• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

N.Y. college students accused of fabricating racially motivated attack

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Wow, another phony accusation racism exposed for the fraud that it is. I have so many thoughts right now after seeing the bus videos and the 911 calls the girls made, but I'm going to refrain at this time and let the dust settle.

By Pilar Melendez and Lorenzo Ferrigno, CNN
Updated 1950 GMT (0250 HKT) May 3, 2016

(CNN)Three New York college students who said they were targets of a racially motivated attack face multiple charges for what prosecutors are calling a false claim.

A grand jury on Monday indicted Ariel Agudio, Asha Burwell and Alexis Briggs, all 20, each on a charge of third-degree assault and multiple counts of falsely reporting an incident, the Albany District Attorney's Office said.

Agudio and Burwell also face charges of harassment. Agudio also was charged with two counts of attempted assault.

The State University of New York at Albany rallied behind the students, who are black, when they came forward with claims that a group of white men and women attacked them on January 30 in a confrontation on a city bus. Students held a rally and university President Robert J. Jones said in a letter to students and faculty that he was "deeply concerned, saddened and angry about this incident."

Others came to their defense on social media using the hashtag #DefendBlackGirlsUAlbany. The People of Color Caucus issued a letter in support of them.

But university police said an investigation revealed that no one used racial epithets against the women. Instead, they assaulted another passenger and falsely reported the incident.

Students accused of making up hate attack are indicted - CNN.com

I'm glad they're being charged. We have to fight back against this SJW blight among the American landscape.

Wow, another phony accusation racism exposed for the fraud that it is. I have so many thoughts right now after seeing the bus videos and the 911 calls the girls made, but I'm going to refrain at this time and let the dust settle.

<snip>
Hey, I'm all for a just society, but if they broke the law - throw them in the pokey! :thumbs:

Now just imagine the possible ramifications that could occur following a bad date with one of these cons!

Scary!

Tawana Brawley would be proud.

Throw the book at these lying bitches. Then once they're out of prison, they can work for Al Sharpton.

Hey, I'm all for a just society, but if they broke the law - throw them in the pokey! :thumbs:

Now just imagine the possible ramifications that could occur following a bad date with one of these cons!

Scary!

I was going to say that they shouldn't go to jail if they had just made up a story and no one got hurt. But it seems that they had assaulted someone else, and then tried to cover it up by claiming to be the victim. So jail may be appropriate here.

I was going to say that they shouldn't go to jail if they had just made up a story and no one got hurt. But it seems that they had assaulted someone else, and then tried to cover it up by claiming to be the victim. So jail may be appropriate here.
I disagree.

I think filing false police reports and/or false charges should be handled very seriously.

Their lying can have severe consequences for the accused, and as such the consequences of their fraudulent legal accusations should have severe consequences for them as well.

These aren't just lies, but lies leading to extremely serious consequence: The possible loss of one's freedom.

I know someone close to me that had to defend themselves against a fabricated serious felony charge. After he prevailed, his accuser suffered no ill consequence besides the humility of not seeing her charges upheld. The falsely accused however had his life completely turned over, and was stressed and publicly shunned to no end (the charges made the papers).

False charges are extremely serious in my opinion (and in reality, too!).

This is kind of an old story and I'm kind of surprised it didn't get much attention outside the local area. The girls are likely going to get little more than a slap on the wrist because that's just the kind of place Albany is.

allow the members of the duke lacrosse team to be the members of their jury

Nothing new here.

I went to the State University of New York in Binghamton.

Back then.. the Jewish Student Union was vandalized and covered with racial slurs. We had protests, marches, speeches, sit ins for months protesting the vandalism..

The police eventually caught the perpetrators. They were the president and I believe the vice president of the Jewish student union.. who vandalized their own student union in an effort to " raise awareness".

A couple of years later.. There was an accusation that a fraternity had committed a gang rape off campus. this got even dirtier... besides the protests, sit ins, marches and speeches... the Womans Organization.. went so far as to send letters to family members of those they suspected in the rape.. the letter stated that "your son may or may not have been involved in a rape and they need to come forward with information". they also posted signs in the dorms of those they thought might be involved that said "Does a rapist live among you?".

My parents were sent that letter despite that fact that I was not even in the suspected fraternity and was at an out of state wrestling tournament at the time. There were complaints filed and eventually investigation by the police led the Woman's organization to admit that they had no evidence that a rape happened.

We do have serious issues in this country but this type of sensationalism/fabrication seriously undermines true reforms.

Is it my imagination, or has this been a pretty common thing these past few months? Weren't the poop swastikas fake as well? And the neon nooses?

Nothing new here.

I went to the State University of New York in Binghamton.

Back then.. the Jewish Student Union was vandalized and covered with racial slurs. We had protests, marches, speeches, sit ins for months protesting the vandalism..

The police eventually caught the perpetrators. They were the president and I believe the vice president of the Jewish student union.. who vandalized their own student union in an effort to " raise awareness".

A couple of years later.. There was an accusation that a fraternity had committed a gang rape off campus. this got even dirtier... besides the protests, sit ins, marches and speeches... the Womans Organization.. went so far as to send letters to family members of those they suspected in the rape.. the letter stated that "your son may or may not have been involved in a rape and they need to come forward with information".

My parents were sent that letter despite that fact that I was not even in the suspected fraternity and was at an out of state wrestling tournament at the time. There were complaints filed and eventually investigation by the police led the Woman's organization to admit that they had no evidence that a rape happened.

