• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

NAACP President Kweisi Mfume Steps Down

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Yahoo News

BALTIMORE - [size=-1] Saying he needs a break, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume announced Tuesday that he's stepping down as the head of the nation's oldest and largest civil rights group.
[/size]
[size=-1] The organization's legal counsel, Dennis Hayes, will serve as interim president while a national search is conducted. [/size]

[size=-1] "For the last nine years, I've had what I believe is both the honor and the privilege to help revive and to help restore this great organization, which has ... really become an American institution," Mfume said.[/size]

[size=-1] He said he wanted to spend more time with his family. "I just need a break. I need a vacation," he said. "I'm just not going to do anything for a while. [/size]
[size=-1] Last month, the organization's chairman, Julian Bond, announced that its tax-exempt status is under review by the government in an investigation he contends stems from a speech he gave that criticized President Bush . Bond said IRS agents were investigating his keynote address July 11 at the NAACP's annual convention in Philadelphia. [/size]

[size=-1] For an organization to keep its tax-exempt status, "leaders cannot make partisan comments in official organization publications or at official organizational functions," according to an Oct. 8 letter to the NAACP from the IRS office in Louisville, Ky.
[/size]

[size=-1]I wonder if a behind the scenes deal was made?
[/size]

Back
Top Bottom