• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Name one thing that blacks and whites each need to do to help end racism.

I'll give you four things. One to think about, and one to actually do, for both groups.

Whites-

1. Acknowledge that racism is still a big problem, understand that no one is blameless in it, and realize that subconscious and structural racism has nothing to do with an individual's morality.

2. Broaden your social circle and interact or make acquaintances with people of color. (Three quarters of whites don't have any non-white friends.)

Blacks-

1. Stop believing that White America will ever "wake up" to racism.

2. Contrary to #1 above, try not to be discouraged about being open about your experiences as a black man or woman in America. Yes ... it's frustrating, tiring, socially awkward and it shouldn't be up to you to educate white people about race. However I would point out that we white people will never learn if there ijust pre to teach us.

" Subconscious and structural racism " and no ones blameless ? Are you effing kidding ?

I have a better idea, how about we just ignore the exploitive and divisive white liberal definition of " racism " all together ?

That way you can keep your guilt and the rest of us can focus on solutions that dont involve manufacturing division and then exploiting that division to further our agenda

Or was that micro-aggression " racist " ?

your partisan hackery is the problem. Its Democrats who opposed the CRA as well. and its the left's fault that there are welfare queens. Its the left's fault that black males commit more than 50% of the murders and that we have countless examples of black women who have multiple children with multiple "baby daddies". Your moronic claim that all whites are racist does not help and appears to be another case of self-flagellation on your part as you try to pretend you really are a true convert to the loon left side of the aisle. And don't for a minute pretend you can "realize" something about me that I don't know. That is the usual tripe from the left-and I tire of people pretending they know more what is better for me or about me than I do

That was pretty weak, and you know it. You know - because I've pointed it out to you many times - that the Southern Democrats were the most racist of those in Congress at the time...but then the GOP took the racists for their own with Nixon's Southern Strategy...where he deliberately sought the racists' votes...

...and from that time on, the GOP (and the Right in general) has gone slowly but ever so surely down the path of supporting entrenchment of institutional racism. And just like a frog in water that's slowly getting warmer till it boils, y'all don't even know it's happening, and deny it when others point it out to you...until it's simply too late.

That was pretty weak, and you know it. You know - because I've pointed it out to you many times - that the Southern Democrats were the most racist of those in Congress at the time...but then the GOP took the racists for their own with Nixon's Southern Strategy...where he deliberately sought the racists' votes...

...and from that time on, the GOP (and the Right in general) has gone slowly but ever so surely down the path of supporting entrenchment of institutional racism. And just like a frog in water that's slowly getting warmer till it boils, y'all don't even know it's happening, and deny it when others point it out to you...until it's simply too late.

you miss much. Racism from the left is not just the old Jim Crow Democrats. Its the urban elites who think Blacks are too stupid to get ahead without affirmative action. The racism of low expectations. The Liberal media that ignores black on black crime because they seem to expect its normal for blacks to do that. and its funny a Bannerrhoid movement member like you mentions the frog in the water because that is exactly what you and other gun banners have been proposing. same with the creeping crud of collectivism

Yeah, it's not the Right's fault that Goldwater disapproved of the Civil Rights Act.

It's not the Right's fault that Nixon deliberately attracted the racists in the Deep South with his Southern Strategy.

It's not the Right's fault that Reagan drummed up the claims of "welfare queens".

It's not the Right's fault that two years after having strongly supporting renewal of the Voting Rights Act, the GOP strongly opposed the Voting Rights Act - strangely enough, just after Obama got elected.

It's not the Right's fault that the GOP has nominated a guy for president who is a racist, a xenophobe, and a misogynist.

It's not the Right's fault that they nominated a guy who publicizes information he found on a white supremacist website.

TD, what you don't get, sir, is that I KNOW that the overwhelming majority of those on the Right really are good, good-hearted, well-meaning people with no real malice in their hearts. I know this. But I also know that the same was true of my family and every white I knew in my youth...and they were all racist. That doesn't mean that the overwhelming majority of Republicans are. It just means that they - and you - are being led down a path to someplace you really don't wanna go...and you don't even realize it.

Obama's DOJ seams to think Black voters are too " unsophisticated " to acquire a ID to vote.

