• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NAACP links earthquake signs in Oregon to white supremacy

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From ABC News

A new city policy requiring public signs on brick buildings warning they might collapse in an earthquake is part of a long history of white supremacy aimed at forcing black people to move out of neighborhoods, the NAACP of Portland, Oregon, says.

The group on Thursday decried the policy affecting some 1,600 unreinforced masonry buildings that are on average 90 years old, many in areas with a predominantly black population, The Oregonian/OregonLive reports .

The policy "exacerbates a long history of systemic and structural betrayals of trust and policies of displacement, demolition, and dispossession predicated on classism, racism, and white supremacy," the group said.

The NAACP said the policy will make it tougher for owners of brick buildings to get loans and will discourage investment. It says that means buildings will have to be sold, and that developers will demolish and redevelop, increasing the cost to live there and forcing current residents out.

COMMENT:-

My immediate reaction was "What a bunch of idiots.".

But I thought about it for a while and have decided that there is a very easy solution to this blatantly racist policy and that is to amend the bylaw to exempt any property owner that is not "White" from posting those signs. This will help redress decades of unfair trade practices where people with less money (read as "non-White people") have been forced into buying only property that costs less. Since the prices for the buildings which DO have the signs posted will, inevitably, fall, that will level the playing field since the "non-White" property owners will find that the relative value of their property holdings has increased. Of course if those "non-White" property owners sell their property to "White" property owners, then the "White" property owners will have to post the signs and that will mean that the value of the property will drop and that will enable other "non-White" people to purchase the property at its "fair market value". This is what is known as "Race Free Capitalism In Action For The Benefit Of The Oppressed'.

Then I thought about it some more and reverted to "What a bunch of idiots.".

Places where exist a reasonable likelihood that the earth may literally and perceptibly "move under my feet" are places to which I will not move. That has nothing to do with my race.

Aside:
Ages ago, I led a project for a Los Angeles firm. I grew to enjoy "life" in L.A. and I made a number of acquaintances that have endured to this day. Even as I had a great time in L.A., the whole time I was there, in the back of my mind I prayed the earth beneath my feet. Furthermore, I sighed with relief when none of my kids opted to matriculate to CA universities.​

From ABC News

A new city policy requiring public signs on brick buildings warning they might collapse in an earthquake is part of a long history of white supremacy aimed at forcing black people to move out of neighborhoods, the NAACP of Portland, Oregon, says.

The group on Thursday decried the policy affecting some 1,600 unreinforced masonry buildings that are on average 90 years old, many in areas with a predominantly black population, The Oregonian/OregonLive reports .

The policy "exacerbates a long history of systemic and structural betrayals of trust and policies of displacement, demolition, and dispossession predicated on classism, racism, and white supremacy," the group said.

The NAACP said the policy will make it tougher for owners of brick buildings to get loans and will discourage investment. It says that means buildings will have to be sold, and that developers will demolish and redevelop, increasing the cost to live there and forcing current residents out.

But I thought about it for a while and have decided that there is a very easy solution to this blatantly racist policy and that is to amend the bylaw to exempt any property owner that is not "White" from posting those signs. This will help redress decades of unfair trade practices where people with less money (read as "non-White people") have been forced into buying only property that costs less. Since the prices for the buildings which DO have the signs posted will, inevitably, fall, that will level the playing field since the "non-White" property owners will find that the relative value of their property holdings has increased. Of course if those "non-White" property owners sell their property to "White" property owners, then the "White" property owners will have to post the signs and that will mean that the value of the property will drop and that will enable other "non-White" people to purchase the property at its "fair market value". This is what is known as "Race Free Capitalism In Action For The Benefit Of The Oppressed'.

At least you are thinking.

Many people would just go with your discriminatory law route.

More fake cries of "racism!" from the NAACP.

From ABC News

Not surprising. Somewhere around Portland they’re changing the names of several schools because the family who funded/donated to establish them was named Lynch.

Not surprising. Somewhere around Portland they’re changing the names of several schools because the family who funded/donated to establish them was named Lynch.

There are days when you just want to bang your head against the wall, aren't there?

I prefer to resist the temptation by (metaphorically) banging THEIR heads against the wall.

Back
Top Bottom