• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Name your favorite economist...

eman926

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
For me it’s Milton Friedman.

For how government should operate Keynes

Milton Friedman

Keynes is the master.

As for living economists, i go with Joseph Stiglitz.

No one person, modern economics is way too complex to subscribe to any one economist. You gotta read across the board and take in parts even from those you disagree with but at least attempt to model out their conclusions.

John Kenneth Galbraith
He produced a video series with the BBC called Age of Uncertainty in 1977. When Milton Friedman heard about it he had to come up with one, Free to Choose.
I watched both of them. Galbraith was informative. Friedman was a propagandist.
But notice that double-entry accounting is 700 years old but I have never heard any economist advocate mandatory accounting in the schools.
Accounting: collegians vs 5th graders - UPI.com

As a bit of a contrarian, I've no single fave. There are, however, those who have made major contributions to our understanding of economics. Adam Smith and John Keynes certainly stand above the crowd. At present we in the US have two competing groups - termed the 'saltwater' [East Coast] and 'fresh water' [Chicago, etc.,] schools. Each has its spokespersons. For readability, I rate Dr. Paul Krugman high on my list.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Thorstein Veblen. He examined and savagely critiqued conspicuous consumption. Is he the most important economist? No. However he is my favourite one.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

For me it’s Milton Friedman.

Mine, too. He came down from his ivory tower to speak to the common man about the important link between free market capitalism and freedom, something all too many of us take for granted.

Back
Top Bottom