• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Spoiler Filled Avatar Review (saw it in 3-D 28Aug10)

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So the wife and I broke down to see Avatar, since I so down talked the flick, I figured I better see it in all it's glory. There Mr. Cameron $21 from my wife and I for the full Experience.

Visually, the movie was stunning. Just an amazing treat to behold. The only part of the movie that looked cartoonish was when a Navi and Human were in contact. Then it looked REALLY fake as **** ya know?

Side note, why the hell are 3-D maps in the future still done in ****ty cartoon colors? Why not in real colors with points of interest highlighted?

So anyway, the movie was almost a very enjoyable film about a young up and coming Navi Warrior but with the fish out of water twist he's really a "controlled" being not a "REAL" Navi. Which is stupid really. How'd they maintain the link? Why couldn't it have just been a mind transfer?? Oh, yeah, forgot that was so they could have the drama of waking up human, losing days... plot points. Oh and a tree could accomplish what super science couldn't. (though Super Science had unlimited instant long distance remote body control going on).

It fell apart right after the epic flying sequence. Which was fun, if predictable. Then the movie went into overdrive with it's Iraq War parrallells (We fight Terrorism with Terrorism) silliness, the whole war to get "unobtainanium" that could have been avoided if we'd "Just given diplomacy a chance". MEH.

*Sidenote, what, they don't have fast moving bombers? Or BOMBS? Why the pallets of fertilizer? WTF was that about?

Overall, I'm glad I saw the film for the technical achievement, the story was mundane, predictable and weak.

*Sidenote: Why can't Hollywood find more Sigourney Weavers? She's like one of three Actresses that can be a badass without coming across as a... bitch.

I thought the story was ok. I mean, I could go without much of the forced awkward love story section of it, but I think the plot has much to do with how much you measure yourself a sci-fi geek. If you're high up on the geek-o-meter it ranked high because it dealt with an alternate race of an alternate land with different culture and mannerisms.

Also, I doubt this is much of a spoiler. You may have been the last person in America who went to see this movie. I think the re-screening is more to sedate people who wish they could see it again, not see it the first time.

Mark my words - if you saw the original Star Wars trilogy back on the big screen, especially if digitally remastered, there would be a waiting line a mile long at most theaters. It'd make a Miley Cyrus concert look like a desolate wasteland.

Am I the only one that saw this as an updated graphics version of Fern Gulley?

Please don't go down the road of 'taking movies too seriously' and getting really bothered by science-fiction constructs.

Per the 'typical strong, bitchy female fighter' - I fail to see how it's remotely possible to shuffle a more 'ladylike' personality in with the required thought-process that makes a woman a successful fighter or warrior in real life and in movies.

The two just don't go together.

I thoroughly wouldn't enjoy a nicey-nice chick going around killing . . . what, wearing a bikini? Maybe some flip flops. LOL! That makes for a horrid sci-fi thriller worthy of a MST3K episode, not a good meaty believable sci-fi story.

Please don't go down the road of 'taking movies too seriously' and getting really bothered by science-fiction constructs.

Per the 'typical strong, bitchy female fighter' - I fail to see how it's remotely possible to shuffle a more 'ladylike' personality in with the required thought-process that makes a woman a successful fighter or warrior in real life and in movies.

I thoroughly wouldn't enjoy a nicey-nice chick going around killing . . . what, wearing a bikini? Maybe some flip flops. LOL! That makes for a horrid sci-fi thriller worthy of a MST3K episode, not a good meaty believable sci-fi story.

Nah Auntie - take it down a different path. Cute chickies in scanty clothes, working for a futuristic government agency with the sole purpose of keeping people safe --- yet they blow up or destroy everything that they touch, inadvertantly of course. Comic mayhem with the adolecent titilation, action for the adrenaline junkies, and comic relief to wrap it all up. Believable Sci-Fi costs too much... take the red pill.

Nah Auntie - take it down a different path. Cute chickies in scanty clothes, working for a futuristic government agency with the sole purpose of keeping people safe --- yet they blow up or destroy everything that they touch, inadvertantly of course. Comic mayhem with the adolecent titilation, action for the adrenaline junkies, and comic relief to wrap it all up. Believable Sci-Fi costs too much... take the red pill.

LOL Bitch Please, Alex, for 500

:)

'Cause that's how I like it.

I saw it more of a "Brave New World" morality tale with a modern, but lame theme.

Sigorney Weaver, Aliens. Nuff said.

Sigorney Weaver, Aliens. Nuff said.

She was no different than any other 'typical strong bitchy female warrior' character - So I fit her right in with Laura Croft and Gi Jane. :shrug: All good.
Maybe that's just me - if there's something *different* that she did that broke away from tradition I never took notice.

