• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Name one thing that blacks and whites each need to do to help end racism.

Political Parties, Banks, Television and War are all racist institutions.

lol. Those things aren't going to go away even if you magically had a reset button to reset everything. Dumb argument that lacks substance.

To stop making race an issue, we need to stop making race an issue.

Well that's not going to happen because the political left relies on race and race-baiting for votes.

Maybe one day after Jessie, Al, and Louis have gone on to that great Rainbow Coalition in the sky...

Unfortunately, there's a whole new group of race-baiters out there calling for dead cops.

Name one thing that blacks and whites each need to do to help end racism. Or, at least mitigate it quite a bit.

Generic, as groups. Something significant. Please answer for both, not just one.
Sure! Date each other!

It worked for me!

Blacks must watch and like Game of Thrones.

What stereotyping is there? I mean yes, it is a fallacy, but most stereotypes have at least some basis in fact. So what, specifically, is the problem?

Blacks are welfare people living in ghettos with no ambition to improve their lot in life.
Black males are dangerous.
Whites are born to privilege and have no understanding of the lower classes.
White people are descendants of slave holders.

There are thousands of them.

We need to quit pigeonholing people into categories. Once we learn that all men are really brothers and all Americans are Americans first, then we'll begin to end racism. Not until.

Blacks are welfare people living in ghettos with no ambition to improve their lot in life.

Nobody thinks all blacks are welfare people because clearly that's not true, but clearly, a lot are and multi-generational welfare living is very common.

Black males are dangerous.

FBI crime statistics show that this is generally true. When 13% of the population is committing more than 50% of the violent crime, there's a problem.

Whites are born to privilege and have no understanding of the lower classes.

Well that's nonsense because white people are in every socioeconomic class.

White people are descendants of slave holders.

Some are, some aren't. Lots of black people are descendants of slave owners too.

There are thousands of them.

We need to quit pigeonholing people into categories. Once we learn that all men are really brothers and all Americans are Americans first, then we'll begin to end racism. Not until.

I'm not seeing how these are particularly untrue for the most part though. If black males, which made up something like 8% of the population, only committed 8% of the violent crime, nobody would bother saying otherwise. The fact is though, they don't. So that stereotype is actually pretty accurate. I don't remember what the percentage is for black males in prison off the top of my head, but it's much higher for black males than for any other racial group. Maybe instead of complaining about stereotypes, they ought to do something about the underlying facts?

I don't need to do a god damned thing other than treat every person I meet with decency, and lend a helping hand when they need it.

I am "effing" tired of the race issue.........and I have seen plenty of ugliness due to black and white violence...................... with wrong being on both sides of the issue.

But.............if you come at me acting like a animal, I will treat you like one.

thread winner-well said.

The first thing is to recognize that while racism is to be found in all races and cultures and nations, the most egregious racism in any nation will be committed by the group that is socioeconomically dominant. This is not a white or a black thing, but a human thing. Check any nation you like, and you'll find that the worst actions of prejudice were committed by those belonging to the group with the most power. The only exception I can think of is between two ethnic groups - the Hutu and the Tutsi in Rwanda - in which the Tutsi were the socioeconomically dominant group...and the more-numerous Hutu got tired of it and decided to commit genocide.

Therefore, the first steps to decrease the racism is to recognize which side is and has been the victim, and to deglamorize the racism by that dominant group. Make the racism uncool...and that's what America's tried - and is trying - to do.

