• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Name that kitchen gadget

The lever on the side is turned to allow the curved section, that we cannot see in the picture, to extend out and hook into the pot via a cantilevered protrusion on the lip of the pot, and then placing the lever back into the locking position, as seen in the picture, allows for a secure grip, with the two gussets on either side maintaining lateral stability. Since you only needed one handle for multiple sized pots, it made storing pots easier, since you could have multiple pots that stacked together without each one's handle getting in the way. It was based on the military version of the same type product. Anyone that ever got KP as a punishment would have recognized it. (I'm not as much of a geek as this sounds, but you asked)

Really neat find. I knew, because I have one in the old family farm house, and used the pots for a long time until I could afford a new set.

You remind me of an old Boy Scout cook set I had that had a pot holder for the various different pans, cool info.

Well take this then:
Animal-Noses5.jpg

I would take that adorable little thing home with me. :)

The lever on the side is turned to allow the curved section, that we cannot see in the picture, to extend out and hook into the pot via a cantilevered protrusion on the lip of the pot, and then placing the lever back into the locking position, as seen in the picture, allows for a secure grip, with the two gussets on either side maintaining lateral stability. Since you only needed one handle for multiple sized pots, it made storing pots easier, since you could have multiple pots that stacked together without each one's handle getting in the way. It was based on the military version of the same type product. Anyone that ever got KP as a punishment would have recognized it. (I'm not as much of a geek as this sounds, but you asked)

Really neat find. I knew, because I have one in the old family farm house, and used the pots for a long time until I could afford a new set.

No I am pretty sure you are exactly the amount of geek as that sounds, and yes I did ask :2razz:

I have seen pots with detatchable handles before--just not quite like that handle. I would have gone with "Yeah you just wiggle it around until it catches or until you say eff it and grab a pot holder and start screaming "Get out of my way HOT HOT HOT!!!!"

Looks like some kind of pot handle to me. IDK

That is what my girlfriend, and expert on kithchen gadgets, said - it allows picking up hot pyrex dishware from the stove top or oven without burning yourself. It may be used to make use of a "handleless" baking dish as a skillet as well. The older Pyrex had a tang (tab) or lip that allowed the handle to clip onto and off of them. Corningware had a similar implement.

It's a handle. It attaches to a pyrex/Corningware bowl. That's an old style, the more modern styles look like this:

Corningware Handle.jpg

No I am pretty sure you are exactly the amount of geek as that sounds, and yes I did ask :2razz:

I have seen pots with detatchable handles before--just not quite like that handle. I would have gone with "Yeah you just wiggle it around until it catches or until you say eff it and grab a pot holder and start screaming "Get out of my way HOT HOT HOT!!!!"

Embarrassed.jpg

I don't ssee why it wouldn't work on any pan, as long as it was the right sized pan

I guess my pans aren't the right size, or the lip is shaped wrong. I couldn't get it to grip.

I guess my pans aren't the right size, or the lip is shaped wrong. I couldn't get it to grip.

You didn't try hard enough. Whatcha you gotta do is get yourself a good hammer and a pair of vise grips and a blowtorch. Put the pan in the grips, heat up a spot until it is glowing, and beat on that mutha until it works. Now if that doesn't work, get yourself a can of beer, role of high-temp duct tape--the shiny kind, a hacksaw and the scissor jack out of the boot of your car and let me know when you are ready and I will talk you through the rest. :beer:

It makes more sense from the side view. The top view made the metal lever look like a floppy electrical type wire to me.

You didn't try hard enough. Whatcha you gotta do is get yourself a good hammer and a pair of vise grips and a blowtorch. Put the pan in the grips, heat up a spot until it is glowing, and beat on that mutha until it works. Now if that doesn't work, get yourself a can of beer, role of high-temp duct tape--the shiny kind, a hacksaw and the scissor jack out of the boot of your car and let me know when you are ready and I will talk you through the rest. :beer:

It makes more sense from the side view. The top view made the metal lever look like a floppy electrical type wire to me.

:lol:

I think I'll buy some Gorilla brand duct tape. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom