• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Name that kitchen gadget

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I found this in a resale shop for a dime today, and have no idea what it is. It appears to be pretty old, and is stamped "Pyrex", and has a handle made of glass. Anyone know what it is? I'm guessing it has something to do with bakeware or cooking, since it's Pyrex.

I found this in a resale shop for a dime today, and have no idea what it is. It appears to be pretty old, and is stamped "Pyrex", and has a handle made of glass. Anyone know what it is? I'm guessing it has something to do with bakeware or cooking, since it's Pyrex.

Apple peeler

Looks like some kind of pot handle to me. IDK

That said, can't say I'd chance picking up a pot of scalding anything with one of those. I cannot tell by looking at it how it would work.

Well, I'm not planning to use it, but it's nice to know what it is. I appreciate it. :)

I would name it Ringil Eskiath since I wanted to use that name for a cat but I'm not allowed any more cats. So, use it in good health. You can call it Gil for short.

Inanimate objects need love too.

Well without the pot Liz bought a pig in a poke.:lol:

If she uses that to poke pigs, she will have troubles.

3647187980_dca805dde2.jpg

Well, I'm not planning to use it, but it's nice to know what it is. I appreciate it. :)

Yep. Sell it on Etsy :)

I wonder if it is brace the backside of a large pot that already has a handle attached since I do not see an obvious way it would hook onto a pot unless it was one of those deals where pot sets came with only a few handles maybe in WW2 or something, the way they do with universal lids now.

Hon- some things have aesthetic value. ;)

Hon- you're talking to a man that buys broken logging tools from the old days and hangs them all over every wall he can find. I even have the first chain saw Mcculloch ever made, it's a two man job with bicycle type handle bars on the motor side and a handle on the end of the bar for another man to hang onto. Enjoy your worthless pot thing.:lol:

That said, can't say I'd chance picking up a pot of scalding anything with one of those. I cannot tell by looking at it how it would work.

The lever on the side is turned to allow the curved section, that we cannot see in the picture, to extend out and hook into the pot via a cantilevered protrusion on the lip of the pot, and then placing the lever back into the locking position, as seen in the picture, allows for a secure grip, with the two gussets on either side maintaining lateral stability. Since you only needed one handle for multiple sized pots, it made storing pots easier, since you could have multiple pots that stacked together without each one's handle getting in the way. It was based on the military version of the same type product. Anyone that ever got KP as a punishment would have recognized it. (I'm not as much of a geek as this sounds, but you asked)

Really neat find. I knew, because I have one in the old family farm house, and used the pots for a long time until I could afford a new set.

Yep. Sell it on Etsy :)

I wonder if it is brace the backside of a large pot that already has a handle attached since I do not see an obvious way it would hook onto a pot unless it was one of those deals where pot sets came with only a few handles maybe in WW2 or something, the way they do with universal lids now.

When you look at it from the side, you can see that there is a lip. I bet it's used for a pie plate (to take it out of the oven). I'll see if I have an old pyrex pie baking pan, and see if it fits. If so, I'll post a pic.

edit- well scratch that idea. I guess I don't have one that is old enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom