problem to space X

how much is preserving our planet worth?

"NASA now knows how to get funding for something...scare people."
I think this applicable to anyone in government, anyone in business, anyone in politics, really.
Nasa: Hey guys, lets scare everyone into giving us money by telling them that an asteroid will hit....... in a few centuries.

Good job NASA didn't write armageddon.

LOL. Yeah, that's true.

contract the problem to space X

how much is preserving our planet worth?

Applying free market supply and demand concepts, the price should come out to roughly infinity dollars.

Applying free market supply and demand concepts, the price should come out to roughly infinity dollars.

a dollar more and it's yours

Just as long as NASA doesn't bump it into a collision course trajectory. OK.

Ummm, NASA is a Government agency, and they had their bad days, so you have to figure the percentages of something going wrong, 50/50.

Ummm, NASA is a Government agency, and they had their bad days, so you have to figure the percentages of something going wrong, 50/50.

Weeellll, Maaaaayyyy beeee they'd better not touch down on that asteroid then.

Weeellll, Maaaaayyyy beeee they'd better not touch down on that asteroid then.

Maaaaayyyy beee you are right, but then again where is the fun in that.

Maaaaayyyy beee you are right, but then again where is the fun in that.

They do say that deadlines and consequences bring out the best in people and organizations.

NASA screws up and sends the asteroid on an Earth collision course to Earth.
NASA, under a serious gun now, invents an asteroid defense system, which wards off the asteroid, as well as all the others that come our way.

Yeaaahhh! Could be a movie script.

Back
Top Bottom