• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My trip to Ankara, Turkey

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
1121470135_c33721711e.jpg

1121471751_840f43e58d.jpg

1121475655_07c516d447.jpg

1121477283_3e2a47369b.jpg

1122329122_64212ce4cf.jpg

[

1121498483_a6685d759e.jpg

1121507935_bd2e695d5a.jpg

1122480698_060b9d747b.jpg

1122510218_f112d58b52.jpg

My mum took these pictures and she has flickr cause shes cool.

Last edited:
1121498483_a6685d759e.jpg

1121507935_bd2e695d5a.jpg

1122480698_060b9d747b.jpg

1122510218_f112d58b52.jpg

My mum took these pictures and she has flickr cause shes cool.

1121681241_0fbbdf4e4b.jpg

1122525718_fae24ced08.jpg

1122529948_e0e8ccc283.jpg

1122538052_4b05ef9320.jpg

Lot's of American's there too. You guys should go and see it, amazing place.

Awesome pictures, thank you for sharing.

Ever since I thought (incorrectly) that my family originated from Turkey, I've been fascinated by the place.

I'm truly envious of you kaya, I hope to visit one day.

Even with Turkey being a Muslim country(religiously), how did the people act towards you being a non Turk (nationally, I know your family comes from there, well you know what I mean)?

people are worried about us being assimilated by Muslims, i'm more worried about Muslims being assimilated by ****ing starbucks.

but they're great photos.

Ever since I thought (incorrectly) that my family originated from Turkey, I've been fascinated by the place.

Yes i remember you told me this. :2razz:

I'm truly envious of you kaya, I hope to visit one day.

Even with Turkey being a Muslim country(religiously), how did the people act towards you being a non Turk (nationally, I know your family comes from there, well you know what I mean)?

They treated me well of course. I know a New Zealand lass that lives here and she has no Turkish background. Turkey is very much part of Europe in a societal sense in 2 ways. The first way is, it's European attitude both in society and politics and the fact that its as though there is free movement between Turkey and the rest of Europe because the diaspora is so huge, so coming from outside of Turkey is nothing new to them, neither is the thinking or the mentality. Of course there is a conflict of secular/moderate religion in this country but the secular has always thrived and been the majority, even under the AKP, because like any European country, liberal secularism and enlightenment is the greatest ideal of this country. I felt at home, imo. It's as European as any other European place.

Last edited:
They treated me well of course. I know a New Zealand lass that lives here and she has no Turkish background. Turkey is very much part of Europe in a societal sense in 2 ways. The first way is, it's European attitude both in society and politics and the fact that its as though there is free movement between Turkey and the rest of Europe because the diaspora is so huge, so coming from outside of Turkey is nothing new to them, neither is the thinking or the mentality. Of course there is a conflict of secular/moderate religion in this country but the secular has always thrived and been the majority, even under the AKP, because like any European country, liberal secularism and enlightenment is the greatest ideal of this country. I felt at home, imo. It's as European as any other European place.

That is wickedly awesome.

Did you go to any of the Bazaars?

Your pictures are almost all devoid of people. Was it actually like that there or is that just your photography style?

I have a friend doing his masters in Ankara. He has nothing but good things to say about the place.

Your pictures are almost all devoid of people. Was it actually like that there or is that just your photography style?

I have a friend doing his masters in Ankara. He has nothing but good things to say about the place.

Ok well, my mum took these pictures and i just stole it off her flickr account tbh. :)

Well you may have noticed the political flags stemming across building to building, saying MHP. Well, there was a political rally for the nationalists (which apparently accounts for all of Ankara lol) since the streets where virtually empty.

The second photo of English Time was in the city centre and it was pretty packed that day.

The third picture makes it more evident that there is some kind of political promotion going on and the rally wasn't far from there.

1121477283_3e2a47369b.jpg

This is my absolute favourite. Its a stretch of road that leads out into the country side but before it does it goes through loads of lovely neighbourhoods with American style houses. The rest of the pictures where taken on the same day hence the emptiness ;p

I never got time to look through the second album Kaya, but these are by far the best.

Nice pics Kaya. It makes me chuckle how people ask how you were treated etc:lol: Turkey seems the place to go at the moment. You do get more for your money, as they are not in the Euro zone. I'm looking at it for next year [contemplated this year but decided on Mexico] as many of my friends have been and all gave glowing reports :)

Paul

Nice pics Kaya. It makes me chuckle how people ask how you were treated etc:lol: Turkey seems the place to go at the moment. You do get more for your money, as they are not in the Euro zone. I'm looking at it for next year [contemplated this year but decided on Mexico] as many of my friends have been and all gave glowing reports :)

Paul

Yeah its funny but there Americans so i let it slide. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom