• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

N.Korea's cunning scheme to disrupt the nuke talks

hipoby

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
North Korea on Monday called for peace talks with countries including the United states that signed the armistice ending the Korean War. Having declared "six-party denuclearization talks dead and buried following UN sanctions after a missile test in April, it is now proposing the peace talks as a precondition to its return to the stalled dialogue."

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Korean War that started in 1950. North Korea did not name the countries that signed the armistice, but the North has previously sought to exclude South Korea from any peace talks saying Seoul was not directly involved.

By the way, why did they take out this peace talks card at this time? I guess Pyongyang may be trying to dilute the objective of the six-party talks. North Korea's proposal to discuss a peace treaty can only be interpreted as a strategy not to get rid of its nuclear weapons program or to delay the process.

It would be very clear that what their puopose is when we come to think of the fact that North Korea is unrelenting in its demand that a peace treaty must be signed before it can scrap its nuclear weapons, signaling a long and tough road ahead for negotiations. The North also demanded that unfavorable treatment and distrust in the form of sanctions need to be ended before the six-party talks resume.

The U.S. government is unlikely to permit its arm to be twisted as it is wary of repeating the mistakes of past U.S. governments, which ended sanctions against North Korea each time the country returned to the six-party talks.

Will N.Korea be successful? What's your opinion about that?

They're just doing there normal song and dance to get everyone off their backs for a while. This is what they always do. If they want to make nuclear weapons, they're going to make them, given the ability. This is just holding people off from attacking or imposing further sanctions upon them. Just my opinion.

Moderator's Warning:
This thread was posted with an "R.I.P." tag, which is unsuitable for this type of thread. It was removed. Please do not do this again. "R.I.P." is reserved for threads about the demise of public figures, where the thread is intended as a respectful discussion of same. Political topics do not qualify for this prefix.

Back
Top Bottom