• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Napolitano: ‘You’re Never Going to Totally Seal That Border’

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
CNSNews.com - Napolitano:

Quote(Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, whose agency is charged with securing America’s borders, told an audience in Washington, D.C., in reference to the U.S.-Mexico border, “You’re never going to totally seal that border.”)

So in a similar vein to Joe Biden I guess they will sit on whatever laurels they imagine they have earned and do nothing further.

Link
CNSNews.com - Napolitano:

Quote(Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, whose agency is charged with securing America’s borders, told an audience in Washington, D.C., in reference to the U.S.-Mexico border, “You’re never going to totally seal that border.”)

So in a similar vein to Joe Biden I guess they will sit on whatever laurels they imagine they have earned and do nothing further.

It's called being a realist. It's never going to hold everyone off. Part of the reason it's getting so bad in Arizona is because the walls built elsewhere are sending people that direction. As soon as you close it off fully, they'll figure other ways around it. Hell, on the Gaza / Egypt border they've managed to disguise miles long tunnels large enought to drive through.

Build your walls, but until you get at the underlying reasons for it, you've only delayed entry a little bit.

The failure to recognize that is to put bandaids on a growing tumor and claiming to be cancer free.

It's called being a realist.

No its called an excuse for not doing their sworn job.

It's never going to hold everyone off. Part of the reason it's getting so bad in Arizona is because the walls built elsewhere are sending people that direction. As soon as you close it off fully, they'll figure other ways around it. Hell, on the Gaza / Egypt border they've managed to disguise miles long tunnels large enought to drive through.

Build your walls, but until you get at the underlying reasons for it, you've only delayed entry a little bit.

The failure to recognize that is to put bandaids on a growing tumor and claiming to be cancer free.

Do you realize that the reason Arizona has become such a haven for illegals to flood in is because they don't have nearly as many walls as texas, New Mexico and Caliornia?

Glad you brought up the middle east since attacks are drastically down since Israel put up their wall. thanks for proving our point.

As far as your cancer analogy goes, I'd rather try a few bouts of chemo than do nothing but consult a voodoo doctor for treatment.

Are the signs being put up 80 miles inland warning Americans not to enter certain parts of the state because of illegal activity not enough for you?

At this point I would settle for cutting the illegal entry down to 100 or so a day in Arizona. Its been reported we have over 1000 entering illegally every day.

It's called being a realist. It's never going to hold everyone off. Part of the reason it's getting so bad in Arizona is because the walls built elsewhere are sending people that direction. As soon as you close it off fully, they'll figure other ways around it. Hell, on the Gaza / Egypt border they've managed to disguise miles long tunnels large enought to drive through.

If you had a leaky faucet would you close it as best you can so that only a little water gets through or do you let the water faucet run at full blast?

If you had a leaky faucet would you close it as best you can so that only a little water gets through or do you let the water faucet run at full blast?

The leaky faucet did not start on January 20, 2009. Both parties will eventually give in and give illegals citizenship through a Presidential amnesty and once, they become legal Americans, they will be kept happy with bread crumbs....welfare, extended unemployment benefits, food stamps, "free" healthcare.

So, gloomy indeed

It's not a leaky faucet. It's a two thousand mile border with a group of people that have a strong financial incentive to get across. Commenting that it can't be totally sealed is being realistic, not a dereliction of duty. You people really will take absolutely anything you can get wont you?

Short of a ten foot concrete wall with barbed wire across the entire thing you're not even going to make a dent in crossings.

Ok, but in arizona where it's gone to the point that there are sections of the state that are closed off to americans, can you REALLY still consider it an 'influx of illegal immigrants'??? Or do you call it like it is : AN INVASION.

I've seen COUNTLESS people get all gung ho about killing some random arab children, pushing to turn their sands into 'glass parking lots', etc... but FINALLY there is an ACTUAL JUSTIFIABLE conflict brewing and it's ignored... I've brought this point up in SEVERAL threads, and for some reason nobody even wants to talk about it.

You send a few thousand marines to sweep and clear that park and to send anyone caught back to Mexico, caught or in body bags, and that will send a message...

Or am I looking at this wrong, and we should just invite them over, tell them to sign up for welfare and give them total amnesty for their courageous journey?

You send a few thousand marines to sweep and clear that park and to send anyone caught back to Mexico, caught or in body bags, and that will send a message...

The pressure, the WH is putting on Arizona´s governor is ruthless. The governor will not call, the state National Guard because "Arizona doesn't have any money". The governor wants the feds to pay for it, and/or send troops. She knows damn well, the feds will not send jack****

Or am I looking at this wrong, and we should just invite them over, tell them to sign up for welfare and give them total amnesty for their courageous journey?

It appears that way

I'm not sure this new campaign slogan "no, we can't" has quite the same ring as the old.

Set up a no-man's land along the border for just one day, boom problem solved, and it's completely within international and domestic law, a nation has the right to secure its borders. No fuss no muss.

You have the right to secure your borders, but not to gun down innocent civillians who cross the border in a desperate attempt for a better life. Yeah it sucks, and it shouldn't happen, but killing is not the answer... it raises the stakes, and violence will be met with violence, and more people will die.

I don't know what the answer is... but if you wanna send marines to the border to play Rambo, you better be ready for all the consequences...

Another example of conservatives grossly exaggerating what liberals think. Hear it often enough and you actually start to think it's true!

