• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NASA preparing for launch of Ukrainian produced Antares rocket to the International Space Station

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
NASA preparing for launch of Ukrainian produced Antares rocket to the International Space Station

830199_main.jpg

In this image released by NASA, the Orbital ATK Antares rocket launches from Pad-0A on May 21, 2018 at NASA's
Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.

11/10/18
The next launch of the Antares middle-class launch vehicle produced in in Ukraine under the NASA contract for the provision of commercial supply services (CRS) to the International Space Station (ISS) is scheduled for Nov. 15. The NASA Wallops Flight Facility and Virginia’s Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport are set to support the launch of the Antares rocket, carrying the company’s Cygnus cargo spacecraft to the International Space Station at 4:49 a.m. EST. This launch will be the tenth. The previous launch was in May 2018.

In June, the American partner of Ukraine in the project, American Orbital ATK, the former largest American supplier of aerospace and defense equipment, was officially transformed into a new division of the American defense corporation Northrop Grumman Corp. – Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems. Earlier, in September 2017, Northrop Grumman Corp. announced the acquisition of Orbital ATK for $7.8 billion. Ukraine has been cooperating with the U.S.A. on the Antares project since 2008. The basic structure of the first phase of the Antares rocket was designed by Pivdenne Design Bureau and made by Pivdenmash (both based in Dnipro). Ukraine’s Hartron-Arkos, Hartron-Ucom, Chezara (Chernihiv Plant of Radio Equipment), and Rapid are also involved in cooperation on the project.

The "escape-velocity" RD-180 rocket engine thrusters used by the US Atlas V launch vehicle to power supply missions to the ISS were originally designed and manufactured by Ukraine.

830199_main.jpg

In this image released by NASA, the Orbital ATK Antares rocket launches from Pad-0A on May 21, 2018 at NASA's

The "escape-velocity" RD-180 rocket engine thrusters used by the US Atlas V launch vehicle to power supply missions to the ISS were originally designed and manufactured by Ukraine.

So what? They're manufactured now by United Launch Alliance in Decatur, Alabama.

830199_main.jpg

most of the USSR Space industry was located in Ukraine and Belarus . it´d be great if you post here situation around Muscovite Space industry today , its a total collapse

So what? They're manufactured now by United Launch Alliance in Decatur, Alabama.

The Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Antares (OP topic) first stage rocket is designed and manufactured by Yuzhnoye SDO of Ukraine.

Antares (rocket)

The Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Antares (OP topic) first stage rocket is designed and manufactured by Yuzhnoye SDO of Ukraine.

Antares (rocket)

OK. I was responding to this:

OK. I was responding to this:

And that statement is true. The Russian rockets used to resupply the ISS from Russia's Cosmodrome and also some US Atlas V rockets launched from the US utilized Russian RD-180 rocket engine thrusters designed and manufactured by Ukraine. Due to the illegal Crimea annexation and the kinetic war in eastern Ukraine, Ukraine stopped delivering these thruster engines to the Putin regime. The Yuzhnoye Design Bureau of Ukraine and Northrup Grumman now collaborate on the expendable Antares rockets used for NASA ISS resupply and lifting heavy (11,000 lb) commercial/military/NASA payloads into orbit. This collaboration is also working on space habitats for the moon and Mars and the requisite delivery systems.

743121main_201304210006HQ_full.0.0.jpg

Antares rocket lifts off from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia bound for the International Space Station.

And that statement is true. The Russian rockets used to resupply the ISS from Russia's Cosmodrome and also some US Atlas V rockets launched from the US utilized Russian RD-180 rocket engine thrusters designed and manufactured by Ukraine. Due to the illegal Crimea annexation and the kinetic war in eastern Ukraine, Ukraine stopped delivering these thruster engines to the Putin regime. The Yuzhnoye Design Bureau of Ukraine and Northrup Grumman now collaborate on the expendable Antares rockets used for NASA ISS resupply and lifting heavy (11,000 lb) commercial/military/NASA payloads into orbit. This collaboration is also working on space habitats for the moon and Mars and the requisite delivery systems.

743121main_201304210006HQ_full.0.0.jpg

Antares rocket lifts off from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia bound for the International Space Station.

I didn't say it wasn't true. I said the RD-180s used on the Atlas are manufactured by United Launch Alliance in Decatur, AL. So, they're American rockets, even if they utilize a design which was originally Ukrainian.

Lmao, people arguing about agreeing which each other. This place is bizarre.

I didn't say it wasn't true. I said the RD-180s used on the Atlas are manufactured by United Launch Alliance in Decatur, AL. So, they're American rockets, even if they utilize a design which was originally Ukrainian.

They are now, but originally they were not.

Yeah, I don't get what he's on about.

I don't get what you don't understand here, even with supplied links lol. A detail you neglected. This isn't exactly rocket science (pun intended).

As always, a waste of time exchanging posts with you.

I don't get what you don't understand here, even with supplied links lol. A detail you neglected. This isn't exactly rocket science (pun intended).

As always, a waste of time exchanging posts with you.

What did I "neglect"?

Look at my posts. I said the RD-180 rocket engines are manufactured NOW by ULA, and that the design is of Ukrainian origin.

