• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Naan Experts??

tessaesque

Bring us a shrubbery!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I want to make Naan and I have a few questions.

1. What type of yogurt should I use in a recipe calling for such?
2. In what way is a zawa different from a flat griddle pan?

Don't know what a zawa is. Is that the toploader clay oven they use?

We've used Greek yogurt because it is what we had, and had no problem getting good results on a cast iron griddle. We had quite a few Indian friends years ago when my wife worked in hotels and according to them we did a fine job.

Don't know what a zawa is. Is that the toploader clay oven they use?

We've used Greek yogurt because it is what we had, and had no problem getting good results on a cast iron griddle. We had quite a few Indian friends years ago when my wife worked in hotels and according to them we did a fine job.

Near as I can tell, a zawa is just a flat, circle-shaped steel pan used for cooking naan and a few other indian dishes. I don't want to spend $30 on one if I can use my flat top griddle pan.

Near as I can tell, a zawa is just a flat, circle-shaped steel pan used for cooking naan and a few other indian dishes. I don't want to spend $30 on one if I can use my flat top griddle pan.

Yup. We use a 10 inch cast iron skillet. You can also use a wok.

You done put a cravin' on me. Now I want curry and naan.

I can handle it on occasion, my wife loves it. There are a couple of dishes though... there is an old Indian woman named Boku who makes the best goat meatballs I've ever had and these guys introduced be to a great way to make corn on the cob. Then throw the whole ear unpeeled right in the coals of a fire. When the husks are almost burned away pull them out, strip the husk, rub them down with a lime wedge and sprinkle with cayenne. OMG.

This thread kept me up half the night dreaming about naan and curry! I love that stuff. I just placed an order with Curry Frenzy, in the UK. I've ordered from them before, but it's been a while. I'll be slobbering for 2 weeks until it gets here.

This thread kept me up half the night dreaming about naan and curry! I love that stuff. I just placed an order with Curry Frenzy, in the UK. I've ordered from them before, but it's been a while. I'll be slobbering for 2 weeks until it gets here.

I'm actually not a HUGE curry fan, but I love a good Tikka Masala.

try a good South Indian parota. It's cooked just like Naan, but is continually folded to give it the texture of a croissant

Tikka Masala is actually more a British dish. Basically it was an attempt to adopt Indian cooking techniques and ingredients to British sensibilities

Tikka Masala is actually more a British dish. Basically it was an attempt to adopt Indian cooking techniques and ingredients to British sensibilities

Given Britain's "ownership" of India, that makes sense.

I think it should be an international crime not to like Chicken Tikka Masala. If you haven't tried it you might also like Butter Chicken, which is, I think, similar to Tikka Masala.

Chicken Phall is another Indian recipe created in the Indian restaurants in the UK. It is forever more hot. And after that it is hot, and then hot some more. It might take the hide off your tongue but if you like hot spicy foods, it's very good. Chicken Phall isn't on a lot of menus in Indian restaurants in the U.S., but you can find it.

The Brits and the Irish have a secret that we have yet to learn here in the U.S. After a steady night of beer abuse there is nothing more satisfying than ending the night with curried chips (French Fries, but better). :drink

Yogurt called for in an Indian recipe is Dahi yogurt. Plain white yogurt might work, but I've never tried using it. We have a few Indian grocers around our city and that's where I buy my groceries for Indian dishes. You usually get a better deal on spices there.

Yogurt called for in an Indian recipe is Dahi yogurt. Plain white yogurt might work, but I've never tried using it. We have a few Indian grocers around our city and that's where I buy my groceries for Indian dishes. You usually get a better deal on spices there.

Dahi is just the Indian word for yogurt. Though the difference might be pasteurization and fat content, But beyond that yogurt is yogurt

Back
Top Bottom