• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nancy Pelosi vows that House Democrats won’t act like Republicans

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

105658345-1546545454496rtx6kqkx.530x298.jpg

116th Congress Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi (D-CA).

1/3/19
Incoming speaker Nancy Pelosi wants to be clear about what the new Democratic House majority will not be: They will not, she insists, act like the Republicans. “We believe that we will not become them,” she said in a New Year’s Day phone interview during a visit to her native Baltimore. “We’re not going to do to them what they did to President Obama. . . . It’s really important for us not to become them and certainly not to become like the president of the United States in terms of how he speaks without any basis of fact, evidence, data or truth. “We will respect each other’s opinions, and respect the truth.” Pelosi also pushed back hard against the idea that, in holding Trump and his administration accountable, Democrats would be engaging in some sort of investigative orgy. On the contrary, she said, Article I of the Constitution grants Congress responsibility for “oversight over the agencies of government.” The Democrats’ assumption of power in the House this week will alter U.S. politics in ways that go well beyond their capacity to make life miserable for the president and his lieutenants. The woman who will return as speaker after an eight-year absence sounded almost gleeful in discussing the planks in the House platform. She was characteristically disciplined in sticking to the issues that helped elect the ideologically diverse group of 63 new Democratic members who gave her the opportunity to wield the gavel.

At the top of the list is a sweeping political reform package linked to a new Voting Rights Act. Taking on the “special interests,” she said, will “give people confidence” in the rest of the Democratic wish list that includes health care (with a focus on prescription drug prices and protecting people with preexisting conditions), workforce training and “building the infrastructure of America in a green way.” The House’s first order of business is not how she expected to start: the imperative of reopening the government. The House plans to pass a series of spending bills that have already been approved by the Republican-majority Senate. A separate bill would extend existing funding for the Department of Homeland Security (where any money for a wall-like thing would reside) to allow a month of negotiation. “If they reject this,” she said of the prospect that Senate Republicans would reject their own bills, “it would be highly irresponsible, and it would be a manifestation of the president of the United States making fools of them.” Republican senators, of course, may prefer that to being attacked by Trump. This is what Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) suggested Wednesday in saying he’d reject any House bills that Trump wouldn’t sign. Still, Pelosi’s swipe reflected the tenacious approach to negotiating her supporters prize. And then there’s the other side of Pelosi, who insisted on ending our conversation by declaring, “We want America’s heart to be full of love as we go forward.” A delightful thought. But for Trump, it will be tough love.

To all who have issues with the dysfunctional/corrupt Trump administration and the enabling GOP majority 115th Congress, we have waited two miserable years for this marvelous day.

Carpe Diem!

Related: Cleaning the Congressional Stables

To all who have issues with the dysfunctional/corrupt Trump administration and the enabling GOP majority 115th Congress, we have waited two miserable years for this marvelous day.

Carpe Diem!

INVESTIGATE!! INVESTIGATE!!

(But hey...we won't be like the Republicans)

:doh

Carpe Diem!

I certainly hope she can do a better job leading Congress than we experienced with Ryan. Passing daily ACA repeal bills and wasting millions of dollars on Hillary Clinton's email investigation (which yielded nothing) wasn't what this country needed. And that pains me, because I was a big Paul Ryan fan at one time. But he, like every other Republican, failed.

Nancy: We won't act like Republicans

Me: No...you'll be worse.

Carpe Diem!

Actions speak louder than words.

McConnell will obviously kick the spending football back to Pelosi with his "arrrgh the president won't sign this arrrgh bill" and we'll see if she remains firm, or lets herself get beaten down and eventually caves.

If she comes through I will be the first to give her credit, but I'm going to wait for results.

The Republicans didn't actually investigate anything and actually ran interference for the executive branch.

It's completely understandable that you're scared to death now that real investigations, with real teeth, led by former federal prosecutors, are going to take place.

You have every right to be frightened of sunlight being shone on the most corrupt administration in US history.

The Republicans didn't actually investigate anything and actually ran interference for the executive branch.

It's completely understandable that you're scared to death now that real investigations, with real teeth, led by former federal prosecutors, are going to take place.

You have every right to be frightened of sunlight being shone on the most corrupt administration in US history.

Nobody is frightened. Not even Trump.

The adults are back in charge.

Considering Republicans still control the presidency and Senate I would agree the adults are still in charge. The children will run around the house creating noise but accomplish very little

Since year after year of Benghazi came up with nothing, the bar is set very very very low for Democrats to come up with just one crime and one criminal. And with the guilty pleas already in hand, the list of nominees is extensive indeed.

Since year after year of Benghazi came up with nothing, the bar is set very very very low for Democrats to come up with just one crime and one criminal. And with the guilty pleas already in hand, the list of nominees is extensive indeed.

shrug...

Nancy set her own bar. She is bound to knock it down.

Actions speak louder than words.

McConnell will obviously kick the spending football back to Pelosi with his "arrrgh the president won't sign this arrrgh bill" and we'll see if she remains firm, or lets herself get beaten down and eventually caves.

If she comes through I will be the first to give her credit, but I'm going to wait for results.

If she "caves" it better be like DACA for 5.6 and not a freakin' PENNY more. And with some provision that at least half of that not be for "walls or barriers". Anything less is a fail.

McConnell will obviously kick the spending football back to Pelosi

Obviously, Senate Majority Leader McConnell works for Trump and not for the American people.

That's how the GOP thinks Congress is supposed to work.

Obviously, Senate Majority Leader McConnell works for Trump and not for the American people.

He is afraid of the voters, so you have things ass backwards again.

If they want to steamroll over Trump they need to get his approval rating way down from where it is.

Nobody is frightened. Not even Trump.

The way he *****footed with Nancy and Romney? Trump is having to carry extra depends everyhwere! The way you guys post frantically in his defense shows your fear, nobody is fooled!:2rofll:

If she "caves" it better be like DACA for 5.6 and not a freakin' PENNY more. And with some provision that at least half of that not be for "walls or barriers". Anything less is a fail.
Damn straight.

We worked our asses off to put her back in the game, so she has an obligation to win her first fight.

Republicans have been playing these ransom games with the government for years, it's not new to Trump.

I hope Democrats give them nothing, make them look stupid, and teach them they get nothing in a shutdown.

However, I'll believe it when I see it.

LOL! By posting that, you're essentially admitting that you're scared to death of all this and that's totally understandable.

???

Are you high?

Republicans have been playing these ransom games with the government for years, it's not new to Trump.

I hope Democrats give them nothing, make them look stupid, and teach them they get nothing in a shutdown.

However, I'll believe it when I see it.

By my reckoning, Democrats received a "Blue-Wave Mandate" on 3 November 2018.

That mandate didn't include caving in to Trump/GOP extortion.

But you're right. We'll just have to wait and see who blinks here.

???

Are you high?

No. But asking if I am clearly indicates you're being overly defensive and you're admitting yet again that you're scared ****less of the dems conducting real investigations to your god and his crime family/empire.

2019 is going to be exquisitely painful for you, and I am very much looking forward to that.

No. But asking if I am clearly indicates you're being overly defensive and you're admitting yet again that you're scared ****less of the dems conducting real investigations to your god and his crime family/empire.

2019 is going to be exquisitely painful for you, and I am very much looking forward to that.

Sadism is all the rage in America now, sadly.

WE USED TO BE BETTER

Back
Top Bottom