What did I leave out? You said I did, so tell me specifically what.

And then tell me why it's so important to you that the RD-180 was originally manufactured in Ukraine, seeing as you keep harping on it. That's a question I asked in my first post, and you have yet to answer.

The floor is yours.

What did I "neglect"?

Look at my posts. I said the RD-180 rocket engines are manufactured NOW by ULA, and that the design is of Ukrainian origin.

What did I leave out? You said I did, so tell me specifically what.

And then tell me why it's so important to you that the RD-180 was originally manufactured in Ukraine, seeing as you keep harping on it. That's a question I asked in my first post, and you have yet to answer.

The floor is yours.

Let's see if you can comprehend this.

The RD-180 (РД-180, Ракетный Двигатель-180, Rocket Engine-180) is a rocket engine designed and built in Russia. It features a dual combustion chamber, dual-nozzle design and is fueled by a kerosene/LOX mixture. Currently, RD-180 engines are used for the first stage of the US Atlas V launch vehicle. The RD-180 is derived from the RD-170/RD-171 line of rocket engines, which were used in the Soviet Energia launch vehicle, and are still in use in the Russian/Ukrainian Zenit launch vehicles.

The roots of the RD-180 rocket engine extend back into the Soviet Energia launch vehicle project. The RD-170, a four-chamber engine, was developed for use on the strap-on boosters for this vehicle, which ultimately was used to lift the Buran orbiter. This engine was scaled down to a two-chamber version by combining the RD-170's combustion devices with half-size turbomachinery. After successful performances in engine tests on a test stand and high-level agreements between the US government and the Russian government, the engines were imported to the US for use on the Lockheed Martin Atlas III, with first flight in 2000. The engine is also used on the United Launch Alliance Atlas V, the successor to the Atlas III.[1] Doubts about the reliability of the supply chain for the RD-180 arose following the Russian military intervention in Ukraine in March 2014.
RD-180

As I stated, prior to 2014 (Crimea/Donbas), NASA/ISS Soyuz and Atlas rockets used RD-180 thrust boosters designed and manufactured in Ukraine.

As it is now, RD-170/RD-180 thruster rockets are being used on US Atlas and Antares rockets which perform NASA/ISS/civilian/military tasks. United Launch Alliance manufactures RD-180 for Atlas rockets (it still has some spare RD-180 thrusters imported from Russia). The Yuzhnoye Design Bureau of Ukraine and Northrup Grumman now collaborate on the expendable Antares rockets and thrusters.

Capiché?

Another thread that belongs in the CT forum. A Russian part is used by America. What good can come of that?:lamo

Let's see if you can comprehend this.

RD-180

As I stated, prior to 2014 (Crimea/Donbas), NASA/ISS Soyuz and Atlas rockets used RD-180 thrust boosters designed and manufactured in Ukraine.

As it is now, RD-170/RD-180 thruster rockets are being used on US Atlas and Antares rockets which perform NASA/ISS/civilian/military tasks. United Launch Alliance manufactures RD-180 for Atlas rockets (it still has some spare RD-180 thrusters imported from Russia). The Yuzhnoye Design Bureau of Ukraine and Northrup Grumman now collaborate on the expendable Antares rockets and thrusters.

Capiché?

This is idiotic.

I didn't disagree with any of that, yet you continue to pretend I did, while avoiding the question I asked you.

If you want to know why conversations with you are useless, look in the mirror. You're being purposely moronic.

Another thread that belongs in the CT forum. A Russian part is used by America. What good can come of that?:lamo

Yes, apparently he thinks it's somehow significant that the RD-180 rocket engine is of Ukrainian origin, but won't say why. And then blames that on me, I guess.

Yes, apparently he thinks it's somehow significant that the RD-180 rocket engine is of Ukrainian origin, but won't say why. And then blames that on me, I guess.

I forgot Rogue Valley's nationality. It might be Ukrainian. Think Rogue Valley may wish to tie this into the conflict between and Russia. Does he know the term passive-agressive?

Indeed. As I stated earlier, any exchanges with you are a waste.

Once again, you validate the consensus.

So you're tripling down on the idiocy.

You keep repeating things I didn't disagree with, and indeed, to the extent it even overlapped with anything I said, I agreed with them. Yet you keep pretending you're somehow schooling me.

And you won't even say why you think what you keep repeating is even important in the first place.

The waste of time here is entirely on you.

I forgot Rogue Valley's nationality. It might be Ukrainian. Think Rogue Valley may wish to tie this into the conflict between and Russia. Does he know the term passive-agressive?

I have no idea what his nationality is, nor do I care -- his brand of inexplicable stubborn idiocy respects no borders.

I have no idea what his nationality is, nor do I care -- his brand of inexplicable stubborn idiocy respects no borders.

I'm here all day every day Harshaw. You're not getting in the last word which is your measure of thread success.

I'm here all day every day Harshaw. You're not getting in the last word which is your measure of thread success.

If all you're going to do is keep refusing to say why you think it's so important to keep repeating that the RD-180 is of Ukrainian origin, something no one disagreed with, then you're just dutifully barking every time your name is called, for as long as your name keeps being called. How is latching your neck to someone else's chain a "success" for you?

I'm here all day. I can play your game indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom