• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Son Zack is Having Major Heart Surgery on Wednesday

armycowboy

The Dark Lord
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I didn't really know where to post this, or even if I should, but I feel I have to put it out there and ask for some prayers/positive vibes. My son Zack , who is 32 years old, is scheduled to have an aortic valve replacement on Wednesday. To complicate matters, he has an aneurysm in his aorta, which will be addressed in the surgery, taking it from a 4 hour procedure to an 8 hour procedure. My wife/his mom is back in Virginia with him to help him through the recovery, while I'm back in Texas with my two step sons, since they're still in college here and couldn't fly out.

If that sounds complicated, my wife and I dated back in the 80's, had Zack, broke up, both had lives and had kids, and got back together in 2013 and married in 2019.

At any rate, as an Army vet, someone who has been in control most of my life, I feel helpless and out of control. So, if anyone has a prayer to share or a positive thought to give, my son could sure use it now.

I didn't really know where to post this, or even if I should, but I feel I have to put it out there and ask for some prayers/positive vibes. My son Zack , who is 32 years old, is scheduled to have an aortic valve replacement on Wednesday. To complicate matters, he has an aneurysm in his aorta, which will be addressed in the surgery, taking it from a 4 hour procedure to an 8 hour procedure. My wife/his mom is back in Virginia with him to help him through the recovery, while I'm back in Texas with my two step sons, since they're still in college here and couldn't fly out.

If that sounds complicated, my wife and I dated back in the 80's, had Zack, broke up, both had lives and had kids, and got back together in 2013 and married in 2019.

At any rate, as an Army vet, someone who has been in control most of my life, I feel helpless and out of control. So, if anyone has a prayer to share or a positive thought to give, my son could sure use it now.

I have a positive thought for you and your son.

I had an aortic valve replacement it will be 16 years ago this May.

I was scared bugshit crazy, I was really terrified man it was some fear that I never had before.
But I'll tell you: the recovery from that surgery wasnt nothing real bad at all. The worst part about it: when I woke up with that vent down my throat I was thirstier than I have ever been in my life, man it was some kind of thirst. That was the worst part of the whole ordeal as it turned out. I couldn't drink anything because you'll throw up from the anesthesia. But after several hours when I was able to drink, I was fine. Tell your son to hydrate up BIG TIME in the few days before the surgery. Get hydrated, you'll be thirsty when you wake up.

I was in the ICU for one day, SOP with any heart surgery, and was walking around the hospital floor the next day. There is some small amount of pain in the breastbone from the incision, but not bad and they kept me in Percocet which more than took care of it.

Tell your son not to worry(of course he will anyway, but no need to), this is a very common procedure now and the aortic is the easiest valve to work on and replace. He should have a great outcome at his age, and its great that they'll take care of that aneurysm while they're in there. They know what they're doing. He may have to take Coumadin as I do, depending on what kind of valve he chooses to get.

I was scared shitless, and after it was all said and done it was really not that bad and not that big of a deal. The fear of thinking about it was way worse than the actual event itself.
It will be fine, try not to worry. (y) DONT FORGET TO HYDRATE, the thirst is the worst part!

@armycowboy -

Serenity Prayer (simple version) -

“God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I can not change,

the Courage to change the things I can,

and the Wisdom to know the difference.”

My 32 year old daughter lives in Alexandria VA. As for complications when it comes to family relations, I fathered children from three different mothers. My current wife and I combine for a total of nine children, six for her, four for me, our last one together.

My personal Gospel includes the notion that living and getting dinged up go hand-in-hand. Take what we have left and keep going!

You once shared a story about how your college football injury led you to pursue a military career. Your 32 year old son now faces a life changing medical procedure. I pray his heart valve replacement leads to a story he can share with others for years to come!

Blessings to you and yours! Feel some Trippy T Love!

Armycowboy:

First you have both our prayers and earnest hopes that your son's 12-hour surgery goes well and that your boy makes a full and fast recovery. The aneurysm was a ticking time-bomb so having it addressed by the surgeons is very wise. Me and mine, when I tell them later this morning, will be sending your son (and both you and your wife) positive waves and heart-felt prayers that everything goes smoothly.

Second, you're not a god and thus you cannot be expected to be in control of these matters, but you can be in control of yourself in order to be an example to all your loved ones. Don the armour of stoic resolve in order to keep yourself protected from self-spiralling anxiety. Fight through the apprension and the ever-looming despair of not knowing and "what-ifs", so that you can be a beacon for those who depend on you to be their light in a sometimes dark world. Turn for strength to the god, the gods or the fates who have seen you through previous times of peril in your life. Tell your two college-aged sons that they're going to have to share the burden of strength and resolve with you and be ready to get yourself up to Virginia to welcome back your boy when this surgery is done, if you are able to. Be the best man, husband and father you can be in this moment of trial and just push through.