Justice Department Expert Witness: Blacks 'Less Sophisticated Voters' - Breitbart

First, do you agree ? Second, for the party that supposedly represents the minorities the Democrat sure dont have much faith in the abilities of Black Americans

Yup, the Democrats have done a hell of a job uplifting oppressed Black Americans

Half of Adult Detroit Residents are Functionally Illiterate
Nearly Half Of Detroit's Adults Are Functionally Illiterate, Report Finds

Name one thing that blacks and whites each need to do to help end racism. Or, at least mitigate it quite a bit.

Generic, as groups. Something significant. Please answer for both, not just one.
Whites need educated about how racism is engrained into our culture--movies, t.v., commercials, and media. Blacks need to educate whites about how racism is engrained into our culture. Everyone should watch the doll test.

Yup, the Democrats have done a hell of a job uplifting oppressed Black Americans

Half of Adult Detroit Residents are Functionally Illiterate
Nearly Half Of Detroit's Adults Are Functionally Illiterate, Report Finds

Of course that has nothing to do with the rampant poverty thanks to us (the GOP and Clinton) passing laws that allowed Big Business in general (and Detroit in particular) to send tens of thousands of our factories overseas, huh? The many tens of thousands of blacks who lost their jobs and their homes as a direct result...that's all their fault, huh?

I'll give you four things. One to think about, and one to actually do, for both groups.

Whites-

1. Acknowledge that racism is still a big problem, understand that no one is blameless in it, and realize that subconscious and structural racism has nothing to do with an individual's morality.

2. Broaden your social circle and interact or make acquaintances with people of color. (Three quarters of whites don't have any non-white friends.)

Blacks-

1. Stop believing that White America will ever "wake up" to racism.

2. Contrary to #1 above, try not to be discouraged about being open about your experiences as a black man or woman in America. Yes ... it's frustrating, tiring, socially awkward and it shouldn't be up to you to educate white people about race. However I would point out that we white people will never learn if there isn't someone there to teach us.

Wow.......

Nobody's blameless, huh? Does that include African Americans and other minorities?

Of course that has nothing to do with the rampant poverty thanks to us (the GOP and Clinton) passing laws that allowed Big Business in general (and Detroit in particular) to send tens of thousands of our factories overseas, huh? The many tens of thousands of blacks who lost their jobs and their homes as a direct result...that's all their fault, huh?

You must work really hard Glenn at being uniformed. Detroit spent over a Million dollars a year it didn't have for 10 years and has been and stilk may be one the most corrupt mismanaged Cities in America.

Kwame Kirkpatrick
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Kilpatrick

How corruption deepened Detroit's crisis

Detroit Corruption
Detroit Corruption

Detroit's been run by Democrats ( corrupt Democrats ) for decades and believe it or not its actually possible for City leaders to foresee things like budget shortfalls and shrinking industry ahead of time so they can make the needed adjustments to avoid everything from a shrinking tax base to bankruptcy.

But thats not what the Democrats in Detroit did. Detroits issues aren't Bush's fault or Bill Clintons fault and of the Democrats are the party that represents minorities they sure have a screwed up way of showing it

Half the Cities adult population is functionally illiterate and that means most likely totally dependent on the Govt.

Thats oppression Glenn, real oppression

you miss much. Racism from the left is not just the old Jim Crow Democrats. Its the urban elites who think Blacks are too stupid to get ahead without affirmative action. The racism of low expectations. The Liberal media that ignores black on black crime because they seem to expect its normal for blacks to do that. and its funny a Bannerrhoid movement member like you mentions the frog in the water because that is exactly what you and other gun banners have been proposing. same with the creeping crud of collectivism

Ah. It's those "urban elites" again. Not that you know enough of them to speak from real experience. It's just another bogus claim, another weak attempt to excuse your own side's racism.

Ah. It's those "urban elites" again. Not that you know enough of them to speak from real experience. It's just another bogus claim, another weak attempt to excuse your own side's racism.

what are you babbling about Glen? I would bet my left nut I know more about urban elites than you can ever imagine.

