• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"My Vegan Diet Almost Killed Me!"

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
My vegan diet almost killed me | New York Post

wmzv8Ht.jpg

Younger’s turning point came in June 2014, exactly a year after she founded her blog, when she confided in a friend about her lack of menstruation — a condition medically known as amenorrhea — for at least six months.

The pal, who had also suffered from orthorexia, recommended she introduce fish into her diet. Soon afterward, Younger forced herself to eat a small portion of wild salmon — and, within a week, her period was restored.

“It showed me how my body was dying to get back on track,” she says, adding that she instantly started to feel more energetic.

A dietician confirmed that fish and eggs would boost her poor nutrient levels. Refusing to lie to her fans, Younger announced on her blog that same month that she was “transitioning away from veganism.”

That’s when all hell broke loose. Her site crashed within two minutes and 1,000 followers instantly ditched her. Worse, she received anonymous death threats from hard-core vegans claiming she condoned the slaughter of animals and that neither she nor her family had the right to live.

“It was shocking,” recalls Younger, who moved from New York back to Los Angeles around the time of the fallout. “It made me realize how elitist some of the people within that [vegan] world could be.”

Sixteen months after her change of heart, she’s had the last laugh. She’s still supporting herself by blogging, and her musings often log 350,000 page views, matching the amount that she got from the vegan blog. Her Instagram followers have doubled to 121,000.Others, however, were supportive and fully backed her when, two months later, she relaunched her blog as “The Balanced Blonde,” which now features a wider-ranging choice of tips and recipes.

Thank goodness she finally saw reason and got away from that horrible, unhealthy diet. So many kids have died when their parents forced them into veganism. There's no doubt in my mind that veganism is an eating disorder.

wmzv8Ht.jpg

Thank goodness she finally saw reason and got away from that horrible, unhealthy diet. So many kids have died when their parents forced them into veganism. There's no doubt in my mind that veganism is an eating disorder.

Yeah, it's a very unhealthy lifestyle. It's really sad when people force it on their kids.

wmzv8Ht.jpg

It's incredibly difficult to be a strict vegan and still get the proper balance of nutrients, regardless of your gender or age.

However, once you add dairy products and eggs, most people can do very well without animal meat.

Vegan ≠ orthorexia nervosa

It depends on how you do it. You can be vegan and live a perfectly healthy life.

It's incredibly difficult to be a strict vegan and still get the proper balance of nutrients, regardless of your gender or age.

However, once you add dairy products and eggs, most people can do very well without animal meat.

Well eating dairy and eggs will disgust most vegetarians though since they consider the latter as meat. ;)

The fact that her body functions went back to normal after she veered away from her vegan diet means... it was her diet.

It depends on how you do it. You can be vegan and live a perfectly healthy life.

Perhaps, but most people cant keep up. Its got an 84% recidivism rate and its not healthy for children- which only proves that its generally not healthy at all.

The fact that her body functions went back to normal after she veered away from her vegan diet means... it was her diet.

Well I better hope those 7-10million vegans who include my long term girlfriend and also my aunt and uncle dont suddenly become orthorexia nervosa's... Oh wait, they are both long term vegans and have no symptoms.. But none the less, **** vegans!

Well I better hope those 7-10million vegans who include my long term girlfriend and also my aunt and uncle dont suddenly become orthorexia nervosa's... Oh wait, they are both long term vegans and have no symptoms.. But none the less, **** vegans!

7-10 million vegans? I find that hard to believe since they are a fringe, extremist movement. Where did you get that number from?

I was wondering where she lived, and of course it's a huge city like NYC.

The reason why I mention this is because veganism is a product of privilege. You claim you're sparing the environment because you don't do animal products that are tied to environmental destruction, yet you're eating exotic foods and supplements shipped in from all over the world. The world is on fire so you can eat avocados and cacao nibs shipped from Africa and Mexico, FFS.

Except the really crazy ones who are eating cold salads in the middle of the freezing winter, most live in warmer regions, like California... where of course you can get away with eating more raw greens year round because there's less calorie burden. I'll go vegan for a few weeks in the spring or summer to give my body a break and cleanse a bit, but in the middle of winter? Are you kidding me?