America's made great strides in this respect...but then something else has happened along the way: the changing demographics. The demographic makeup of America is changing to where whites will sooner or later be a plurality, but not a majority - and this change appears to be unstoppable and irreversible. In all such instances I can think of through history of demographic changes (be it race, ethnicity, or religion), such has resulted in the dominant group "circling the wagons" to preserve their power...and it's always resulted in widespread violence. One can see this "circling of the wagons" in the Right today, in the GOP, and even among the conservatives here on DP. One can only hope that America's educated enough and courageous enough to be the first nation to ever make this change without widespread violence.

your attempt to blame the right for this is one of the reasons why there are so many problems

Similar to what Glen said here:

However, this has to be in the hearts of all peoples and all races. Blacks can't force the issue down people's throats. Whites shouldn't say it doesn't exist. However, this current political climate with both sides going at each other and IMO one group being louder than the other, doesn't really help things all that much. Once things calm down and people stop propping up these new political groups that just want to grab whatever power they can hold onto and keep it for as long as possible, they don't really care about change. They might scream loud but they are really just looking for their 15 minutes of fame so they can say, we accomplished something. NO! Killing fellow people and destroying property is NOT accomplishing something!!!! If those groups would ever acknowledge this as well, then we can start to get somewhere, but as of now that's the problem I see with all this activism going on. I don't care what social cause you are rooting for.

This isn't the 1800s and the loudest voice in the room shouldn't get the all clear to say whatever the heck they want and get away with it! I mean if you really listen to the WORDS that these groups are saying, it's nuts. ON BOTH SIDES!!! You can do all the analysis and thought-provoking philosophy discussions you want on what He/She meant when they said this or that. That makes things worse too. Over analyzing and lack of leadership. Someone to say enough is enough and to stop this nonsense and to ACTUALLY put our differences aside and come together. A leaderless protest group is the most pointless thing on the planet and never amounts to anything significant but chaos and violence.

The problem is that we have to keep from addressing the issue as if both sides are equally wrong - that's a false equivalency. We whites are more in the wrong - see Goldwater's disapproval of the civil rights act, Nixon's Southern Strategy, Reagan's "welfare queen" claims, and the GOP's shift from supporting the voting rights act in 2006 to strong opposition to renewing it even two years later - after Obama was elected.

Do you think these are happening behind closed doors? No. They're happening out there where everyone can see it. And it's not just blacks - the other minorities can see it, too...and that's why they're all supporting the Left, even though they are all normally socially conservative.

Thing is, we can't demand that blacks "behave" like we want them to. We can't control their behavior. We can't tell them what they can or can't do - they spent centuries following the orders of whites, and anytime we tell them "what they gotta do", many of them can't help but think, "There goes whitey tellin' us what we can or can't do again." That's not a right-or-wrong thing - it's a human thing. Just as Pandora's out of the box, the blacks are off the plantation and they will not react well to anyone giving them what look like orders on how they as a race ought to behave. The only thing that we whites can do is for ourselves to behave, for ourselves to end even any appearance of racism on our part. Then and only then can we expect as much from anyone else.

That said, I don't believe any of the above will happen anytime soon - read the last paragraph of my previous post. Whites - specifically, conservative whites - will continue to "circle the wagons" to protect their gradually-diminishing power base. That is in and of itself what I believe to be the underlying cause of the unrest to which you refer. That's not a deliberate thing on the part of any one person - it's a demographic thing...and I can only hope we're educated enough as a nation to avoid the widespread violence that has always accompanied such demographic shifts throughout human history.

Name one thing that blacks and whites each need to do to help end racism. Or, at least mitigate it quite a bit.

Generic, as groups. Something significant. Please answer for both, not just one.
Stop finding racism where there is none: "When it rains, I get wet because I'm black".

And don't assume I'm racist because I may not like you.

Cross-breed.

That being off the table, integrate efforts. Example: invite black community leaders to ride / patrol with police officers in their communities.

As a gay man, I dispute that.

How? If no one knows your sexual orientation, which is no one's business, then how does it not apply to you? Especially after Obergefell v. Hodges? Prior to that, yeah, I can see that, but not now.

Cross-breed.

That being off the table, integrate efforts. Example: invite black community leaders to ride / patrol with police officers in their communities.

Oooh, that's a good idea.

