• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My wish for 2020, what is yours?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What i wish is that the Dems take the White house and maintains control of the House but McConnell and the GOP maintain control of the Senate. It never works out well when one party controls all three as we have seen each time one party or the other has done so. What is your wish?

What i wish is that the Dems take the White house and maintains control of the House but McConnell and the GOP maintain control of the Senate. It never works out well when one party controls all three as we have seen each time one party or the other has done so. What is your wish?
A divided government works best for everyone. The Dems retaking Congress goes a long towards restoring equilibrium. As for McConnell continuing as Senate Majority Leader, no. I’m not sure who’s best to replace him, but he has burnt all bridges to compromise as far as I’m concerned.

My wish for 2020 is that the McRib becomes a permanent food item on McDonalds menu and not just a seasonal thing.

My wish every election is that we'll end up with an entire government totally focused on what's best for the people instead of what's best for the people/corporations with the most money. I never get my wish, though i saw some improvement when Trump was elected President in 2016. I guess the best I can hope for is that he remains President.

I see nothing that gives me confidence that the rest of the government will improve.

Ocasio-Cortez is elected president, the inevitable chaos ensues and liberals are finally outed for the dumbasses they are.

Then after the lolly pops and unicorns delusion, we let the grownups who understand realty get back to business.

Ocasio-Cortez is elected president, the inevitable chaos ensues and liberals are finally outed for the dumbasses they are.

Then after the lolly pops and unicorns delusion, we let the grownups who understand realty get back to business.

Huh. Since she's not yet 35, she can't run.

My wish is that frothy, YeeHaw conservatives would finally learn civics.

I want Dems to have full control for at least two years to undo the Trump damage (whatever can be undone, some things can't) and importantly protect country from such damage in future. Look at their anti-corruption HR1 bill in the house! Republican Senate could easily block it; something I am sure they will do.

It has things like no more gerrymandering, disclosure of donors to super PACs, much better tracking of political purchased ads, improved security for voting, code of ethics for Supreme Court, and many other anti-corruption improvements.

That's fine with me. With both chambers of congress, those members of the House and Senate which are of the same party as the president, act, think as they are part of the administration instead of the institution of congress. Only when one party controlling either the house or the senate that isn't of the same party as the president do we have any real and meaningful checks and balances.

I'm with you on this one.

My wish every election is that we'll end up with an entire government totally focused on what's best for the people instead of what's best for the people/corporations with the most money. I never get my wish, though i saw some improvement when Trump was elected President in 2016. I guess the best I can hope for is that he remains President.I see nothing that gives me confidence that the rest of the government will improve.

Democrats appear to have answered your dream. Democratic HR1 gets us closer, why not support it. Let me guess.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/05/6822...ce-anti-corruption-bill-as-symbolic-first-act
Voting and election laws

Voter registration would be made easier. Citizens could register online or get registered automatically, via data from driver's licenses or other government sources. For federal elections, states would have to provide same-day registration and at least 15 days of early voting. Election Day would be a federal holiday.
The bill would crack down on efforts to take voters off the rolls or prevent them from casting ballots. Felons could regain their voting rights after finishing their sentences.
Federal elections would require paper ballots to prevent computer tampering. State chief election officials couldn't get involved in federal campaigns.
The bill would declare an intent to revive core anti-discrimination provisions of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 that were effectively shut down by the Supreme Court six years ago. It would also state that failing to vote isn't grounds for taking away a person's voter registration.

Democrats Say Their First Bill Will Focus On Strengthening Democracy At Home
Politics
Democrats Say Their First Bill Will Focus On Strengthening Democracy At Home

Campaign finance

Provisions from the Disclose Act would expand the prohibition on foreign political money and mandate the disclosure of the big donors behind politically active 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations.
Digital companies, like Facebook and Google, would have to set up public databases cataloging political ad purchase requests of $500 or more and create new measures to block ad buys by foreign nationals.
Presidential inaugural committees would have to disclose expenditures, in addition to the existing requirement for donor disclosure. This is a response to reports of unexplained spending by Trump's inaugural committee.
A new matching-fund program would support House candidates who agree to raise only small-dollar contributions. (Similar provisions for Senate candidates would have to come from the Senate.) The public financing system for presidential candidates, largely irrelevant since 2012, would be updated.
The bill would quash "sidecar" superPACs that support individual candidates.

Ethics

Presidents and vice presidents would have to release their tax returns, something that happened routinely in past administrations but not in this one.
Presidents-elect would need ethics plans for their transition teams and would have to file financial disclosures within 30 days of taking office. The bill would tell presidents and vice presidents they should act as if they are covered by the conflict-of-interest law, which actually exempts them. Again, this wasn't an issue in previous administrations because past presidents did not have the volume of business entanglements that Trump has.
House members would be barred from serving on corporate boards. Rep. Chris Collins, R-N.Y., is under indictment for allegedly using inside information he gained as a corporate board member.
House members would be forbidden to use taxpayer money to pay penalties for employment discrimination. Former Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Texas, used $84,000 in federal funds to settle a sexual harassment claim by a former staffer, said he would repay it, but changed his mind after leaving office. Congress passed a bipartisan measure in December requiring members to pay out of their own pocket for some settlements and court judgments in sexual misconduct cases.
The Supreme Court would have to get a code of ethics, something it has never had.
The laws regulating foreign and domestic lobbying would be expanded.

Huh. Since she's not yet 35, she can't run.

My wish is that frothy, YeeHaw conservatives would finally learn civics.

I'll try to clarify.

