• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NAACP calls Hallmark graduation card racist

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
NAACP calls Hallmark graduation card racist | abc7.com

Watch the video on the link also

CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- A graduation card sold at local stores has been pulled from shelves after a civil rights group raised concerns about the content. The group claims the card's micro-speaker plays a greeting that's racist.
It is a graduation greeting from Hallmark that says, "Hey world, we are officially putting you on notice."
Members of the Los Angeles NAACP did take notice. As characters known as "Hoops" and "Yoyo" banter on, African American leaders hear offensive language.
"And you black holes, you are so ominous. Watch your back," the card vocalizes.
"That was very demeaning to African American women. When it made reference to African American women as whores and at the end, it says 'watch your back,'" said Leon Jenkins of the Los Angeles NAACP.
When Hallmark was reached by phone, they said the card is all a misunderstanding. The card's theme is the solar system and emphasizes the power of the grad to take over the universe, even energy-absorbing black holes.
The card company says the card speaks about the power the grad will wield.
"The intent here is to say that this graduate is not afraid of anything," explained Hallmark spokesman Steve Doyal.
But that's not what some people heard.
"You hear the 'r' in there. 'Whores,' not, 'holes.' The 'r' is in there," said Minnie Hatley of the Los Angeles NAACP.
Hallmark sent Eyewitness News a transcript of what the card says, but Hatley says that the actual audio raises questions.
"It sounds like a group of children laughing and joking about blackness, again," said another NAACP member.
Hallmark is now notifying all of its stores to pull the card. Walgreens and CVS are doing the same.
"In any situation where there is a circumstance that we need to be sensitive to, we try to learn from that experience," said Doyal.
However, NAACP members say they do not want to see the card on store shelves ever again.

Well that has to be one of the dumber things I have heard about today.

Completely ridiculous, fight for civil rights but find a real issue.

I swear some people actually go around purposely trying to find things to be offended by. How dumb can you get, it's clearly not talking about black people.

I swear some people actually go around purposely trying to find things to be offended by. How dumb can you get, it's clearly not talking about black people.

shut your black hole!

I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to cross Beyonce's event horizon

Perhaps a society called NAANCP should be formed simply to balance the outpourings of the NAACP.
National Association for the Advancement of Non Colored People.

Oh my God it is Hallmark. The NCAAP is going after Hallmark. The one place that tries to sell good, kindness and thank you cards for a dollar. Stupidity at its best by the NCAAP with this move.

Oh my God it is Hallmark. The NCAAP is going after Hallmark. The one place that tries to sell good, kindness and thank you cards for a dollar. Stupidity at its best by the NCAAP with this move.

Hallmark makes up holidays to sell cheap, disingenuous crap to you at grossly inflated prices. :)

I'd like to hear the card itself but it sounds to me like it's making a nerd joke, not a race joke.

edit: Hey video started working. ROFL. People really do hear what they want to hear.

Last edited:
Hallmark makes up holidays to sell cheap, disingenuous crap to you at grossly inflated prices. :)

I'd like to hear the card itself but it sounds to me like it's making a nerd joke, not a race joke.

The NAACP has so outlived it's usefulness.

This is all about the NAACP wanting to get power and scare people into obeying them. The card is clearly not racist and it takes wishful thinking in order to want it to be racist. Seriously, the NAACP has become a joke and no one should take them seriously. There is still racism in America, but there are also race baiting organization like the NAACP that make issues out of nothing.

I've got to point out that the NAACP going after this science based Graduation Card....

Does anyone else not see the irony of the situation? The NAACP is perpetuating a stereotype of Black people being stupid with this protest...

I'd be just damned embarrassed if I were black and a member of the NAACP after this stupidity.

edit: Hey video started working. ROFL. People really do hear what they want to hear.

No lie, I had to listen to it like 4 times to even see if I could hear the r. Nope no r. What is even funnier is that the card has been out for three years and only now it is a problem.

This is all about the NAACP wanting to get power and scare people into obeying them. The card is clearly not racist and it takes wishful thinking in order to want it to be racist. Seriously, the NAACP has become a joke and no one should take them seriously. There is still racism in America, but there are also race baiting organization like the NAACP that make issues out of nothing.

That's why I call it the Civil Rights Industry instead of the Civil Rights Movement.

I am completely offended by the fact the NAACP is so freaking stupid. I am also offended Hallmark removed the card because of stupid people.

Black on white crime is ok. The little honkey bastard probably had it coming. :rofl

Or maybe it had nothing to do with race. Crazy I know, but dare to dream. :roll:

The NAACP is bitching about an innocent card while remaining completely silent on this:

Black Principal Attacks White Student (Caught on Video) - Political Forum

This is why the NAACP has no credibility.

Why would they care? It is not a racially motivated incident. It is a principal over reacting to some event by a student. Nothing in the story or video had anything to do with race????

I admit if it was a white principal on a black student, every race baiter on the planet would have jumped on it including the NAACP, even though it had nothing to do with race.

So yea, no credibility here at all.

Last edited:
Why would they care? It is not a racially motivated incident. It is a principal over reacting to some event by a student. Nothing in the story or video had anything to do with race????

I admit if it was a white principal on a black student, every race baiter on the planet would have jumped on it including the NAACP, even though it had nothing to do with race.

So yea, no credibility here at all.

The Hoops and Yoyo card doesn't have anything to do with race, either....I hope you see my point.

Back
Top Bottom