• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"My Vegan Diet Almost Killed Me!"

We already have. Studies on children raised vegan show they experience significant developmental deficits in all kinds of brain functions, from memory to learning. This is probably mostly due to a lack of DHA and EPA. These affects are amplified if they are also deficient in B12 -- which the vast majority of vegans are, and children especially.

DHA and EPA are virtually impossible to supplement for adequately without using animal sources. The body can't make very good use of synthetic and plant variants -- vegans are generally deficient regardless of supplementation. And unfortunately, the same is true of B12 -- many vegans who supplement are still deficient due to poor utilization by the body. It can cause pretty significant developmental impairment.

It's plain irresponsible to feed a growing child a vegan diet, in my opinion.

Hmmm... I was raised on "semi-legal" venison, "semi-legal" salmon, lot's of pork and lots and lots of green beans, tomatoes and zucchini. That's why I'm so smart!!!

I don't take diet advice from sick people who eat their way into diabetes.

You were doing so well avoiding the trollish garbage and now here you go again. Why do you hate so much?? Why are you so narrow minded about food?? We are humans and we eat meat, always have, most likely always will. Those of us who are meat-eaters have a much wider range of food available to us, meaning that we are better equipped to survive. Eating meat as a child is good for brain development, meaning our kids are going to be smarter than yours. IMO, veganism is pretty much just an affectation. If you were put on an island and had to fend for yourself, those wild pigs would be looking pretty good since they provide an immediate source of food while you wait for the edible plants to mature enough to eat. When push comes to shove, we're ALL carnivores.

It's incredibly difficult to be a strict vegan and still get the proper balance of nutrients, regardless of your gender or age.

However, once you add dairy products and eggs, most people can do very well without animal meat.

What's that called ... well-nigh vegan? more-or-less vegan? virtual vegan? damn-near vegan?

Whatever it is, it ain't vegan.

And those athletes were not always vegan, in fact when they were developing their bodies they most likely weren't. They are at a stage in their careers where professional dieticians are available for their use.

You know you can make your own fuel for your vehicle, right? Problems is, unless you get it exactly right you'll damage the vehicle, sometimes severely.

Your own personal vehicle, your body, is designed for meat, animal proteins, as part of it's [balanced] fuel. If you want to go off script and roll your own you had better be the best at formulating that alternative fuel [balance]. Only a very small percentage of folks can do that with any sort of competency.

Why? Especially when there's no need. The OEM fuel for your body can easily be had if you balance your diet.

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to diet and athletes. There are a lot of athletes that only went professional after they went vegan. The only nutrient you have to supplement with on a plant based diet is b12. If you see an athlete in their late 30s to 40s that can still get their maximum heart rate over 200 bpm, they are not eating much meat. That is not to say that the majority of athletes are vegan, they aren't, but the majority of your pro-level endurance athletes and multisport athletes are eating primarily a plant based diet that may or may not include some lean white meats, eggs, dairy and cold water fish. Look at your pro-pelotons and you will see a lot of plant based athletes and these are some of the most fit athletes on earth. The same is true for triathletes, ultra-runners, and pro-cross country skiers. The reason for this is that lots of red meat is inflammatory, and lots of saturated fats leads to arterial sclerosis.

I am less than 2 months away from turning 40 and while not vegan, have ate a whole foods primarily plant based diet with some dairy, cold water fish, and small amounts of lean white meats (nothing processed) for much of my adult life. I am also an avid runner, cyclist, trail runner, and duathlete.

My resting heart rate is in the low 40s. My maximum heart rate is 204 bpm. I have seen no decline at all in either my maximum heart rate or resting heart rate yet despite getting older. I maintain a body fat percentage under 10% and still have 6 pack abs. My calcium score is 0. My blood pressure averages 110/67. I still set PR's in races today and I am almost 40. Guys that eat a lot of meat, specifically a lot of red meat, don't have numbers like that at my age. Their maximum heart rate is usually in the 180s if they are fit, they haven't set a PR in nearly 10 years, their V02 max has fallen, their body fat percentage has crept up, their bp often is creeping up, and so on.

This dude, 50 years old and a vegan athlete: Athlete/Author Rich Roll

the problem was obviously her vegan diet

Then why do millions lead perfectly healthy lives as vegans?

Correlation =/= Causation

Vegans have higher mortality rates than white meat/fish-only eaters and vegetarians, which indicates that they are clearly not more healthy. Pescetarians and ovo-lacto-vegetarians have the lowest mortality, actually.

