• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

N.C. gunman shot after wounding 4 at law firm, Walmart

I was unaware that that police are in the habit of waging wars and no the war on drugs doesn't count. Did your local precinct deploy to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom? How about Iraq? How did your neighborhood cope without any police while the precinct was deployed? Police jargon has the term civilian to mean non-police. So, in that instance, even folks in the military can be civilians! Don't confuse jargon with legal meaning, the 4th Geneva Convention has already spoken. Cops are civilians.

The Geneva Conventions is not a dictionary

Cops are not civilians

Sangha is not human. Makes about as much sense.
Sangha is just happy the gunman took Biden’s advice and swapped out his AR-15 for a shotgun.

Way to go, Biden.

Sangha is just happy the gunman took Biden’s advice and swapped out his AR-15 for a shotgun.

Way to go, Biden.

No, but I would have been happy if the gunman surrendered as easily as you just did

The Geneva Conventions is not a dictionary.
Yes, that is a true statement, the Geneva Conventions is not a dictionary. The Geneva convention is a treaty, which according to the Constitution is therefore the law of the land. Dictionaries are not.

I don't care who is a civilian and who is not. If some mad bastard is shooting at people in my immediate vicinity, I want the additional options that come with being armed. There is a big difference between a simple target and a target that shoots back. I'll do all I can not to be either, but if I must be one or the other, I'd like the option to decide for myself.

Then what are cops? They aren't soldiers and they are not civilians according to you. So are they in a class all on their own?
The only remaining classification is Enemy Combatant.

A man with a shotgun wounded one person outside a Greenville, N.C., law firm on Friday before crossing a busy street and shooting three more people in a Walmart parking lot, police and witnesses said.

Greenville Police Chief Hassan Aden said officers shot and wounded the suspect just before noon at an entrance to the store. A witness told The Daily Reflector that the suspect, a white man in his 60s, was shot in the face.

All were expected to survive, Aden said at a 3 p.m. news briefing.
Good, **** him.

So what do the gun hating and Walmart hating folks do with this story?

I'm more pleasantly concerned with the fact that the police are stepping up their game to stop crap like this. Good for them; they did a good job, and they should be proud.

Did you bother to find out if either location had gun-buster signs posted? Because gun-buster signs have force-of-law in NC. You can't fault gun ownership if the public was prevented from having a gun at those locations.

i notice how it is the same people every time around here who come up with this distorted logic. However, with the large number of gun owners in the US it seems we always have to wait for the police to actually do something. I am pretty sure lots of crimes happen outside of gun buster areas, and many of those crimes also happen in areas legal to carry, yet we have to wait around for the police when we have all these gun owners out there claiming to be great heroes saving us all from crime. Seems to me that the police actually do that job, while gun owners run for the hills like everyone else. Even in most cases where we hear of a gun owner actually stopping a criminal it is often in their own home when they were in trouble. I am not saying gun owners should have to save people because i know a person who fearsd walking around without being more armed than the people around them certainly is not going to engage an equally armed person if flight is an option. However, it would be nice if we all did not have to hear how heroic gun owners are and how they are thwarting crime when they are less likely to be there for you than the police. It just seems like an obvious point that crime would not be stopped if there were a lot more gun owners. You would just be more likely to get pissed because a person who might have been able to help you with their firearm runs away like everyone else. It would be nice if the rhetoric wasn't contradicted by the reality that gun owners run away like everyone else, and fleeing in a panic is not a terribly good deterrent to crime.

Unsubstantiated hyperbole and assumptions. As usual.

Yeah, it is pretty normal for the gun posse to do. It does seem a little odd how the same people every time use the same excuse, but yet there are little to no other people who ever say what you are saying. One might get the idea it is a very small number of loud people who feel this way considering the statistics on responses to gun threads. But feel free to prove me wrong with some of those statistics you are implying exist that support your opinion that you never use. I would love to see an actual comparison of crimes stopped by gun owning civilians compared to non gun owners, and also police. feel free to prove me wrong with some stats and facts at any point in time.

Yeah, it is pretty normal for the gun posse to do. It does seem a little odd how the same people every time use the same excuse, but yet there are little to no other people who ever say what you are saying. One might get the idea it is a very small number of loud people who feel this way considering the statistics on responses to gun threads. But feel free to prove me wrong with some of those statistics you are implying exist that support your opinion that you never use. I would love to see an actual comparison of crimes stopped by gun owning civilians compared to non gun owners, and also police. feel free to prove me wrong with some stats and facts at any point in time.

The grabbers have made an environment where legal gun ownership (and, god forbid, legal use) can STILL lead to a great hassle or even incarceration of a law-abiding citizen. For example, a buddy of mine got mugged at a gas station in Flint, Michigan a couple winters back. He has his CPL, and when the young man accosted him near the outside bathrooms and put a knife in his face, demanding his wallet, he reached back and instead pulled out an XDM .45. The other young man coming up behind him (also armed with a knife) immediately dropped his knife and ran. The first kid put his knife on the ground and backed away slowly before running off in the other direction. I ask my friend, "What did the cops say when they got there"? He said, "Cops? I didn't call the cops. They would have kept me waiting here an hour, badgered me for another hour when they got there, and possibly started an investigation and taken my gun in the meantime to find out if I had "assaulted" the guys or not. Plus, I don't know if Flint has any city-specific ordinances about concealed carry (neither of us are from there), or if this particular gas station is a gun free zone (letting the owner/operator press charges against him for trespassing well after the fact). So I just didn't call them."

Do you think his story is unique?

The grabbers have made an environment where legal gun ownership (and, god forbid, legal use) can STILL lead to a great hassle or even incarceration of a law-abiding citizen. For example, a buddy of mine got mugged at a gas station in Flint, Michigan a couple winters back. He has his CPL, and when the young man accosted him near the outside bathrooms and put a knife in his face, demanding his wallet, he reached back and instead pulled out an XDM .45. The other young man coming up behind him (also armed with a knife) immediately dropped his knife and ran. The first kid put his knife on the ground and backed away slowly before running off in the other direction. I ask my friend, "What did the cops say when they got there"? He said, "Cops? I didn't call the cops. They would have kept me waiting here an hour, badgered me for another hour when they got there, and possibly started an investigation and taken my gun in the meantime to find out if I had "assaulted" the guys or not. Plus, I don't know if Flint has any city-specific ordinances about concealed carry (neither of us are from there), or if this particular gas station is a gun free zone (letting the owner/operator press charges against him for trespassing well after the fact). So I just didn't call them."

Do you think his story is unique?

So your evidence is an unsubstantiated hero story by a supposed gun hero who did not actually save anyone but his own ass which actually corresponds to my point. Even if this is true it does not even show that gun owners make a difference in anyone else's lives so the claim that they actually do something even close to law enforcement is still unchallenged. At least the story is convenient in the fact some guy on the internet is claiming something that has no proof aside from the claims some guy told him in some conversation. I suppose your claims must be true because it is written on the internet by someone who admittedly never even saw the event. I remember this one time I was listening to this girl tell me about this time at band camp where she totally stuck a flute in a bodily opening it probably did not belong. Clearly now it must be true because i totally wrote it on the internet.

i notice how it is the same people every time around here who come up with this distorted logic. However, with the large number of gun owners in the US it seems we always have to wait for the police to actually do something. I am pretty sure lots of crimes happen outside of gun buster areas, and many of those crimes also happen in areas legal to carry, yet we have to wait around for the police when we have all these gun owners out there claiming to be great heroes saving us all from crime. Seems to me that the police actually do that job, while gun owners run for the hills like everyone else. Even in most cases where we hear of a gun owner actually stopping a criminal it is often in their own home when they were in trouble. I am not saying gun owners should have to save people because i know a person who fearsd walking around without being more armed than the people around them certainly is not going to engage an equally armed person if flight is an option. However, it would be nice if we all did not have to hear how heroic gun owners are and how they are thwarting crime when they are less likely to be there for you than the police. It just seems like an obvious point that crime would not be stopped if there were a lot more gun owners. You would just be more likely to get pissed because a person who might have been able to help you with their firearm runs away like everyone else. It would be nice if the rhetoric wasn't contradicted by the reality that gun owners run away like everyone else, and fleeing in a panic is not a terribly good deterrent to crime.
The public isn't required to carry a gun whenever outside of a gun-buster area, so if a crime happens to someone who chose not to carry a gun, that's not a fault of pro-gun. Nationally it's only a small number of people who choose to carry a gun. If someone chooses not to carry a gun, that's their business; if a gay couple choose not to marry, that's their business; if a woman chooses not to have an abortion, that's her business: but they should all have the choice.

You have no data on any claim that "we always have to wait around for police".

Ahh, when the cop responded to the call he engaged in a national discussion and took polling data to find out why he (the cop) was at fault for this shooting and what he could do better in the future, and then went home.

Actually, I think the cop should be afraid for his job, because he used excessive force.

Mental health issues, intentions, the kind of things you can get from a living person.

Don't really care why he did those things.Those things do not negate what he did and they are not going to help us from preventing or stopping another similar shooting.

Last edited:
Sometimes we learn more from a raving lunitic then the corpse of one.

We certainly learn the cost of patching them up, trying them and caring for them until they eventually die. What exactly have we learned from that mass murdering moron in Aurora, CO?

So your evidence is an unsubstantiated hero story by a supposed gun hero who did not actually save anyone but his own ass which actually corresponds to my point. Even if this is true it does not even show that gun owners make a difference in anyone else's lives so the claim that they actually do something even close to law enforcement is still unchallenged. At least the story is convenient in the fact some guy on the internet is claiming something that has no proof aside from the claims some guy told him in some conversation. I suppose your claims must be true because it is written on the internet by someone who admittedly never even saw the event. I remember this one time I was listening to this girl tell me about this time at band camp where she totally stuck a flute in a bodily opening it probably did not belong. Clearly now it must be true because i totally wrote it on the internet.

For those people that were shot... how many were armed?

Is law enforcement a class in its own right?
The Geneva conventions did not make a "law enforcement officer" classification. You are either a civilian, and enemy combatant, or a member of a country's military. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom