• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nancy Pelosi is winning in her battle with Trump. Here's why

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

20181219004012_0.jpg

1/20/19
Nancy Pelosi is winning her showdown with President Trump for one simple reason: She knows how to do her job better than he knows how to do his. The House speaker is fond of three precepts; spend time with her and you’ll hear them all. One is from Abraham Lincoln: “Public sentiment is everything. With it, nothing can fail; against it, nothing can succeed.” The second is from her father, an old-school Democratic mayor of Baltimore: “Votes are the coin of the realm.” The third is her own: Never underestimate Nancy Pelosi. In this battle, she’s winning — and Trump’s losing — on all three counts. Since the president forced the partial shutdown of the federal government on Dec. 22, public sentiment has run against him and the wall he wants to build on the border with Mexico. A Pew Research Center poll released Wednesday reported that 58% of Americans oppose building a border wall; 61% disapprove of the way Trump is handling the shutdown. But if he’s being blamed, it’s his own fault. In a contentious meeting on Dec. 11, Trump told Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer that he’d be “proud” to shut the government over his demands for a wall. “I will take the mantle,” Trump said as the clash played out on live TV. “I will be the one to shut it down.” Even worse for the White House, Democratic voters are more unified on the issue than Trump’s base. The Pew survey found that 84% of anti-wall Democrats oppose any compromise that includes funding for the wall.

So Pelosi and her allies are winning the “outside game,” the battle for public opinion — even though that’s supposed to be Trump’s turf. The speaker is prevailing in the inside game too. Now the confrontation with Trump has united House Democrats; the left-wing insurgents and centrist mavericks who once grumbled about the 78-year-old speaker have fallen into line. Contrast that with the Republican-led Senate, where a dozen members of the GOP majority have complained that the White House has no strategy and several have proposed reopening the government without money for a wall. Trump has never mastered the art of dealing with his own party in Congress, let alone the opposition. In Congress, Pelosi’s home turf, the president is out of his league. On Saturday, signs of movement appeared but the two sides remained far apart on the central issues. Trump proposed that Congress fund a wall in exchange for a three-year reprieve from deportation for the so-called Dreamers, immigrants who entered the country illegally as children. Pelosi called that “a nonstarter.” Instead, she plans to pass a package of House bills that would reopen shuttered government agencies and increase spending on border security — without a wall. Pelosi’s real goal is to establish a new balance of power for the next two years — reflecting her fourth precept: “Congress is a co-equal branch of government.” And Trump? He landed in the White House almost by accident, never planned for his presidency, and still avoids the hard work of absorbing briefings and formulating policies. She knows how to do her job. Him, not so much. It’s not a fair fight.

If Trump wants to die on the government shutdown hill, Pelosi will certainly let him. It's just now dawning on Trump that he no longer controls Congress.

The Trump/Kushner/Mulvaney offer yesterday was a [bumbling] nonstarter. All Trump offered is restoring the Dreamer protections he himself removed.

That's not going to cut it, nor will it extricate Trump from the deepening political pit he's been digging for himself.

20181219004012_0.jpg

If Trump wants to die on the government shutdown hill, Pelosi will certainly let him. It's just now dawning on Trump that he no longer controls Congress.

The Trump/Kushner/Mulvaney offer yesterday was a [bumbling] nonstarter. All Trump offered is restoring the Dreamer protections he himself removed.

That's not going to cut it, nor will it extricate Trump from the deepening political pit he's been digging for himself.

To your point anything offers is a non-starter. Pelosi knows that after Trump blurted out that he would take ownership of the shutdown he had no offramp. Clearly the more skilled politician of the two. To partisans on both sides the key is winning not what is good for the country. Thus I find partisans on both sides evil. Matters little to me,I am an old boomer. I do care about my son's generation that will live with this mess for many years.

To your point anything offers is a non-starter. Pelosi knows that after Trump blurted out that he would take ownership of the shutdown he had no offramp. Clearly the more skilled politician of the two. To partisans on both sides the key is winning not what is good for the country. Thus I find partisans on both sides evil. Matters little to me,I am an old boomer. I do care about my son's generation that will live with this mess for many years.

Wrong. It's about winning for trump and the republicans. Why do people try to keep blaming the democrats too, they didn't shut down the government? I am also an old boomer.

20181219004012_0.jpg

Pelosi is the epitome of a ****ty self serving politician... she is out to do what is best for her, not the people... she is trash.

Pelosi is the epitome of a ****ty self serving politician... she is out to do what is best for her, not the people... she is trash.

Uh. You just described Donald Trump.

Wrong. It's about winning for trump and the republicans. Why do people try to keep blaming the democrats too, they didn't shut down the government? I am also an old boomer.