My wife and I are pescatarians and I can honestly say it was the best decision of our lives.

Then why do millions lead perfectly healthy lives as vegans?

Correlation =/= Causation

And many times that number who lead perfectly healthy lives without being vegan. You'd do well to remember your last statement there.

I'm thinking of trying that, too.

I wish more people knew what it was. When we first told friends and family they thought pescatarian was some religious denomination.

Too many people just jump into vegetarianism/veganism only to give up altogether because they have no plan or the temptation to "relapse" with red meat is too great. Admittedly, I probably would have too. But with pescatarianism I can get my "meat fix" with eggs and seafood. Much easier diet to stick to.

And many times that number who lead perfectly healthy lives without being vegan. You'd do well to remember your last statement there.

I never said people cannot lead a perfectly healthy non-vegan diet.

However, I do find it quite hilarious how some are nit-picking a case of a clearly ignorant/unprepared woman while ignoring the obesity epidemic largely caused by our obsession with sugar and red meat.

Al Pater posted this paper [1] on the mortality rates of meat-eaters vs. vegetarians (and vegans) among participates in the EPIC-Oxford study of diet and health. The results were disappointing for us vegans (and vegetarians):

There was no significant difference in overall (all-cause) mortality between the diet groups: HRs in low meat eaters, fish eaters, and vegetarians compared with regular meat eaters were 0.93 (95% CI: 0.86, 1.00), 0.96 (95% CI: 0.86, 1.06), and 1.02 (95% CI: 0.94, 1.10), respectively; P-heterogeneity of risks = 0.082.

In a separate sub-analysis of the vegan's in the study, they found the same thing - no difference in all-cause mortality between vegans and any of the other diets.

https://www.crsociety.org/topic/11450-why-dont-uk-vegansvegetarians-live-longer/

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to diet and athletes. There are a lot of athletes that only went professional after they went vegan. The only nutrient you have to supplement with on a plant based diet is b12. If you see an athlete in their late 30s to 40s that can still get their maximum heart rate over 200 bpm, they are not eating much meat. That is not to say that the majority of athletes are vegan, they aren't, but the majority of your pro-level endurance athletes and multisport athletes are eating primarily a plant based diet that may or may not include some lean white meats, eggs, dairy and cold water fish. Look at your pro-pelotons and you will see a lot of plant based athletes and these are some of the most fit athletes on earth. The same is true for triathletes, ultra-runners, and pro-cross country skiers. The reason for this is that lots of red meat is inflammatory, and lots of saturated fats leads to arterial sclerosis.

I am less than 2 months away from turning 40 and while not vegan, have ate a whole foods primarily plant based diet with some dairy, cold water fish, and small amounts of lean white meats (nothing processed) for much of my adult life. I am also an avid runner, cyclist, trail runner, and duathlete.

My resting heart rate is in the low 40s. My maximum heart rate is 204 bpm. I have seen no decline at all in either my maximum heart rate or resting heart rate yet despite getting older. I maintain a body fat percentage under 10% and still have 6 pack abs. My calcium score is 0. My blood pressure averages 110/67. I still set PR's in races today and I am almost 40. Guys that eat a lot of meat, specifically a lot of red meat, don't have numbers like that at my age. Their maximum heart rate is usually in the 180s if they are fit, they haven't set a PR in nearly 10 years, their V02 max has fallen, their body fat percentage has crept up, their bp often is creeping up, and so on.

This dude, 50 years old and a vegan athlete: Athlete/Author Rich Roll

Wow, struck a sore nerve there I see. Well let's suppose what you say about yourself is true. First, you're only 40. Got news for you, but most of us healthy folk don't see any decline until we're in our late 50s. Second, you may fall into that group I mentioned ("Only a very small percentage of folks can do that with any sort of competency."). You seriously think that most folks know what their resting heart rate is? Heck, outside of rank guesswork I don't believe most folks know what their own body fat percentage is, or even how to calculate it.

These expert diets should come with a warning like the daredevil TV programs - "these stunts are done by professionals, do not try this at home".

I never said people cannot lead a perfectly healthy non-vegan diet.

However, I do find it quite hilarious how some are nit-picking a case of a clearly ignorant/unprepared woman while ignoring the obesity epidemic largely caused by our obsession with sugar and red meat.

