• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

N.J. legal weed bills advance after weeks of controversy. Final votes set for Thursday.

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Landmark marijuana legislation that would set the rules for the sale of legal weed could get final approval later this week after lawmakers advanced an amended version of the lengthy bill Monday afternoon.

At least they didn't kill it. The state needs the tax $$$.

I'm only less than hour's drive from NJ & hope it passes. I'm interested in sources of decent edibles.

Dems really should make marijuana legalization a central issue. That’s where Joe’s age shows: he probably still thinks of it as “reefer”.

Dems really should make marijuana legalization a central issue. That’s where Joe’s age shows: he probably still thinks of it as “reefer”.
i believe if hillary had been bold enough to run with this campaign issue in 2016 the young people would have shown up to vote

They can't kill it. It won 67% of the vote as a ballot initiative.

However, according to some reports, it will be 18 months (!) before dispensaries and growers can apply for licenses.

Landmark marijuana legislation that would set the rules for the sale of legal weed could get final approval later this week after lawmakers advanced an amended version of the lengthy bill Monday afternoon.

I'm only less than hour's drive from NJ & hope it passes. I'm interested in sources of decent edibles.

The state needs the tax $$$.

Do you ever ask yourself to why they need the money?

i believe if hillary had been bold enough to run with this campaign issue in 2016 the young people would have shown up to vote

No... it was "Bernie or Bust"!(LOL)

I haven't seen their projected state budget but I would guess things like roads & schools.

They can't kill it. It won 67% of the vote as a ballot initiative.

However, according to some reports, it will be 18 months (!) before dispensaries and growers can apply for licenses.

Its crazy that it will take that long.

You mean, besides a pandemic trashing tax revenues?

It's because New Jersey residents want government services... and someone has to pay for them. (NJ, like almost every other state, has very strict limits on borrowing.) That includes, by the way, a lot of spending on education, which puts NJ at #3 in the US.

Its crazy that it will take that long.
I'm not sure about that, seems fairly typical. It takes time to nail down the details, figure out who's going to regulate it, where the first dispensaries will be stationed, and so forth.

I'm not sure about that, seems fairly typical. It takes time to nail down the details, figure out who's going to regulate it, where the first dispensaries will be stationed, and so forth.

Seems like if they followed states that had already legalized it, it could happen sooner. 18 mo doesn't sound too bad for implementation, but that long to even apply for licenses seems really long.

It's because New Jersey residents want government services... and someone has to pay for them. (NJ, like almost every other state, has very strict limits on borrowing.) That includes, by the way, a lot of spending on education, which puts NJ at #3 in the US.

Oh not at all. The "pandemic" is relatively a NEW phenomenon
It's because New Jersey residents want government services... and someone has to pay for them

Somehow you haven't got the memo that people have been fleeing the state of NJ for years? It's been at the top of states where people flee

Yep

by the way, a lot of spending on education, which puts NJ at #3 in the US.

Oh yes, "Education" which is subjective(wink)

I haven't seen their projected state budget but I would guess things like roads & schools.

So in other words, they're not getting it done now and are going to be dependent on weed revenue?

Nice job

So in other words, they're not getting it done now and are going to be dependent on weed revenue?

Nice job

I did not say that as I have no idea.

I hope it passes too, this should have been done decades ago, IMO. My state has legalized it for recreation and medical, very successful. It should be legalized in all states and federally.

Seems like if they followed states that had already legalized it, it could happen sooner. 18 mo doesn't sound too bad for implementation, but that long to even apply for licenses seems really long.
Illinois passed recreational cannabis in May, and it was available in January.
But then, we had medical dispensaries set up already.

Oh not at all. The "pandemic" is relatively a NEW phenomenon
Yeah... that's... not actually a refutation.

Y'know what? This thread is about cannabis legalization. If you want to dump your flawed understanding of fiscal policy on the board, do it somewhere else.

Illinois passed recreational cannabis in May, and it was available in January.
But then, we had medical dispensaries set up already.

I think it took a while in CO, though I don't recall just how long (it seems like we've had it forever, now). But we were the 1st (along with WA) so taking some time would have been expected.

Back
Top Bottom