Good fortune, strong faith and a family's love will get you all through this, I hope and pray.

To both you and your son, be strong, be well and my family wish you both a good and full life ahead of you. Deus Vult!

Very respectfully.
Evilroddy.

Armycowboy:

First you have both our prayers and earnest hopes that your son's 12-hour surgery goes well and that your boy makes a full and fast recovery. The aneurysm was a ticking time-bomb so having it addressed by the surgeons is very wise. Me and mine, when I tell them later this morning, will be sending your son (and both you and your wife) positive waves and heart-felt prayers that everything goes smoothly.

Second, you're not a god and thus you cannot be expected to be in control of these matters, but you can be in control of yourself in order to be an example to all your loved ones. Don the armour of stoic resolve in order to keep yourself protected from self-spiralling anxiety. Fight through the apprension and the ever-looming despair of not knowing and "what-ifs", so that you can be a beacon for those who depend on you to be their light in a sometimes dark world. Turn for strength to the god, the gods or the fates who have seen you through previous times of peril in your life. Tell your two college-aged sons that they're going to have to share the burden of strength and resolve with you and be ready to get yourself up to Virginia to welcome back your boy when this surgery is done, if you are able to. Be the best man, husband and father you can be in this moment of trial and just push through.

Good fortune, strong faith and a family's love will get you all through this, I hope and pray.

To both you and your son, be strong, be well and my family wish you both a good and full life ahead of you. Deus Vult!

Very respectfully.
Evilroddy.
Thank you, very well said. I appreciate it.

@armycowboy -

Serenity Prayer (simple version) -

“God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I can not change,

the Courage to change the things I can,

and the Wisdom to know the difference.”

My 32 year old daughter lives in Alexandria VA. As for complications when it comes to family relations, I fathered children from three different mothers. My current wife and I combine for a total of nine children, six for her, four for me, our last one together.

My personal Gospel includes the notion that living and getting dinged up go hand-in-hand. Take what we have left and keep going!

You once shared a story about how your college football injury led you to pursue a military career. Your 32 year old son now faces a life changing medical procedure. I pray his heart valve replacement leads to a story he can share with others for years to come!

Blessings to you and yours! Feel some Trippy T Love!
Thank you for posting and remembering that (although I never would have become a professional football player, regardless. :))

Your daughter lives in Alexandria, my son will have his surgery in Fairfax, Va.

Seems we've traveled some of the same roads. Again, I sincerely appreciate your post.

I have a positive thought for you and your son.

I had an aortic valve replacement it will be 16 years ago this May.

I was scared bugshit crazy, I was really terrified man it was some fear that I never had before.
But I'll tell you: the recovery from that surgery wasnt nothing real bad at all. The worst part about it: when I woke up with that vent down my throat I was thirstier than I have ever been in my life, man it was some kind of thirst. That was the worst part of the whole ordeal as it turned out. I couldn't drink anything because you'll throw up from the anesthesia. But after several hours when I was able to drink, I was fine. Tell your son to hydrate up BIG TIME in the few days before the surgery. Get hydrated, you'll be thirsty when you wake up.

I was in the ICU for one day, SOP with any heart surgery, and was walking around the hospital floor the next day. There is some small amount of pain in the breastbone from the incision, but not bad and they kept me in Percocet which more than took care of it.

Tell your son not to worry(of course he will anyway, but no need to), this is a very common procedure now and the aortic is the easiest valve to work on and replace. He should have a great outcome at his age, and its great that they'll take care of that aneurysm while they're in there. They know what they're doing. He may have to take Coumadin as I do, depending on what kind of valve he chooses to get.

I was scared shitless, and after it was all said and done it was really not that bad and not that big of a deal. The fear of thinking about it was way worse than the actual event itself.
It will be fine, try not to worry. (y) DONT FORGET TO HYDRATE, the thirst is the worst part!
Thank you for posting that. I appreciate it and will pass it on to him.

Thoughts, prayers, well wishes, positive vibes and whatever else might help!!!!

I know this feeling to well for family members and myself and i wish you and yours the best and all the calm you could possibly have!!!!
💙

Praying for him, my friend.

Wishing all the best.

I hope for the best for him. And the rest of you, of course.

Best of luck.

It's harder when you have to be so far away, but trust that the docs know what they're doing, we've got a candle lit for him.

And don't forget to take care of yourself. Have a good meal and get some sleep tonight, even if it requires some help from old friend Jack Daniels. Tomorrow will be long.

Back
Top Bottom