Hyperbole - exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

My wish for 2020 is that the McRib becomes a permanent food item on McDonalds menu and not just a seasonal thing.
It's long overdue

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Democrats appear to have answered your dream. Democratic HR1 gets us closer, why not support it. Let me guess.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/05/6822...ce-anti-corruption-bill-as-symbolic-first-act

That's the problem with Congress: They have to toss everything...including the kitchen sink...into a bill. It screws up the whole thing.

I'll support a law that just says this:

"Campaign finance

Provisions from the Disclose Act would expand the prohibition on foreign political money and mandate the disclosure of the big donors behind politically active 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations.
Digital companies, like Facebook and Google, would have to set up public databases cataloging political ad purchase requests of $500 or more and create new measures to block ad buys by foreign nationals."

Even that isn't going far enough, though. Extend the disclosure requirements to ALL politicians and their PACs...not just 501(c)(4)'s.

But what would be even better is if the politicians, themselves, just told those big money donors to go **** themselves.

My wish every election is that we'll end up with an entire government totally focused on what's best for the people instead of what's best for the people/corporations with the most money. I never get my wish, though i saw some improvement when Trump was elected President in 2016. I guess the best I can hope for is that he remains President.

I see nothing that gives me confidence that the rest of the government will improve.

That'll never happen. Both major parties owe their hearts and souls to corporations, wall street firms, lobbyists, special interests, mega, huge money donors etc. That's where they get their tens of millions of dollars to run their campaigns and sustain their operations.

Any member of the two major parties that bad mouth any of the above I mentioned, do so with a wink and a nod, letting those corporations, wall street firms, lobbyists etc. know it is for the voters consumption. Neither will ever bit the hand that feeds them.

That'll never happen. Both major parties owe their hearts and souls to corporations, wall street firms, lobbyists, special interests, mega, huge money donors etc. That's where they get their tens of millions of dollars to run their campaigns and sustain their operations.

Any member of the two major parties that bad mouth any of the above I mentioned, do so with a wink and a nod, letting those corporations, wall street firms, lobbyists etc. know it is for the voters consumption. Neither will ever bit the hand that feeds them.

Yep, we are now asked to accept a moronic argument over whether or not to add 220 miles of additional physical barries on the border as having our elected leaders 'dealing with the illegal immigration issue'. Everyone knows (or at least should know) that adding 20% more miles of physical barriers on the border (over the next 2 years or so) will make absolutely no difference - we will still have 12M (20M?) illegal immigrants inside the country and more arriving every month to be 'caught', counted and released. MAGA indeed.

I would like Trump to lose the primaries to a candidate I can get behind. I'll take Kasich or Huntsman, please.

I prefer that the dems take a simple majority in the Senate and the White House but not a supermajority. Republicans will continue to be able to muster the votes to oppose cloture. Your check exists but should it be abused …. the nucleur option does as well

Mitch McConnell in control of the senate has done more harm than any other single individual in congress in our lifetimes.

And shamrock shakes.

Definitely not for me, I got creative one year and added alcohol to that shake. Not fun to "leggo your eggo" with that shake lol.

Yep, we are now asked to accept a moronic argument over whether or not to add 220 miles of additional physical barries on the border as having our elected leaders 'dealing with the illegal immigration issue'. Everyone knows (or at least should know) that adding 20% more miles of physical barriers on the border (over the next 2 years or so) will make absolutely no difference - we will still have 12M (20M?) illegal immigrants inside the country and more arriving every month to be 'caught', counted and released. MAGA indeed.

Immigration will never be solved, it is too important of an campaign issue. Lip service is all we get. Any issue that can fire up one's base, get them out to the ballot box isn't a priority to be solved. Gun control is another one of those issues. Add the deficits and national debt also. Only the party out of power cares about the debt, a good campaign issue.

How about my wish for 2019?

I wish for Mueller's report to contain solid proof of what many of us already suspect: that Donald J. Trump has been laundering money through various worldwide real estate deals for several Russian oligarchs for years.

I wish for the evidence against Trump's actions that are due to whatever it is Putin has on him, to be as solid as the Rock of Ages.

I wish for the evidence on his obstruction of justice, witness tampering, and any other cover-up activies to be incontrovertible.

I wish for solid proof that Trump was fully aware that Russia was working to bolster his chances of getting elected.

I wish for all of that to be solid enough that even the most die-hard Trumptards will stop defending him, and we wouldn't need to keep supplying them with reports of evidence that we know they won't bother to read.

I wish to see Trump and all of his associates, including his favorite children, Junior and Ivanka (oh, yeah, she's dirty, too), and Jared Kushner, all in orange jumpsuits.

It's a pipe dream, because nobody skates through his own bad actions as well as Trump, but that is my wish.

:yt

Last edited:
That's the problem with Congress: They have to toss everything...including the kitchen sink...into a bill. It screws up the whole thing.

I'll support a law that just says this:

"Campaign finance

Digital companies, like Facebook and Google, would have to set up public databases cataloging political ad purchase requests of $500 or more and create new measures to block ad buys by foreign nationals."

Even that isn't going far enough, though. Extend the disclosure requirements to ALL politicians and their PACs...not just 501(c)(4)'s.

But what would be even better is if the politicians, themselves, just told those big money donors to go **** themselves.

I like it, but would add the repeal of the Citizens United decision.

Immigration will never be solved, it is too important of an campaign issue. Lip service is all we get. Any issue that can fire up one's base, get them out to the ballot box isn't a priority to be solved. Gun control is another one of those issues. Add the deficits and national debt also. Only the party out of power cares about the debt, a good campaign issue.

Yep, we kid ourselves into thinking that having the party for a bigger federal government or having the party for a huge federal government gain a temporary majority in DC is going to significantly change things. Meanwhile, congress critters have not managed to pass the federal 'budget' bills on time since 1997 and the annual federal deficit hovers around $1T.

Back
Top Bottom