I suppose, perhaps, your view comes from a chronological scope - wasnt Weaver the first real *serious* portrayal of that type of woman? Of course, if that's your first exposure then follow-ups just pale in comparison.

That's a typical outlook. To me there will always be *the one* 007 . . . or *the one* "the One" . . . and any follow ups are just crappy imitations that don't sell it for me.

She was no different than any other 'typical strong bitchy female warrior' character - So I fit her right in with Laura Croft and Gi Jane. :shrug: All good.
Maybe that's just me - if there's something *different* that she did that broke away from tradition I never took notice.

I suppose, perhaps, your view comes from a chronological scope - wasnt Weaver the first real *serious* portrayal of that type of woman? Of course, if that's your first exposure then follow-ups just pale in comparison.

That's a typical outlook. To me there will always be *the one* 007 . . . or *the one* "the One" . . . and any follow ups are just crappy imitations that don't sell it for me.

GI Jane? Seriously?

Seriously? Laura Croft?

No, there is only ONE Ripley, and I'm old enough to remember ALIEN when that's all there was mmkay? There is just something about the way she carries herself few actresses can touch. Demi Moore is not one those actresses. Sarah Connor, Terminator 2... yeah. There was a good one.

GI Jane? Seriously?

Seriously? Laura Croft?

No, there is only ONE Ripley, and I'm old enough to remember ALIEN when that's all there was mmkay? There is just something about the way she carries herself few actresses can touch. Demi Moore is not one those actresses. Sarah Connor, Terminator 2... yeah. There was a good one.

Ok - so *you* like her, individually, as an actress. So it's not her written *character* that you're focusing on (body language that's scripted, dialogue and personality created). . .therein lies the difference. There's something different about her delivery and method. . . her acting *style* sets her apart. . . and the director's view and focus makes a difference, too.

Who are you talking about, anyway? Dr Augustine? Neytiri? Trudy? :) (I should have asked this at the get-go instead of assuming I knew you were talking about Neytiri)

If you're referring to Neytiri I'd say that her attitude was quite fluid with the overall attitude given to the Na'vi people - her Mother, etc. . . very *reflective* of their attidude as a people against the human-aliens amid a cultural crisis and clash of beliefs.

Trudy - typical female fighting soldier, and typical for her acting style too (Fast and Furious - same personae).

Dr Grace (which happens to be Sigourney Weaver). . . typical scientist - and rather bitchy in my opinion. . . but it fit in nicely with her role.

I think the director pulled hteir written characters off well and matched the proper actor/tress to their characters quite seemlessly. . .

Oh I dunno. I know some very nice young ladies who are almost never rude or bitchy... and who will ****ing kill you in about 2.5 seconds if you **** with them.

I would know, I helped train some of them...

No. The writers of "Fern Gully" had a love child with the producers of Disney's "Pocahontas".

I have to agree that Weaver is the original bad ass, and she did it better than any that came after her.

The end scene of Aliens (part II)... enough said.

Oh I dunno. I know some very nice young ladies who are almost never rude or bitchy... and who will ****ing kill you in about 2.5 seconds if you **** with them.

I would know, I helped train some of them...

But how well does that translate into Hollywood?
Not very well.

Just like being rouge doesn't turn into a good Eowyn :shrug: Stereotypes in real life often aren't true but for many audiences in the theater it's just entertainment and money.

What was unusual about Avatar is that people (like me) who *didn't have interest in it* watched it anyway . . . the OP is an example of that as well. It really sparked curiosity - and they got money they otherwise wouldn't have. . . that's quite a feat.

Just like being rouge doesn't turn into a good Eowyn :shrug:

Huh? That wasn't the same actress. {X-men Rogue =/= LOTR Eowyn}

Anna Paquin, vs Miranda Otto

Last edited:
*Sidenote: Why can't Hollywood find more Sigourney Weavers? She's like one of three Actresses that can be a badass without coming across as a... bitch.

Well, I know Betty White must be one of the other two, but who is the other?

Huh? That wasn't the same actress. {X-men Rogue =/= LOTR Eowyn}

Anna Paquin, vs Miranda Otto

Oops - my Bad, wrong Actress - I was thinking "Liv Tyler" - Arwen.

Liv Tyler plays nice and sweet and can't pull off a fight scene to save her life.

Oops - my Bad, wrong Actress - I was thinking "Liv Tyler" - Arwen.

Liv Tyler plays nice and sweet and can't pull off a fight scene to save her life.

Liv Tyler is tasty-looking and probably goes great with whip cream. :mrgreen:

She doesn't need to fight, I'll whup anybody she wants whupped. :cool:

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Liv Tyler is tasty-looking and probably goes great with whip cream. :mrgreen:

She doesn't need to fight, I'll whup anybody she wants whupped. :cool:

Oops, did I say that out loud?

:rofl

Is your inner monologue not working?

Back
Top Bottom