Not sure that the term progressive (or what they stand for) existed in the 60's and 70's. Winning is the political game for both sides. What winning means differs on the topic.

Only lemming partisans on either side believes only the "other" team is interested in winning while their team cares about the country.

This thread is about Pelosi... not Trump. Focus.

When two politicians are going at each other and a person says that one of the politicians is a certain way, while the other politician is exactly the same way or worse, well that's just a really weird place to start.

Not sure that the term progressive (or what they stand for) existed in the 60's and 70's. Winning is the political game for both sides. What winning means differs on the topic.

Only lemming partisans on either side believes only the "other" team is interested in winning while their team cares about the country.

Agreed since the dems have passed eight bills out of congress awaiting the senate vote. I've noticed on here it's not polite to disagree with the side that only wants to win for themselves and not the majority of the country like the party passing these bills out of the house.

When two politicians are going at each other and a person says that one of the politicians is a certain way, while the other politician is exactly the same way or worse, well that's just a really weird place to start.

When the thread is about one specific politician and a person comes in and starts talking about a completely different politician... well, that really tells us something.

20181219004012_0.jpg

It was even less than that.

The administration ignored the Administrative Procedure Act when it ordered DHS to rescind the memo that implemented DACA. There were procedures to follow and they were ignored. That's not going to get resolved for some time, which means DACA is still in force. (Of course, whether the administration might simply ignore the courts and deport people anyway in contradiction of their own policy, knowing full well that the courts have no army, is another question).

So yeah...it was a "temporary" measure he could change his mind on at any time after getting what he wanted, as it was non-binding. And for much of the 3 year term offered, DACA will remain in force anyway.

When the thread is about one specific politician and a person comes in and starts talking about a completely different politician... well, that really tells us something.

Read the thread title for God Sake!

How is demanding that the government be open first somehow unreasonable.

Because it's proposed by a democrat and not trump. Two weeks in and the right wants to impeach Pelosi. Talk about showing your true colors. Two years of trump and I don't think at this point the democrats should even talk about impeaching trump without a smoking cannon. The republicans talk more about impeachment than the democrats are. It's a way to charge up the base.

Uh. The thread is about both of them. That's why their names appear in the thread title.

Trump is exactly what you say Pelosi is.

She is about defeating anything Trump first...

So?

You guys seem to forget how uncompromising the GOP was with Obama..

Boehner in 2010:

Here’s John Boehner, the likely speaker if Republicans take the House, offering his plans for Obama’s agenda: “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

This is what McConnell said in 2010:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

And remember this was in 2010.. When the country was still reeling from the 2008 crash. The GOP didn't give a rats ass about helping the millions losing their jobs and homes. They just cared about party. I remember this vividly. This was when I, a Republican for 35+ years, became a Democrat.

The topic of the title is "Nancy Pelosi winning her battle"... does that help?

Uh. The thread is about both of them. That's why their names appear in the thread title.

Trump is exactly what you say Pelosi is.

This thread is about Pelosi winning... not about Trump. Care to try again?

Pelosi will win and Trump will lose if you want to take this down to individual personalities because of the following:
If Trump gets his wall funding this way, there is no longer any actual reason for the Congress to exist, either House. Article 1 of the Constitution would be blown to smithereens.

Right now the only stick in the mud who's continued support of Trump's position is critical to maintaining this charade is McConnell, Senate Majority Leader. Anybody that thinks McConnell is going to let the entire reason for the existence of Congress just throw itself off a cliff edge for this Wall is simply dreaming. We are all at this point simply waiting for Mitchie-poo to throw in the towel. Mitch is not going to throw himself out of a job for DonDon and his hordes and his idiot Wall. So, I already know what will finally get Mitch to get off the dime. The only question is whether that is the only thing that will get Mitch to get off the dime.

Washington always wins in the end. In this case its not just DC, its George and the rest of the Founders!

Last edited:
So?

You guys seem to forget how uncompromising the GOP was with Obama..

Boehner in 2010:

This is what McConnell said in 2010:

I have not forgotten that... but it also has nothing to do with this thread.

Sooooo.... STRAW MAN!!!

The Trump who is good at deals is a myth. The guy who ghost-wrote The Art of the Deal feels bad about his part in helping to perpetrate Trump's con on America.

Because it's proposed by a democrat and not trump. Two weeks in and the right wants to impeach Pelosi. Talk about showing your true colors. Two years of trump and I don't think at this point the democrats should even talk about impeaching trump without a smoking cannon. The republicans talk more about impeachment than the democrats are. It's a way to charge up the base.

Yet they talk about impeaching him weekly... if not daily...

The guy who ghost-wrote The Art of the Deal feels bad about his part in helping to perpetrate Trump's con on America.

Provide a quote of him saying so please...

This thread also has nothing to do with God... Please keep your religious arguments out of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom