• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My take on Trump so far...

First a few prerequisites:

1. I did not vote for Trump
  2. I am not a Trump apologist
  3. This is my opinion

[video=youtube_share;lJG0Ibhcsng]https://youtu.be/lJG0Ibhcsng[/video]

When Trump was first elected. I did not cry or celebrate. Apathy would be the best word to describe my thoughts. I cannot stand Hillary and Trump was more in the “meh” category for me. I kinda liked what he said on the election trail sometime unless it was referring to my personal privacy, US terrorism or global wars. When he mentioned those topics, I thought he was the devil himself. He is indeed the lesser of two evils in my book. The best images circulating the net right after were of some girl screaming and crying…. NO!!! Haha, am I bad for loving that video? It’s not the “liberal” thing or the extra effort taken to create that video that I am laughing at, it’s the lack of critical thinking from what seemed like the masses which at first scared me more than the sensationalizing of “pain”. I’m starting to believe some of those crazy conspiracy stories about the media.

Twitter Entertainment:
Trump wins the prize here. There is nothing better than following him and watching his tweets. I’ve almost pee’d my pants on a few of his rants. He takes mis-direction to a whole new level. He is not Hitler or some bat **** crazy racist. He is not the downfall of democracy. His core is very capitalist. Alas, he is not really Republican either. He is a charismatic CEO of an entertainment brand named Trump. He’s treating the presidency no different than running a failing company. Many have begged for this type of ‘business ran government’ savior for many years and we will see what happens. My guess is eventually a cleanup of the swamp, as he calls it, will happen and he will have a huge banner on an aircraft carrier claiming victory someday. However, it will not be the immediate cleanup that many are expecting.

Two realities:
Scott Adam’s (Dilbert) call s it ‘cognitive dissonance’ watching different movies and Adam Curry (NoAgenda) calls it an ‘alternative universe’. It’s the same thing. Basically, our personal bias gets in the way of reality and control what we see as facts. For instance, one might read or hear the way Trump communicates in his tone and reflection and it might align well with them and their understanding, but another might read or hear his words and think it is a bunch of gibberish or worse - the end of the world. One might see a tweet and see it as a well thought out and succinct idea (yes I really mean to say this) and another might see it as though a five year old wrote it. It’s simply a different viewpoint.

On the job training:
When I saw the press conference the other day, I saw Trump training the journalists on how to approach him as the President. He isn’t going to take the bull**** and isn’t going to take the status quo. Whether that status quo change is a good thing or not is to be determined. He said, very directly, even for him - that the press conference would be viewed to some as him “ranting and raving”. And, low and behold the next day the big media said exactly that. I do not think that journalists give the American public credit for thinking or understanding what is really going on. They want to control the narrative and discussion, mostly due to laziness. It is not all for a bias.

For instance, when he called on April Ryan, she asked a very simple follow-up question about the CBC and the reply to her follow-up he asked her to set up a meeting. People went crazy on twitter and social media that Trump is a racist and it was rude. What I saw was that she is an insider knowing the issues with Trump and them talking and he called her on it. I’m not buying that teh CBC is innocent in this. Many people will not get this or chose to ignore it. However, she knew exactly what Trump was doing and didn’t like that she was not in control. He kept saying ‘very good question’. Why? There was a reason for that. Likely as that is the topic he said would be a ‘bad question’ and it happened. Out of laziness and a failed attempt at a retort, she claimed “I’m just a reporter.” After all, she was asking the questions.

https://youtu.be/p_r2Hldgrng

We can pretry much garantee that she will likely never attempt a follow-up like that again. Elementary question, grown up deeply rooted connected consequences. Until the media figures out that he is counting on them to be lazy, play ignorant (aka gotcha questions) and create false narratives; Trump will continue helping them with on the job training. Some see this as freedom of speach imparement. I see it as a long needed correction within our media. Meanwhile he will come out the winner.

Made up events:
Trump has made up events such as Sweden terrorist attack. On the surface, it makes him look like a fool. Critically thinking this is truly scary because where he gets his info - from the intelligence community. Obvious, it wasn’t on the news. If they are truly out to get him, this would be the way they will attempt. He has a big mouth. I believe that Trump was sincere in discussing that event and I also believe he isn’t the one who made it up. This will backfire because Trump will start naming classified events that will cause harm in the intelligence community and tie their hands. My guess is that a yuuuge disruption is coming in the Washington intelligence community if it has not already started.