I don't think I've ever met a long-term vegan who didn't look like death, who wasn't totally wealthy. Vegetarians yes. Vegans? No.

the OP is a pathetic troll, using an anorexic as an example of a vegan.

I was wondering where she lived, and of course it's a huge city like NYC.

The reason why I mention this is because veganism is a product of privilege. You claim you're sparing the environment because you don't do animal products that are tied to environmental destruction, yet you're eating exotic foods and supplements shipped in from all over the world. The world is on fire so you can eat avocados and cacao nibs shipped from Africa and Mexico, FFS.

Except the really crazy ones who are eating cold salads in the middle of the freezing winter, most live in warmer regions, like California... where of course you can get away with eating more raw greens year round because there's less calorie burden. I'll go vegan for a few weeks in the spring or summer to give my body a break and cleanse a bit, but in the middle of winter? Are you kidding me?

I don't think I've ever met a long-term vegan who didn't look like death, who wasn't totally wealthy. Vegetarians yes. Vegans? No.

you'll eat your crappy factory farmed meat and you'll LIKE it.

otherwise you're a privileged rich person

dumb

the OP is a pathetic troll, using an anorexic as an example of a vegan.

Your usual ad homs aside, the problem was obviously her vegan diet since her health went back to normal the moment she started eating meat and dairy again. So another wrong statement coming from you- which isnt surprising.

the problem was obviously her vegan diet since her health went back to normal the moment she started eating meat and dairy again.
The problem was her diet, not vegan diets in general. I’m sure there are lots of people eating omnivorous diets which are generally harmful to their health and could be significantly improved by replacing the meat with a healthier equivalent. That doesn’t make being an omnivore or eating meat fundamentally unhealthy though. A good healthy diet is defined by a whole range of things but the simple inclusion or exclusion of meat or animal products isn’t one of them.

Your usual ad homs aside, the problem was obviously her vegan diet since her health went back to normal the moment she started eating meat and dairy again. So another wrong statement coming from you- which isnt surprising.

her vegan diet has nothing to do with a healthy vegan diet. dumb.

the part about you whining about "ad hom" is rich considering your posts to my thread topics.

Yeah, it's a very unhealthy lifestyle. It's really sad when people force it on their kids.

She is a self absorbed person with an eating disorder. The vegan diet was by her own choosing. No one FORCED the woman to do anything.
Like vegan or not, that is everyone's choice.
Please read this
Younger became vegan in her final year of college, not because of ethical reasons to protect animals, but after experiencing undiagnosed abdominal issues.

“In the beginning, it was very cleansing and detoxing, and I had this rush of adrenaline and energy because my stomach problems seemed to be resolved,” she says. Then she found that the natural high she’d been getting was replaced by feelings of fatigue. Her bloating and constipation issues returned, but she continued to follow the strict vegan regimen, religiously posting about it online in the blog she launched in 2013, one month after she graduated.

As the months went on, she was in a Catch-22: Her public profile hinged on her vegan identity, yet her choices were damaging her body. Often she felt so weak, she had to work on her laptop computer from bed. Taking one yoga class would leave her drained for the whole day.

The problem was her diet, not vegan diets in general. I’m sure there are lots of people eating omnivorous diets which are generally harmful to their health and could be significantly improved by replacing the meat with a healthier equivalent. That doesn’t make being an omnivore or eating meat fundamentally unhealthy though. A good healthy diet is defined by a whole range of things but the simple inclusion or exclusion of meat or animal products isn’t one of them.

Yeah - the body needs fats and oils to maintain healthy menstrual cycles which is why, when she ate fish, it instantly came back around. It's a fail-safe and natural mechanism which prevents an unhealthy woman from conceiving a child her body cannot sustain. Sometimes over-exercising can cause it, too. Odds are, she wasn't eating any source of real notable fat - like no nuts and things of that nature.

Sure - if you eat strictly lettuce and tomato you're going to suffer from a lot of deprivation. And in the US, most people who are uneducated about such diets in general don't know how to actually handle things like a rutabaga or mushrooms.

B12, which is the main thing only meat can provide naturally, wouldn't put you into amenorrhea. I don't think it was a vegan thing, but that she ate like a ****ing bird - like an anorexic.

the part about you whining about "ad hom" is rich considering your posts to my thread topics.

If you read the article it said she was maintaining a strict vegan diet- so the only way there is such a thing as a healthy vegan diet means one would be eating meat with veggies in order to get vitamin B12.

So youre right, veganism is dumb.

As far as ad homs, looks like youre the only one who does it since youre the one who is getting suspend while the others who debate you dont.

It wasn't the diet , it's trying to be PC that kills !

Vegan = PC

She is a self absorbed person with an eating disorder. The vegan diet was by her own choosing. No one FORCED the woman to do anything.
Like vegan or not, that is everyone's choice.
Please read this

I was making a general comment. I'm aware that she wasn't forced.

Many people can't, actually. Or at least not as healthy as they could be on some other diet.

It really depends, and in many cases the people it works somewhat healthfully for tend to have a combination of things: a particular type of gut, a huge amount of non-food supplementation, a ton of money, and a ton of time.

Vegans have higher mortality rates than white meat/fish-only eaters and vegetarians, which indicates that they are clearly not more healthy. Pescetarians and ovo-lacto-vegetarians have the lowest mortality, actually.

Children will often have stunted growth on a vegan diet -- some even die, if they're especially young. Even vegetarianism is high-risk for children, although it can be done reasonably well if you're very careful. Pescetarianism is much safer though.

There are deficiencies of fatty substances in the vegan diet that are not easily made up for by supplementation, because the body is inefficient with non-food sources. This isn't catastrophic for most adults, but can cause brain development problems for a fetus and in babies who rely on breastmilk, which will be unavoidably deficient from a vegan mother. Just as serious, a B12 deficiency, which 80% of adult vegans and nearly all vegan children have, seems to program the metabolism of very young children, and they will remain permanently deficient even if they later start eating a less restricted diet that should be able to meet their B12 needs.

There's no question that for many people, it is physically impossible for them to be healthy and vegan. Either they don't have the money for all the extra supplementation, or they don't have a gut that permits it at all.

If someone wants to suffer for their morals, that's totally ok with me. I have a lot of respect for that. I strongly disagree that veganism is more moral, but they're allowed to think so.

What I can't get on board with is promoting it as healthier, because it clearly isn't, or forcing children to be on it, which is even worse.

You're right it doesn't, but a very high number of vegans do suffer from it:
Orthorexia

Criterion A. Obsessive focus on “healthy” eating, as defined by a dietary theory or set of beliefs whose specific details may vary; marked by exaggerated emotional distress in relationship to food choices perceived as unhealthy; weight loss may ensue, but this is conceptualized as an aspect of ideal health rather than as the primary goal. As evidenced by the following:

Compulsive behavior and/or mental preoccupation regarding affirmative and restrictive dietary practices* believed by the individual to promote optimum health.**
Violation of self-imposed dietary rules causes exaggerated fear of disease, sense of personal impurity and/or negative physical sensations, accompanied by anxiety and shame.
Dietary restrictions escalate over time, and may come to include elimination of entire food groups and involve progressively more frequent and/or severe “cleanses” (partial fasts) regarded as purifying or detoxifying. This escalation commonly leads to weight loss, but the desire to lose weight is absent, hidden or subordinated to ideation about healthy food.
*Dietary practices may include use of concentrated “food supplements.”

**Exercise performance and/or fit body image may be regarded as an aspect or indicator of health.

Criterion B. The compulsive behavior and mental preoccupation becomes clinically impairing by any of the following:

Malnutrition, severe weight loss or other medical complications from restricted diet
Intrapersonal distress or impairment of social, academic or vocational functioning secondary to beliefs or behaviors about healthy diet.
Positive body image, self-worth, identity and/or satisfaction excessively dependent on compliance with self-defined “healthy” eating behavior

This describes many "militant:" vegans to a "T".

So could you clarify the difference between her vegan diet and a healthy vegan diet? And please show us where you got your information about what her diet was, so that we can see that it was in fact her diet and not what you assume was her diet.

you'll eat your crappy factory farmed meat and you'll LIKE it.

otherwise you're a privileged rich person

dumb

Huh? I live on a farm and all my meat is organic and local. I work hard for our food. Can you say the same, or do you shop at a grocery store?

Back
Top Bottom