• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My super awesome minestrone

tessaesque

Bring us a shrubbery!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I HATE following recipes, so when I see a food concept that sounds good I skim the ingredients & instructions, then decide to do it my own way. Last week I decided to try my hand at minestrone soup..sort of. The following is what I came up with, and it was pretty damn good:

Ingredients

1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced

8 cups chicken stock (I bought low-sodium organic, but kudos to you if you make your own!)
4 lg tomatoes, diced
1 medium yellow squash, diced
1 medium green zucchini, diced

1 small can tomato paste
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp basil
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp frank's red hot sauce (or tobasco, or similar)

1 small package pre-made tortellini (I used chicken & prosciutto)
2-3 cups kale or spinach

Dry, hard Italian cheese (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Crusty bread

Instructions

1. In a stock pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and carrots, cooking until onions are translucent. Add garlic, cooking for about 1 more minute. Deglaze the pan by adding about 1 cup of chicken stock, stirring gently.

2. Add 3 more cups of stock, tomatoes, zucchini, and squash. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.

3. Add remaining stock, spices, tomato paste, and hot sauce. Stir to incorporate all ingredients.

3. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover, reduce to just above simmer, and cook for about 20-30 minutes. Add tortellini, cook for approximately 8-10 minutes.

4. Add kale or spinach, cooking until greens are wilted (about 2 minutes). Serve with a small pinch of dry, hard Italian cheese (mix of Romano/Parm or similar), salt and crusty bread.

Sounds great!

I've never used hot sauce in cooking minestrone but I often put it in after(I put hot sauce on damned near everything). You should try roasting the garlic and substituting escarole for the spinach.

Also, if you have fresh basil a little bit of it finely chopped makes a killer garnish.

Sounds great!

I've never used hot sauce in cooking minestrone but I often put it in after(I put hot sauce on damned near everything). You should try roasting the garlic and substituting escarole for the spinach.

Also, if you have fresh basil a little bit of it finely chopped makes a killer garnish.

My local store didn't have escarole :(.

But...I'm going to roast up some garlic this weekend, 'cause I want to make bruschetta on Sunday.

My local store didn't have escarole :(.

But...I'm going to roast up some garlic this weekend, 'cause I want to make bruschetta on Sunday.

Y'know, I'm starting to get jealous of your boyfriend!

I HATE following recipes, so when I see a food concept that sounds good I skim the ingredients & instructions, then decide to do it my own way. Last week I decided to try my hand at minestrone soup..sort of. The following is what I came up with, and it was pretty damn good:

Ingredients

1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced

8 cups chicken stock (I bought low-sodium organic, but kudos to you if you make your own!)
4 lg tomatoes, diced
1 medium yellow squash, diced
1 medium green zucchini, diced

1 small can tomato paste
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp basil
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp frank's red hot sauce (or tobasco, or similar)

1 small package pre-made tortellini (I used chicken & prosciutto)
2-3 cups kale or spinach

Dry, hard Italian cheese (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Crusty bread

Instructions

1. In a stock pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and carrots, cooking until onions are translucent. Add garlic, cooking for about 1 more minute. Deglaze the pan by adding about 1 cup of chicken stock, stirring gently.

2. Add 3 more cups of stock, tomatoes, zucchini, and squash. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.

3. Add remaining stock, spices, tomato paste, and hot sauce. Stir to incorporate all ingredients.

3. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover, reduce to just above simmer, and cook for about 20-30 minutes. Add tortellini, cook for approximately 8-10 minutes.

4. Add kale or spinach, cooking until greens are wilted (about 2 minutes). Serve with a small pinch of dry, hard Italian cheese (mix of Romano/Parm or similar), salt and crusty bread.

That looks delicious. :mrgreen:

It look like all healthy ingredients and is my fav soup. :)

If you like healthy a great snack is to slice up a tomato, sprinkle on a little romano, chopped fresh basil, pepper and a little touch of oregano. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and cook them under the broiler for a couple of minutes. It's good with a little pancetta or prosciutto too.

Back
Top Bottom