No one is ignoring obesity, except perhaps for the folks who want so very much to excuse their own. But the issue is not red meat, or meat in general. The complex sugars and manmade complex fats and oils are the problem for those folks who are idle most of the day.

I wish more people knew what it was. When we first told friends and family they thought pescatarian was some religious denomination.

Too many people just jump into vegetarianism/veganism only to give up altogether because they have no plan or the temptation to "relapse" with red meat is too great. Admittedly, I probably would have too. But with pescatarianism I can get my "meat fix" with eggs and seafood. Much easier diet to stick to.

Lol, that's what I thought pescatarian was initially!

And I need my "meat fix" too. I'm just trying to cut down as much meat in my meals as possible.

the issue is not red meat

“The association between consumption of red and processed meats and cancer, particularly colorectal cancer, is very consistent,” says Marji McCullough, PhD, a nutritional epidemiologist with the American Cancer Society.
Is Eating Red Meat Bad for Your Health?

The complex sugars and manmade complex fats and oils are the problem for those folks who are idle most of the day.

This is downright false. Yes, being active is essential to being healthy... but, overall, diet is more important than exercise. Even if you exercised every day, if you do not eat healthy then you are asking for trouble.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/u...more-important-than-exercising-more.html?_r=0

And I need my "meat fix" too. I'm just trying to cut down as much meat in my meals as possible.

And that is a noble goal. Even before my diet change, I was sticking to keeping meat as a side rather than main course. Anyone who questions whether a more plant-based diet is better/natural for humans should compare the intestinal tracts of a human to that of a coyote. They have shorter tracts for a reason.

great. good to hear people are waking up

Well eating dairy and eggs will disgust most vegetarians though since they consider the latter as meat. ;)

The fact that her body functions went back to normal after she veered away from her vegan diet means... it was her diet.

Perhaps, but most people cant keep up. Its got an 84% recidivism rate and its not healthy for children- which only proves that its generally not healthy at all.

Almost all vegans I know were born in India. Vegans from India have no problem with dairy.

Almost all vegans I know were born in India. Vegans from India have no problem with dairy.

Thats because of improper food handling that results in insect eggs and parts on their vegetables. The ones who immigrated to Britain experienced vitamin B12 deficiencies.

Wow, struck a sore nerve there I see. Well let's suppose what you say about yourself is true. First, you're only 40. Got news for you, but most of us healthy folk don't see any decline until we're in our late 50s. Second, you may fall into that group I mentioned ("Only a very small percentage of folks can do that with any sort of competency."). You seriously think that most folks know what their resting heart rate is? Heck, outside of rank guesswork I don't believe most folks know what their own body fat percentage is, or even how to calculate it.

These expert diets should come with a warning like the daredevil TV programs - "these stunts are done by professionals, do not try this at home".

Go pull up the average guy's race results, he starts to see a decline after his early 30s. It is not common for someone in their late 30s to 40s to perform as well as they did in their 20s and that is all due to diet. As to most people not knowing their resting heart rate, I can watch someone walk up a few flights of stairs and give a pretty good estimation of their resting heart rate.

Yes, meat had a role in our evolution, even more so was cooking our food. However, evolution is not concerned with keeping you fit and strong well into middle and old age. Its only concerned with keeping you fit and strong when you are young and reproducing. After that, evolution is done with you.

Finally, the fact is the longest living and fittest cultures on earth are all societies that eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, typically some fish, and not much meat.

Go pull up the average guy's race results, he starts to see a decline after his early 30s. It is not common for someone in their late 30s to 40s to perform as well as they did in their 20s and that is all due to diet. As to most people not knowing their resting heart rate, I can watch someone walk up a few flights of stairs and give a pretty good estimation of their resting heart rate.

Yes, meat had a role in our evolution, even more so was cooking our food. However, evolution is not concerned with keeping you fit and strong well into middle and old age. Its only concerned with keeping you fit and strong when you are young and reproducing. After that, evolution is done with you.

Finally, the fact is the longest living and fittest cultures on earth are all societies that eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, typically some fish, and not much meat.

At one time my resting heart rate was 120 bpm. Congenital heart defect. But I could still do six flights of stairs. My diet is varied and it does include meat. In my angiogram not a single blockage was seen.

At one time my resting heart rate was 120 bpm. Congenital heart defect. But I could still do six flights of stairs. My diet is varied and it does include meat. In my angiogram not a single blockage was seen.

But thats different as you had a congenital heart defect. With most people their poor diet slowly hardens their arteries.

Back
Top Bottom