The problem is that we have to keep from addressing the issue as if both sides are equally wrong - that's a false equivalency. We whites are more in the wrong - see Goldwater's disapproval of the civil rights act, Nixon's Southern Strategy, Reagan's "welfare queen" claims, and the GOP's shift from supporting the voting rights act in 2006 to strong opposition to renewing it even two years later - after Obama was elected.

Do you think these are happening behind closed doors? No. They're happening out there where everyone can see it. And it's not just blacks - the other minorities can see it, too...and that's why they're all supporting the Left, even though they are all normally socially conservative.

Thing is, we can't demand that blacks "behave" like we want them to. We can't control their behavior. We can't tell them what they can or can't do - they spent centuries following the orders of whites, and anytime we tell them "what they gotta do", many of them can't help but think, "There goes whitey tellin' us what we can or can't do again." That's not a right-or-wrong thing - it's a human thing. Just as Pandora's out of the box, the blacks are off the plantation and they will not react well to anyone giving them what look like orders on how they as a race ought to behave. The only thing that we whites can do is for ourselves to behave, for ourselves to end even any appearance of racism on our part. Then and only then can we expect as much from anyone else.

That said, I don't believe any of the above will happen anytime soon - read the last paragraph of my previous post. Whites - specifically, conservative whites - will continue to "circle the wagons" to protect their gradually-diminishing power base. That is in and of itself what I believe to be the underlying cause of the unrest to which you refer. That's not a deliberate thing on the part of any one person - it's a demographic thing...and I can only hope we're educated enough as a nation to avoid the widespread violence that has always accompanied such demographic shifts throughout human history.

You are still looking at this through a political prism. It's not just conservative whites fault. It's also the instigators faults as well and if they can't ever get over their grievances even after all this time, will they truly ever be happy? Most people are stubborn especially if they were brought up to hate a certain culture. This happens just as much on the Black side too. They may have to ask, "is this white guy, racist?" But that shouldn't be the FIRST thing that comes to their mind and it's sad that a lot of people think that way about white people because most white people aren't racists. This is NOT the White guy telling the black guy how to think. It just shouldn't be thought of! Until that happens, I don't see how a lot of progress on that end can be done. Yes, apologies acknowledgements will help but they have to work at this TOO! Don't judge a book by its cover. I NEVER do.

You mentioned how you think blacks think that whites are telling them what to do. This is WRONG! No white person is telling them what they can't do. A citizen is telling another citizen to knock it off. Get off your high horse and join real life. Where everything isn't black and white, but some on both sides don't want it that way. They see racism everywhere through every little thing and unfortunately it's happening more and more in the black communities today. Even something as simple as black people not wanting to be successful because then they'll be surrounded by more white people or how most of their idols are rappers, fighters, or drug dealers. Sometimes all THREE! This is not healthy behavior either. Why can't a black person idolize white public figures? Why can't white people idolize black public figures? It rarely happens...

As a concerned citizen I would point out that idolizing "thug life" isn't going to get you far in real life. It won't especially help erase racial tensions. Who was the last white rapper to break out after eminem??

To a large portion of the population they are deeply proud of their heritage and where they came from and most will never really get rid of that. So we have to be careful about what we consider racism. If what I highlighted above is truly the answer to how to deal with this, then there isn't anything we can do about it. Hawaiians will always love Hawaii. The Japanese will always love Japan. The Mexicans will always love Mexico. Americans will always love America! Maybe racism ends when there are no more nations...

No, he wasn't a racist...but MLK put it best: "While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racists.”

By opposing the Civil Rights Act, that's precisely what he did.

And do you really think that minorities didn't notice? From the same reference: In the 1960 election, Richard Nixon had won 32 percent of the African American vote. Goldwater got 6 percent in 1964. No Republican presidential candidate since has broken 15 percent.

Whatever political philosophy one may have, it's disingenuous to follow a philosophy of "freedom" when the details of that philosophy would enable racists to restrict the freedom of others to their malicious hearts' content.

He should not have opposed it. I can understand his reasoning behind his concerns about the constitutionality of those two sections of the law, but I disagree with him, based on the 14th Amendment, but his concerns about federal police enforcement and quotas came true, then eased off to a degree. He said so himself later on his Senate career, that he should not had opposed the bill, especially after both parts that he felt unconstitutional were upheld by the Supreme Court.

He understood what his position would do to his ability to get the black vote, which is one reason I respect him. Unlike most politicians today, he held to his ethics as a constitutional conservative even knowing the harm it would do to his political career. How many politicians do you know that would do the same today, on any subject? Very few that I can think of - Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz come to mind - but both of them are crazy, Bernie in a good way, and Ted is just nuts.

As for enabling racists, so is Obama and the Democrats and the BLM movement. So, I wouldn't use that as a gauge.

He should not have opposed it. I can understand his reasoning behind his concerns about the constitutionality of those two sections of the law, but I disagree with him, based on the 14th Amendment, but his concerns about federal police enforcement and quotas came true, then eased off to a degree. He said so himself later on his Senate career, that he should not had opposed the bill, especially after both parts that he felt unconstitutional were upheld by the Supreme Court.

He understood what his position would do to his ability to get the black vote, which is one reason I respect him. Unlike most politicians today, he held to his ethics as a constitutional conservative even knowing the harm it would do to his political career. How many politicians do you know that would do the same today, on any subject? Very few that I can think of - Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz come to mind - but both of them are crazy, Bernie in a good way, and Ted is just nuts.

As for enabling racists, so is Obama and the Democrats and the BLM movement. So, I wouldn't use that as a gauge.

That's the problem with being an idealist - putting one's ideals as having higher priorities than any possible bad consequences.

Bradley (nee Chelsea) Manning is a great example: he saw something wrong in a video, so he took it upon himself to expose what America was doing. If he'd ONLY exposed the video, then he would still have paid a (somewhat lesser) price, but he would have been a hero and rightly so. But in his idealistic fervor, he also exposed a freaking quarter million diplomatic cables to and from our embassies and consulates all over the planet...and I don't believe for a moment the government's claims that nothing bad came from that exposure.

He thought he was doing the right thing for the right reason...but instead was doing a very wrong thing.

Idealism in and of itself is all well and fine and in many cases absolutely necessary, but holding one's ideals up as a be-all and end-all regardless of the consequences all too often leads to places no one wants to go. Or, to put it another way, there's a whole lot of tyrants and despots throughout history that began as idealists.

You are still looking at this through a political prism. It's not just conservative whites fault. It's also the instigators faults as well and if they can't ever get over their grievances even after all this time, will they truly ever be happy? Most people are stubborn especially if they were brought up to hate a certain culture. This happens just as much on the Black side too. They may have to ask, "is this white guy, racist?" But that shouldn't be the FIRST thing that comes to their mind and it's sad that a lot of people think that way about white people because most white people aren't racists. This is NOT the White guy telling the black guy how to think. It just shouldn't be thought of! Until that happens, I don't see how a lot of progress on that end can be done. Yes, apologies acknowledgements will help but they have to work at this TOO! Don't judge a book by its cover. I NEVER do.

You mentioned how you think blacks think that whites are telling them what to do. This is WRONG! No white person is telling them what they can't do. A citizen is telling another citizen to knock it off. Get off your high horse and join real life. Where everything isn't black and white, but some on both sides don't want it that way. They see racism everywhere through every little thing and unfortunately it's happening more and more in the black communities today. Even something as simple as black people not wanting to be successful because then they'll be surrounded by more white people or how most of their idols are rappers, fighters, or drug dealers. Sometimes all THREE! This is not healthy behavior either. Why can't a black person idolize white public figures? Why can't white people idolize black public figures? It rarely happens...

As a concerned citizen I would point out that idolizing "thug life" isn't going to get you far in real life. It won't especially help erase racial tensions. Who was the last white rapper to break out after eminem??

To a large portion of the population they are deeply proud of their heritage and where they came from and most will never really get rid of that. So we have to be careful about what we consider racism. If what I highlighted above is truly the answer to how to deal with this, then there isn't anything we can do about it. Hawaiians will always love Hawaii. The Japanese will always love Japan. The Mexicans will always love Mexico. Americans will always love America! Maybe racism ends when there are no more nations...