Indifferent:
I’m still a bit indifferent and critical about a Trump presidency. Let’s see if he really is as big and bold as his few days have shown so far. If anything, he might be curing my apathy and interest for politics again.

I know this will come as a yuuuge shock to you, but I actually agree with this nearly 100%. My biggest fear is that he is a disaster on foreign policy. Nothing he has done so far has lessened that fear. I believe his domestic policies will help get us out of the rut we seem to be stuck in. Job growth has to pick up from the abysmal Obama numbers. Keeping jobs here has to be a priority, and so far it has been. Taking a step back and analyzing the vetting process for refugees is a must but I still can't figure out why it is our job to take in refugees in the first place. Why aren't Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia and others stepping up to the plate? (I know the answer to this BTW)

The media needed to be taken to task and so far he's done that. Fake news stories, partisan reporting and other shenanigans have to be addressed and stopped. A free press is vital but an unbiased press is crucial. It's OK to be critical of the President and his administration, but it's something else entirely to be hypocritical. Watching CNN, MSNBC and FOX News do a 180 from where they were at this time last year is really, really sad. Where CNN and MSNBC were giving free passes to the past administration and it's actual scandals and mistakes, they are making up scandals on the fly with this one and vice versa for FOX. And the broadcast networks are no better. From seeing anchors actually crying on air when Trump was declared the winner to the outrage over absolutely nothing that's in any way "newsworthy" just shows how biased and partisan our media truly is.

So far I'd give him a C+. He's done a few good things and made some stupid mistakes but I believe his intentions are sincere and in the best interest of every American.

Trump has relished the spotlight and successfully maneuvered on the world stage for decades. What I think and want has laughable and infinitesimal influence on his successes and failures. Nonetheless, I enjoy participating in our political process and expressing my opinions. Many of the decisions made and the work done by our elected officials and public employees directly affect the quality of my life and the lives of millions, maybe billions of people. I admire Trump and acknowledge his impressive history of apparent success in business and, most recently, in marketing himself as clearly the most qualified person to become POTUS. Team Trump sought the Presidency, put the work in, and pulled off a stunning and remarkable upset! I congratulate all who supported Team Trump! As for me, age 60 and voting since 1974, I did not vote for him. I don't expect to ever vote for him. I do not support him. While I cannot deny his air of confidence, I do not believe he has the skill set or karma in public governance to complete his term. I admit to not knowing very much, so my opinion doesn't mean very much. I hope Trump serves as a catalyst for positive change... and his successor, most likely Pence, serves the best interests of Americans and the betterment of the Universe. I sincerely appreciate the high entertainment factor Donald J. Trump has brought to our political process this election cycle! I also really appreciate DP as a place to share opinions and debate... and I hope to demonstrate my support with thoughtful donations! I pledge $20... grin grin... before the end of February.

Thank you for the video. Whenever I'm feeling down, I just play that video and it perks me right up and puts a smile on my face. Thanks again

I'm a registered Republican and I didn't vote for Trump because of an inflexible trait about him I picked up during the Debates. I liked many of his plans and ideas but he can't seem to get past how he's portrayed in the Media or by other people. Even with all of Jesus's followers, he was rejected by management but I'm sure could've dismissed them with a mere thought. There's something in that lesson that should be considered. People need an equal say and that democracy is a messy situation at best but it is based on the equality of "freedom."

If Donald keeps warring with everything negative said about him, particularly by the Press, it won't end well. We all want everyone to like us and agree, though we usually accept that's simply not reality. He's capable of accomplishing a lot of positive things for this country and world but he has to grow beyond this delusional desire to be universally loved.

The one thing I am sure of in the early going of this administration is that we should not trust the media to give us the truth about what is going on about much of anything. With the exception of Fox News that also does a lot of spinning but is honestly trying to get the whole story out there, the MSM and their surrogates in the underground press and on social media are devoid of any sense of fair play, ethics, honor, or integrity when it comes to this President. They seem intent on destroying him and there is no sign that they intend to let up on that.

If they succeed, IMO we will never again see anybody willing to challenge the status quo permanent political class in Washington, in politics, in the media, or anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom