• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mystery of the moving Egyptian statue

If we had the ability to record the audio, we would clearly hear the statue asking the other statues, "Does this skirt make me look fat?"
There was a mummy a few years back in the British Museum which actually sat up, smashing the glass case it was displayed in..and causing several people in there to run for the hills..

Apparently, the humidity in the glass case was wrong and the mummy was drying out!!

probably vibrations making it move. In the time lapse video, it only appeared to move during the day when visitors were walking past.

If we had the ability to record the audio, we would clearly hear the statue asking the other statues, "Does this skirt make me look fat?"

LOL! :lamo:

So far, this bodes to be a great day! :thumbs:

There was a mummy a few years back in the British Museum which actually sat up, smashing the glass case it was displayed in..and causing several people in there to run for the hills..

Apparently, the humidity in the glass case was wrong and the mummy was drying out!!
There's usually an explanation that doesn't approach the fantastic. I didn't know a mummy could dry out. I thought they already were dried out. Anyway, I think I hate dried mummy.

There's usually an explanation that doesn't approach the fantastic. I didn't know a mummy could dry out. I thought they already were dried out. Anyway, I think I hate dried mummy.

Could have got it wrong..maybe they humidified it too much?

We also had a spate of statues of the elephant-headed god Ganesh drinking milk..

That's impossible..

No amount of moisture will make a mummy "break glass."

It sounds like there was a pressure problem within the display...

That's impossible..

I'm not sure what it takes to piss a mummy off like that.

I think it would be easy to test the theory of vibration from foot traffic. Put a small rubber sheet underneath the statue and see if it still moves. That would have been the first thing I would have tried before making all the hoopla about it. You think they would have something underneath the statues to protect the glass shelves from getting scratched in the first place.

I think it would be easy to test the theory of vibration from foot traffic. Put a small rubber sheet underneath the statue and see if it still moves. That would have been the first thing I would have tried before making all the hoopla about it. You think they would have something underneath the statues to protect the glass shelves from getting scratched in the first place.

But experimentation is dull and boring, and merely leads to facts. Hoopla is a lot more fun.

The article said that the museum has had the statue since 1933 and that it has been "reassuringly immobile for most of that time."

Maybe the building's foundation has shifted, causing visitors' footsteps to create vibrations?

My vote's for "hoopla" and booga-booga, though. ;)

That's impossible..

If mummy's not happy, no one's happy.

Well - I see several reasons why only that statue would be shifting. . . logical reasons.

#1) material - it's a different substance.
#2) Obviously it's been handled more - how many times do they move it to reposition it? Do they move the others just as much?
#3) Composition/balance of the statue - it's the only one standing, the others are carved in a seated position. The standing form puts a humanoid figure with its center balance exactly through the standing center - aka - providing an anchor point. Just like pivoting on your heel when you turn.
#4) Carved by human hands, and it's on a flat, glass surface. Just how flat is the bottom of the statue?
#5) All of these things put together - plus a slim pocket/layer of air or moisture underneath from being constantly handled, an uneven base, and a center balance and you have yourself a recipe for shift when the conditions are right.

#6) Apparently conditions are right when the lights are on - the air/moisture expands in the added warmth and/or added air that's pumped into the room - things shift with the aid of vibration.

Put fabric underneath - problem solved.

I use to get a kick, when I was a child, out of empty soda cans on my coffee table. When the ceiling fan was on they would 'dance' around on the slight bit of moisture underneath.

Hey dumb dumb me want gum gum.

There was divine intervention moving the statue. The Egyptian version of Muhammad ascending into heaven on a winged horse, or Jesus walking on water.

You can't prove that I'm wrong!

There was divine intervention moving the statue. The Egyptian version of Muhammad ascending into heaven on a winged horse, or Jesus walking on water.

You can't prove that I'm wrong!

Well damnit, that's true - must be god. Somehow he favors that one little statuette.

That's AWESOME!! Funniest image I've had in a long time.

As far as the OP, I, too, am voting for the booga booga. I will always vote on the side of booga booga.

That's AWESOME!! Funniest image I've had in a long time.

As far as the OP, I, too, am voting for the booga booga. I will always vote on the side of booga booga.

hehe "Oh great and mighty Booga Booga!"

Back
Top Bottom