Concerning the bolded part - look again at what I wrote. I fully realize that "we" are simply telling "them" to "knock it off"...but what I am referring to is NOT what we intend to mean or say, but to how our words are received by a group of people who're still digging themselves out of a socioeconomic hole dug from centuries of slavery followed by a near-century of Jim Crow. Put an entire demographic through that, and they're not always going to receive your words as you intend...

...especially when they see SO many racists - a few of them who you and I see here on DP almost every day - who still want to treat them as a lesser people.

And fixing America's problem with racism has to start with those who are socioeconomically dominant - which is us. You can't take a downtrodden demographic (regardless of what that demographic may be - race, ethnicity, religion, whatever) and tell them "behave yourselves!" without first fixing your own behavior - they'll just look at you like you're just being a hypocrite, and rightly so in their eyes.

One last thing - even if there are no more nations, as long as there are different shades of skin, there will be racism. Racism is but one form of prejudice...and prejudice is the fear/rejection/suspicion of the different...whatever that difference may be.

That would be the one thing liberals don't want to happen. People should feel free to talk to each other.

Lil Dicky :)

Name one thing that blacks and whites each need to do to help end racism. Or, at least mitigate it quite a bit.

Generic, as groups. Something significant. Please answer for both, not just one.

White people- Don't be so hard against some kind of reparations, community development, sometime like that, for Black people.
It's not your fault they were slaves or didn't have civil rights, but there is a historical precedent of why they've been held back and the civil rights era, wasn't that long ago.

Black people- The conspiracy theory thinking needs to stop, Whites don't want to keep you down.

America's made great strides in this respect...but then something else has happened along the way: the changing demographics. The demographic makeup of America is changing to where whites will sooner or later be a plurality, but not a majority - and this change appears to be unstoppable and irreversible. In all such instances I can think of through history of demographic changes (be it race, ethnicity, or religion), such has resulted in the dominant group "circling the wagons" to preserve their power...and it's always resulted in widespread violence. One can see this "circling of the wagons" in the Right today, in the GOP, and even among the conservatives here on DP. One can only hope that America's educated enough and courageous enough to be the first nation to ever make this change without widespread violence.

Since there many who feel that the pace of social and demographic change is too fast and respond inappropriately - reactionary tendencies, divisive rhetoric and even violence - isn't it also evident that there is equally inappropriate behaviour from many who feel that the pace of change is too slow?

Concerning the bolded part - look again at what I wrote. I fully realize that "we" are simply telling "them" to "knock it off"...but what I am referring to is NOT what we intend to mean or say, but to how our words are received by a group of people who're still digging themselves out of a socioeconomic hole dug from centuries of slavery followed by a near-century of Jim Crow. Put an entire demographic through that, and they're not always going to receive your words as you intend...

And fixing America's problem with racism has to start with those who are socioeconomically dominant - which is us. You can't take a downtrodden demographic (regardless of what that demographic may be - race, ethnicity, religion, whatever) and tell them "behave yourselves!" without first fixing your own behavior - they'll just look at you like you're just being a hypocrite, and rightly so in their eyes.

They shouldn't think that way and part of the problem is that their idols and their political leaders are telling them to think that way. It's also part of the reason why 90% of blacks vote Democrat. Democrats keep saying that Republicans are majority racist when they just pick and choose topics to make our party LOOK like it's racist. I'm not so why you think there are SOOOO many racists out there because in the extreme part of that word and the actions that go along with it. There really isn't. Nobody's burning crosses or lynching people anymore and the only time I hear the N-word uttered is by other black people!

If that's what black people think is the problem then it's blown way out of proportion. If it's lesser things like people's preconceived notions about culture. Then there isn't really anything that can be done.

I don't really think it's that big of a problem, especially since you say there will always be some form of racism. That's no excuse of course for these political groups to be acting in the manner that they are just to get on TV and worse, the Radio.

Last edited:

Racism is a genetic disease of humankind. It can never be cured, it can only be controlled.

Off load the politicians that have created the new slavery of public housing and inner-city ghettos to isolate their government reliant slaves.

Whites: Give up political correctness and social programs
Blacks: Take individual responsibility for their own destiny.

Back
Top Bottom