Whites: Stop labeling people, and start treating everyone on an even keel. Stop referring to someone as "my black friend," like he's a freakin' trophy or something. Something needed that justifies your views on blacks. Just quit it.

Blacks: Stop with the ghetto culture. Wanna know why you're stuck in the 'hood? Not because you're black. It's because you're ghetto. You have a choice. Stop being ghetto. People who control the good jobs don't have a problem hiring black folk. They're just leery of hiring ghetto folk.

your attempt to blame the right for this is one of the reasons why there are so many problems

Yeah, it's not the Right's fault that Goldwater disapproved of the Civil Rights Act.

It's not the Right's fault that Nixon deliberately attracted the racists in the Deep South with his Southern Strategy.

It's not the Right's fault that Reagan drummed up the claims of "welfare queens".

It's not the Right's fault that two years after having strongly supporting renewal of the Voting Rights Act, the GOP strongly opposed the Voting Rights Act - strangely enough, just after Obama got elected.

It's not the Right's fault that the GOP has nominated a guy for president who is a racist, a xenophobe, and a misogynist.

It's not the Right's fault that they nominated a guy who publicizes information he found on a white supremacist website.

TD, what you don't get, sir, is that I KNOW that the overwhelming majority of those on the Right really are good, good-hearted, well-meaning people with no real malice in their hearts. I know this. But I also know that the same was true of my family and every white I knew in my youth...and they were all racist. That doesn't mean that the overwhelming majority of Republicans are. It just means that they - and you - are being led down a path to someplace you really don't wanna go...and you don't even realize it.

Cross-breed.

They do that in Charlotte, and it's made a difference. So, good idea. The ride along part, that is.

They do that in Charlotte, and it's made a difference. So, good idea. The ride along part, that is.
It's long past time we took all those lessons we learned developing COIN and applied them to domestic security issues.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's not the Right's fault that Goldwater disapproved of the Civil Rights Act.

It's not the Right's fault that Nixon deliberately attracted the racists in the Deep South with his Southern Strategy.

It's not the Right's fault that Reagan drummed up the claims of "welfare queens".

It's not the Right's fault that two years after having strongly supporting renewal of the Voting Rights Act, the GOP strongly opposed the Voting Rights Act - strangely enough, just after Obama got elected.

It's not the Right's fault that the GOP has nominated a guy for president who is a racist, a xenophobe, and a misogynist.

It's not the Right's fault that they nominated a guy who publicizes information he found on a white supremacist website.

TD, what you don't get, sir, is that I KNOW that the overwhelming majority of those on the Right really are good, good-hearted, well-meaning people with no real malice in their hearts. I know this. But I also know that the same was true of my family and every white I knew in my youth...and they were all racist. That doesn't mean that the overwhelming majority of Republicans are. It just means that they - and you - are being led down a path to someplace you really don't wanna go...and you don't even realize it.

your partisan hackery is the problem. Its Democrats who opposed the CRA as well. and its the left's fault that there are welfare queens. Its the left's fault that black males commit more than 50% of the murders and that we have countless examples of black women who have multiple children with multiple "baby daddies". Your moronic claim that all whites are racist does not help and appears to be another case of self-flagellation on your part as you try to pretend you really are a true convert to the loon left side of the aisle. And don't for a minute pretend you can "realize" something about me that I don't know. That is the usual tripe from the left-and I tire of people pretending they know more what is better for me or about me than I do

As a Goldwater Republican, I feel the need to educate you just a tad here - Goldwater's opposition was on Constitutional grounds based on two parts of the bill that he felt were unconstitutional, not racial. Here, read this:

[...]

As for the Republican nominee's position on the Civil Rights Act, Goldwater had said he would vote for passage if Section II on public accommodations and Section VII on equal employment opportunity were removed. With his view reinforced by a detailed memorandum from Phoenix lawyer and future Chief Justice William Rehnquist, Goldwater felt these sections were unconstitutional, were unenforceable without a federal police force, and would lead to the creation of racial quotas and affirmative action.

