• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Name this drummer(without cheating by looking it up).

ModerationNow!

I identify as "non-Bidenary".
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
****Hints: This picture is from the late 60s. ***
****He 'was' a drummer for a very successful band. ***

downloadfile.jpg

His band had a track or maybe two on the Gutbucket samplers!

Kind of looks like Ginger Baker but without the beard

Scorpions. The shirt is distinct.

Really? No one thinks he looks like Keith Moon? Damn, and that blows my whole purpose for this thread. I figured everyone would think it was Keith Moon. He looks a LOT like him, and he just happens to be a drummer from the same era! Quite the coincidence, I thought. Guess not.... He's Aynsley Dunbar, who played for Journey for 4 albums starting from the mid 70s. He came REALLY close to being Jimmy Hendrix's drummer, after scoring a tie with Mitch Mitchell, both of whom were liked by Hendrix, so he literally tossed a coin to choose, but Mitch won the toss!

He played for John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, until replaced by Mick Fleetwood b4 he formed Fleetwood Mac.He then started his own short-lived band called "The Retaliation"(retaliation against Mayall for firing him). He played with the Jeff Beck group, follwed by joining Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. Then he joined Journey. He played for Jefferson Starship, and later joined Whitesnake during the pinnacle of their success. He also played with Nils Lofgren, Pat Travers and Michael Schenker of the Scorpions.

Last edited:
Really? No one thinks he looks like Keith Moon? Damn, and that blows my whole purpose for this thread. I figured everyone would think it was Keith Moon. He looks a LOT like him, and he just happens to be a drummer from the same era! Quite the coincidence, I thought. Guess not.... He's Aynsley Dunbar, who played for Journey for 4 albums starting from the mid 70s. He came REALLY close to being Jimmy Hendrix's drummer, after scoring a tie with Mitch Mitchell, both of whom were liked by Hendrix, so he literally tossed a coin to choose, but Mitch won the toss!

He played for John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, until replaced by Mick Fleetwood b4 he formed Fleetwood Mac.He then started his own short-lived band called "The Retaliation"(retaliation against Mayall for firing him). He played with the Jeff Beck group, follwed by joining Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. Then he joined Journey. He played for Jefferson Starship, and later joined Whitesnake during the pinnacle of their success. He also played with Nils Lofgren, Pat Travers and Michael Schenker of the Scorpions.

I saw the Bluesbreakers when he was a member.

I was gonna say that. :). Actually I was thinking Terry Bozzio but that was a shot in the dark.

I would find it strange if many here could name such a drummer by sight.
The band would have to be extremely popular or the individual would have to have been somewhat into the band or the actual drummer to be able to identify the person. :shrug:

Yeah but that's kinda the point of a quiz, to not make it so easy and obvious that everyone instantly knows the answer. If I posted a picture of Ringo Starr or Peter Criss in 1978 in his cat man outfit. But you are right in that this was probably more difficult to answer correctly, due to him being somewhat obscure to most people. I could've pulled a Dennis Miller, and picked some ultra-obscure musician, like the guy who auditioned his cello skills for Mozart in 1781, but wasn't chosen for the orchestra.....lol

Funny. My first thought was "is that Keith Moon in the early '70s"?

~ Could it be the great Mitch Mitchell - drummer for The Jimmi Hendricks Experience ? Damn good lead drummer !

Last edited:
Yeah but that's kinda the point of a quiz, to not make it so easy and obvious that everyone instantly knows the answer. If I posted a picture of Ringo Starr or Peter Criss in 1978 in his cat man outfit. But you are right in that this was probably more difficult to answer correctly, due to him being somewhat obscure to most people. I could've pulled a Dennis Miller, and picked some ultra-obscure musician, like the guy who auditioned his cello skills for Mozart in 1781, but wasn't chosen for the orchestra.....lol

I recently spoke with some young adults in the Dallas area. They didn't even know who Metallica or Pantera were. I would bet you could show them a picture of Ringo Starr and they would be stumped.

That was the point of my post. Just saying

I love the fact that there's more than one fan of John Mayall here!

Mayall.jpg

Saw John Mayall, jefferson airplane and the mothers at one time or another. Love lofgren's guitar playing but never saw Grin. I was lucky enough to grow up in a large northeastern city and was in my teens in the sixties and I've seen a lot of concerts from the day. Went to the atlantic city pop festival and the one at pocono. What a time to be a teen.

He used to drum for Whitesnake. I know that. His name was something Dunbar.

But what I really want to know, is:

Do you have room to move? And, are you a whammer jammer?

Actually Curtis Blake, our harp player, got invited up to do Room to Move WITH Mayall that night, an extended version to be sure.

166457_1530027976120_1397340559_31173039_1340550_n.jpg

re:

what the hell happened to the "D" as the final letter in that "J. GEILS BAND" album cover

even the period uses a graphic form as with every other letter except the "D"
and why the different spacing of the "D"?

"serious" questions about something which happened almost 50 years ago

****Hints: This picture is from the late 60s. ***
****He 'was' a drummer for a very successful band. ***

View attachment 67245418

You REALLY had to softball this one? It's Aynsley Dunbar and the band he perfomed in was Journey. Steve Smith succeeded him and played through Journey's most successful period.

Saw John Mayall, jefferson airplane and the mothers at one time or another. Love lofgren's guitar playing but never saw Grin. I was lucky enough to grow up in a large northeastern city and was in my teens in the sixties and I've seen a lot of concerts from the day. Went to the atlantic city pop festival and the one at pocono. What a time to be a teen.
Nils Lofgren? He's one of my favorite guitarists! Owns the Strat, can kill it on an acoustic, and keeps it moving while tickling the ivories!

I don't think I've seen many of us that are more innately "musical", than he. Music is in his inner soul, and he conducts it out through his body to us. Only those that are special, can go into a trance-like state, and channel the music and emotion that resides inside .

I'm not speaking of proficiency. I'm not speaking of creativity. I'm speaking of musicality.

Check-out his outro solo in "Valentine" (5:10). Tell me, if you doubt music resides in this man's soul.

Back
Top Bottom