We do have serious issues in this country but this type of sensationalism/fabrication seriously undermines true reforms.

try being a male teacher in a non-unionized high school
all it takes is one unsubstantiated allegation by a pissed off student to ruin your career

This is kind of an old story and I'm kind of surprised it didn't get much attention outside the local area. The girls are likely going to get little more than a slap on the wrist because that's just the kind of place Albany is.

More like a pat on the back rather than a slap on the wrist.

all it takes is one unsubstantiated allegation by a pissed off student to ruin your career

totally true... its why I support school unions.

My dad, a teacher, gave a student a D because that's the work that the kid did. My dad made it clear to the parents that the child had potential and was smart but simply did not complete any of the graded assignments or projects required.

The parents were mad because their son could not play baseball with a D.
The principle pressured my Dad to give the kid a C so he could play. My dad refused because he said it was not fair to the other students that had earned a D and they weren;t getting their grades changed.

That's when the allegations of racism came about. They accused my Dad of being racist because he gave the kid a D (my dad being white.. the child African American),

If it wasn't for the union.. he would have been probably canned for doing the right thing by the kid. the school board ultimately decided to simply change the childs grade to a c so that he could play on the baseball team.

Scary!

people should stop jumping to false outrage until we know the whole truth of the matter.

Here's some more video and audio of the incident.

totally true... its why I support school unions.

My dad, a teacher, gave a student a D because that's the work that the kid did. My dad made it clear to the parents that the child had potential and was smart but simply did not complete any of the graded assignments or projects required.

The parents were mad because their son could not play baseball with a D.
The principle pressured my Dad to give the kid a C so he could play. My dad refused because he said it was not fair to the other students that had earned a D and they weren;t getting their grades changed.

That's when the allegations of racism came about. They accused my Dad of being racist because he gave the kid a D (my dad being white.. the child African American),

If it wasn't for the union.. he would have been probably canned for doing the right thing by the kid. the school board ultimately decided to simply change the childs grade to a c so that he could play on the baseball team.
I'm a strong proponent of unions in private enterprise.

But I'm also a strong *opponent* of unions in public service!

However, it's stories like this that sometimes give me pause in my thoughts of being against public sector unions.

Is it my imagination, or has this been a pretty common thing these past few months? Weren't the poop swastikas fake as well? And the neon nooses?

The Social Justice Whiners were trying to jumpstart their movement, and what better way to do that then to create hoaxes to become their cause célèbre.

Unfortunately, these scuzzy pieces of humanity have been able to convince some in authority (mostly on college campuses) to capitulate to their cries for change to ease their "pain and suffering". This in turn makes them stronger. Hopefully the real world will be mega-cruel to them so they'll learn the true meaning of pain and suffering.

Here's some more video and audio of the incident.

<snip>
I'm glad the coppers were able to figure it out, 'cuz I can't make jack out of the video! :doh

Sadly, this is becoming the rule, rather than the exception.

I disagree.

I think filing false police reports and/or false charges should be handled very seriously.

Their lying can have severe consequences for the accused, and as such the consequences of their fraudulent legal accusations should have severe consequences for them as well.

These aren't just lies, but lies leading to extremely serious consequence: The possible loss of one's freedom.

I know someone close to me that had to defend themselves against a fabricated serious felony charge. After he prevailed, his accuser suffered no ill consequence besides the humility of not seeing her charges upheld. The falsely accused however had his life completely turned over, and was stressed and publicly shunned to no end (the charges made the papers).

I'm not saying it's not serious or shouldn't be punished. But I think for many non-violent crimes (which this isn't, it centered around assault) that instead of jail we could use fines and massive community service.

I'm glad the coppers were able to figure it out, 'cuz I can't make jack out of the video! :doh

There are actually 4 separate videos from the bus that I've seen and none show exactly what started the whole affair but at no point in any of the videos did it appear that anyone other than the "victims" assaulted anyone.

There are actually 4 separate videos from the bus that I've seen and none show exactly what started the whole affair but at no point in any of the videos did it appear that anyone other than the "victims" assaulted anyone.
Good enough, 'cuz I couldn't make anything out of it, but it seems the coppers agree with you and that what counts.

I'm a strong proponent of unions in private enterprise.

But I'm also a strong *opponent* of unions in public service!

However, it's stories like this that sometimes give me pause in my thoughts of being against public sector unions.

the irony is that I am more of the reverse.

If you have an union in a private enterprise,.. you generally suck as an employer. I mean you have to be treating your employees bad enough that they are willing to give up salary to have a union help them.

But I really understand unions in the public sector. Every few years the political landscape can change for you. suddenly administrations are doing a 180 degree turn from what was policy the day before. And you don't have the bottom line to fall to. In the private sector.. you may not like an employee.. but if they are productive.. you are always looking at the bottom line. In the public sector.. not so much. Politics matter more than productivity.

If people are made at public unions their anger is misplaced. they should be angry at their politicians that have jerked around the employees so much that they are willing to pay a union to protect them from the whims of the politicians.

I disagree.

I feel like if it can be proven to actually be false charges (not just an acquittal) that the accuser should be charged and convicted of the very crime they fabricated.

I feel like if it can be proven to actually be false charges (not just an acquittal) that the accuser should be charged and convicted of the very crime they fabricated.
I'm not sure about a quid pro quo charge, but yes the false accusers should face charges in fraudulent instances. There are already some mechanisms in place, but they seem little used.

Back
Top Bottom