Now, who is willing to sign up. Sign up, to kill women and children because thats what it will take to stop the leaky faucet

It's not a leaky faucet. It's a two thousand mile border with a group of people that have a strong financial incentive to get across.
If you secure all of it then it will be hard for those with a strong financial motive to get through. If states enacted laws similar to those in Arizona and Oklahoma then there will be less incentive for people to come here illegally, If you severely punish those who hire illegals then there will be less incentive for people to come here illegally.

Commenting that it can't be totally sealed is being realistic, not a dereliction of duty.
Its more of an excuse to not do their job. Its the you can't completely seal the border so we are not going to try to secure it or limit traffic through it.

You people really will take absolutely anything you can get wont you?

You people will do any and everything you can to undermine the efforts to control the border and illegal immigration. I do not care if a adequately manning the border and putting up a fence or wall does not a 100% stop illegal immigration and drug smuggling.What I do want is the government doing everything it can to put a huge dent in the people crossing the border illegally.

Short of a ten foot concrete wall with barbed wire across the entire thing you're not even going to make a dent in crossings.

If they have to go through a tunnel then not that many people are getting through.

Now, who is willing to sign up. Sign up, to kill women and children because thats what it will take to stop the leaky faucet
You do not have to kill women and children to stop illegal immigration. All you have to do is secure the border, crack down on those who aid illegals and severely punish those who aid illegals, allow police to verify the legal status of those they pull over for a traffic offense, deny tax payer funded benefits and services to illegals and many other things.

I'm not sure this new campaign slogan "no, we can't" has quite the same ring as the old.

To be perfectly honest " Yes we can" did not really advance us over much either.

You know what, Napolitano is right. We will never totally seal our border with Mexico. Just like we'll never totally prevent murder. Or totally wipe out illiteracy. Or totally do any number of things. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do our best to reduce the problem in a cost effective manner.

Focusing only on border enforcement is short sighted. Its part of the solution, but not the entire solution. As has been said by several folks we need to remove the incentives for coming here. How do we do this? Enact strong penalties for employers that hire illegals and aggressively enforce them. And remove all government benefits from illegal aliens - no welfare, no unemployment, no public schools for illegal children, no healthcare beyond immediate life saving measures, no driver's licenses. Nothing. (some of these things would require addressing Constitutional issues). With the lure of our social safety net and employment, the desire to come here illegally will diminish. Couple this with reasonable and effective border enforcement measures and we'll see a significant reduction in illegal immigration.

No one is asking or expecting a complete 100% reduction in illegal immigration. We're expecting government to actually do something besides turn a blind eye to the problem.

You have the right to secure your borders, but not to gun down innocent civillians who cross the border in a desperate attempt for a better life.

Actually any nation state has the right to secure their borders with the use of deadly force. By your logic the entire population of Mexico could decide to walk across the border and so long as they're unarmed we wouldn't be able to do a thing about it.

Last edited:
Actually any nation state has the right to secure their borders with the use of deadly force. By your logic the entire population of Mexico could decide to walk across the border and so long as they're unarmed we wouldn't be able to do a thing about it.

Deadly force from a deadly threat sure...

Are you seriously advocating the shooting of woman and children trying to cross the border?

Just because someonthing can't be done at 100% doesn't mean it shouldn't be done at all. Realistically we will never stop all illegal immigrants but we can do everything we can to get them to cross the border in a legal manner.

Deadly force from a deadly threat sure...

So again using your logic the entire population of Mexico could cross the border tomorrow and we would only be left with non-lethal means to secure the border. :roll: Try again, any nation state has the right to execute the use of deadly force against anyone attempting to cross their border without permission regardless of if they are armed or pose a direct threat, exceptions would include refugees forced to flee due to conflict but that is not the case in this situation. "Trespassers shot on sight."

Are you seriously advocating the shooting of woman and children trying to cross the border?

I'm seriously advocating setting a no-man's land along the border, in which the use of deadly force is authorized to be used at the officer's discretion and in which anti-personal mines would be laid.

Last edited:
You do not have to kill women and children to stop illegal immigration. All you have to do is secure the border, crack down on those who aid illegals and severely punish those who aid illegals, allow police to verify the legal status of those they pull over for a traffic offense, deny tax payer funded benefits and services to illegals and many other things.

Nice theory, but where is the execution on part of, the government? The responsibility for maintaining law and order??

Check this out....Many law abiding citizens have suggested several times to activate, the unorganized militia in Arizona, but the governor won´t even look at that initiative.

That to me is a no show since she won't do that.

So again using your logic the entire population of Mexico could cross the border tomorrow and we would only be left with non-lethal means to secure the border. :roll: Try again, any nation state has the right to execute the use of deadly force against anyone attempting to cross their border without permission regardless of if they are armed or pose a direct threat, exceptions would include refugees forced to flee due to conflict but that is not the case in this situation. "Trespassers shot on sight."

Were there an army of Mexican Woman and Children marching across the border at me, and I was ordered to fire... I would disobey orders.

You're twisting my logic, of course you have the right to secure your borders, find the illegals and deport them if you must. But I simply do not see the answer being shooting everyone that starts crossing, are you honestly suggesting that everyone that crosses the border has the malicious intent of causing harm to you?

Get Apache helicopters and destroy the cartels for all I care, if they're causin trouble, wipe em out. But I simply cannot condone shooting innocent people that just want a better life, RIGHT or WRONG.

Napolitano said:
Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, whose agency is charged with securing America’s borders, told an audience in Washington, D.C., in reference to the U.S.-Mexico border, “You’re never going to totally seal that border."

She is wrong.

megaprogman-albums-images-picture67111362-seal-map.png

Back
Top Bottom