• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

My thoughts on our public school system.

George_Washington

DP Veteran
Reaction score
United States of America and proud of it!
Political Leaning
Conservative
Education is a matter of constant debate in our society, one that is met with great controversy. People say that public schools tend to not be as efficient as private ones and I agree with them. I do think a lot of our public schools have let down underprivileged children. Liberals say the answer is more funding; conservatives say it is vouchers.

However, I am not convinved that neither of them are correct. I'm not against vouchers, I think they make a lot of sense. But there might be a better way to help our children.

My idea is to partially privatize our public schools (grades k through 12 only). This wouldn't be forced on anybody; each city would have the option of doing this. How it work is, part of the school is sold to the public in the form of shares, just like corporation. The shares are traded on the NYSE. I think the money that the school makes from investor purchases would help the school to add more equipment and to increase it's efficency. If students do well and enrollment is up, the stock holders make money and so does the school. It would be like any other business. However, if it doesn't work out after a certain period of time, the federal government could refund the investors their money and the school could once again become totally public. The extra money we'd get in we could use for tax cuts or possibly a capital gains cut, thereby giving investors more money to invest.

I like this idea not only because it would strengthen the NYSE but because it would kind of force public schools to compete with private ones, thereby possibly lowering prices for students. You know, it all revolves around the laws of free competition.

I am also open to the possibility of having all private schools having the option of being publically traded on the NYSE.

What do you all think of this idea?

I would think this was a good idea if not for one thing: schools dont make money. By definition a good school would take all its profit and put it right back into itself for the students. The profit margins themselves (if they were to make the schools affordable) would be slimmer than supermodel. Not that I dont think this would be good, but schools really aren't a sound investment sad to say. Its like providing venture capital for a company whose product wont even be out for another 12 years, and may or may not provide you with any benefit. While it might work, I have no idea how trading trends would be established, seems like the market for schools might be a little jumpy because its hard to determine which school is "the best".

George_Washington said:
Education is a matter of constant debate in our society, one that is met with great controversy. People say that public schools tend to not be as efficient as private ones and I agree with them. I do think a lot of our public schools have let down underprivileged children. Liberals say the answer is more funding; conservatives say it is vouchers.

However, I am not convinved that neither of them are correct. I'm not against vouchers, I think they make a lot of sense. But there might be a better way to help our children.

My idea is to partially privatize our public schools (grades k through 12 only). This wouldn't be forced on anybody; each city would have the option of doing this. How it work is, part of the school is sold to the public in the form of shares, just like corporation. The shares are traded on the NYSE. I think the money that the school makes from investor purchases would help the school to add more equipment and to increase it's efficency. If students do well and enrollment is up, the stock holders make money and so does the school. It would be like any other business. However, if it doesn't work out after a certain period of time, the federal government could refund the investors their money and the school could once again become totally public. The extra money we'd get in we could use for tax cuts or possibly a capital gains cut, thereby giving investors more money to invest.

I like this idea not only because it would strengthen the NYSE but because it would kind of force public schools to compete with private ones, thereby possibly lowering prices for students. You know, it all revolves around the laws of free competition.

I am also open to the possibility of having all private schools having the option of being publically traded on the NYSE.

What do you all think of this idea?

You might want to get galen's opinion on this...but I'm pretty sure that's not how stocks work. Schools make no money. Why would people want to invest in them?

Kelzie said:
You might want to get galen's opinion on this...but I'm pretty sure that's not how stocks work. Schools make no money. Why would people want to invest in them?

I was under the impression that all schools made some sort of profit just like higher ed institutions. Or do they all just break even?

George_Washington said:
I was under the impression that all schools made some sort of profit just like higher ed institutions. Or do they all just break even?

They don't even break even. We pay taxes to support schools. They have no source of revenue, except for private schools, and I'm sure they don't make money.

Kelzie said:
They don't even break even. We pay taxes to support schools. They have no source of revenue, except for private schools, and I'm sure they don't make money.

Hmmm...maybe we could find ways to get companies to advertise their products in schools' books, halls, etc. and then the schools could make money from the companies and use that to make a profit.

George_Washington said:
Hmmm...maybe we could find ways to get companies to advertise their products in schools' books, halls, etc. and then the schools could make money from the companies and use that to make a profit.

Except that schools are there to educate, not to make a profit.

Kelzie said:
Except that schools are there to educate, not to make a profit.

But who says profit and education have to fight each other?

I think it's clear that a lot of of our current public schools aren't working out so I'm trying to think of alternatives.

Last edited:
The problem with corporate sponsorship, and advertising, is that the students are being used as a marketing tool. Many schools have had money thrown their way if they allow only Coca Cola products, or Pepsi products, in the vending machines. Not good for the kids body or minds.
The corporate world is happy with the education our kids are getting, as they want compliant minds that they can manipulate. They only need a few really smart ones, and the rest can be drones.
Politicians are happy with the education system for the same reason. A truly educated person can not be so easily manipulated by 30 second sound bites during election years.
It is up to the individual to WANT to be educated, and to seek that education beyound high school, in college, and to some extent outside the public schools and government owned colleges.

Back
Top Bottom