"He was absolutely right about [the two sections of the Civil Rights Act] and they did lead to precisely what Goldwater and most conservatives were afraid of," said Tom Winter, then executive editor of Human Events, who would join Ryskind as its co-owner a year later. As for the "extremism in the defense of liberty" speech, Winter recalled watching it from a San Francisco restaurant "and cheering it because it was clearly about freedom and fighting communism. I certainly didn't think it had anything to do with race."

[...]

You can read the entire article here, if you want to understand the facts rather than the BS: NPR Wrong on Goldwater '64, Civil Rights, Say 4 Who Were There

And from his own mouth:

It's long past time we took all those lessons we learned developing COIN and applied them to domestic security issues.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

That would be considered politically incorrect and racist. Can you imagine? Counter Insurgency being stated on CNN about Baltimore, or Detroit, or Chicago, or DC? However, I totally agree with you, even though I know the Democrats would have a fit, just like they did when the term "refugee" was used to describe people fleeing Louisiana and Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina (they said it was racist even then).

Nobody thinks all blacks are welfare people because clearly that's not true, but clearly, a lot are and multi-generational welfare living is very common.

FBI crime statistics show that this is generally true. When 13% of the population is committing more than 50% of the violent crime, there's a problem.

Well that's nonsense because white people are in every socioeconomic class.

Some are, some aren't. Lots of black people are descendants of slave owners too.

I'm not seeing how these are particularly untrue for the most part though. If black males, which made up something like 8% of the population, only committed 8% of the violent crime, nobody would bother saying otherwise. The fact is though, they don't. So that stereotype is actually pretty accurate. I don't remember what the percentage is for black males in prison off the top of my head, but it's much higher for black males than for any other racial group. Maybe instead of complaining about stereotypes, they ought to do something about the underlying facts?

I see you buy into the stereotype. Now, carry it out one step further: If young black males are responsible for proportionally more crime than are any other demographic, then young black males are to be avoided. If Larry (made up name, could be anyone) is a young black male, then he must be a thug. That's stereotyping.

All of the examples I cited have some scintilla of truth behind them. All of them are stereotypes that should not be applied to individuals.

Problem:

If a white is offered a choice between taking a menial job or going on welfare, I would wager he'd go on welfare.
If a black is offered a choice between taking a menial job or going on welfare, I would wager he'd go on welfare.
If an illegal alien is offered a menial job, he'll take it.

Solution:

End welfare immediately.(disclaimer-I am not advocating for leaving the mentally ill to die in their own vomit)

Hungry people have choices. If they work, they eat. If they rob and steal, they get shot and killed. Hunger is color blind.

Welfare punks don't need computers and TVs. They need to work and lift themselves up. If they can't do that, let them starve to death.

This endless litany of excuses and alibis is disgusting. It's REALLY funny when you realize that the only thing a LOOOZER has in his or her arsenal when confronted with reality is to make a face like they are still in the second grade and call you a "Racist." God, that is truly pathetic.

Everybody just needs to STFU, mind their own business, and get a ****ing job. If you can't find a job, maybe that means you are just a LOOOOZER.

TALK with each other.........................:doh

As a Goldwater Republican, I feel the need to educate you just a tad here - Goldwater's opposition was on Constitutional grounds based on two parts of the bill that he felt were unconstitutional, not racial.

No, he wasn't a racist...but MLK put it best: "While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racists.”

By opposing the Civil Rights Act, that's precisely what he did.

And do you really think that minorities didn't notice? From the same reference: In the 1960 election, Richard Nixon had won 32 percent of the African American vote. Goldwater got 6 percent in 1964. No Republican presidential candidate since has broken 15 percent.

Whatever political philosophy one may have, it's disingenuous to follow a philosophy of "freedom" when the details of that philosophy would enable racists to restrict the freedom of others to their malicious hearts' content.

Back
Top Bottom