• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'My son was murdered': father reacts to video of police shooting unarmed teen

ajn678

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
New video footage of a police shooting of an unarmed California teenager shows the final moments of the deadly encounter and, according to the family of the 19-year-old, offers further evidence that this was a case of excessive force and “murder”.

Another example of murder by police?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/07/dylan-noble-fresno-white-lives-matter-police-shooting-video

At some point LEO's may not be pulling anyone over because so many will be in fear for their own lives they figure they are better off shooting it out with the cops and a whole lot of cops are going to end up dead for no reason other than peoples fears.

New video footage of a police shooting of an unarmed California teenager shows the final moments of the deadly encounter and, according to the family of the 19-year-old, offers further evidence that this was a case of excessive force and “murder”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/07/dylan-noble-fresno-white-lives-matter-police-shooting-video

Looks like the police may have overreacted to me.

This is especially true when their original report read:

According to the police’s version of the incident, the officers believed Noble was armed and fired four shots at him when he allegedly advanced toward them with his hand behind his back.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...es-matter-protest-dylan-noble-shooting-fresno

However, from what I can see of the video the kid was laying on the ground between the pick-up and the curb when at least two of the shots were fired.

Now I can't speak for the first two shots, there is no video. However, no gun was present at the scene, and this speaks volumes about the need (or lack thereof) for deadly force during the encounter.

Last edited:
Nobody is going to protest this. The guy appears to be white and was driving a pickup. In the part of CA he was in that's reasonable cause that he was a heavily armed redneck.

The article says the cops fired 4 times. I only heard 2 shots so I guess they shot him a couple of times before the video started too.

I think we should wait for more evidence

Can't say what happened before the video, but it doesn't look that good that he was lying on his back and they continued to shoot more.

Nobody is going to protest this. The guy appears to be white and was driving a pickup. In the part of CA he was in that's reasonable cause that he was a heavily armed redneck.

The article says the cops fired 4 times. I only heard 2 shots so I guess they shot him a couple of times before the video started too.

The protests just started up. People out here think he was straight up murdered. I agree with them.

The protests just started up. People out here think he was straight up murdered. I agree with them.

Jerome Ersland went to jail (rightly) for pumping additional rounds into a guy that was already down. Whether the initial shoot was justified or not I have a hard time believing that those last two were necessary.

Jerome Ersland went to jail (rightly) for pumping additional rounds into a guy that was already down. Whether the initial shoot was justified or not I have a hard time believing that those last two were necessary.

Cops who go rogue need ADDITIONAL punishments through the court system.

We REALLY need an infusion of public trust in the cops. This cop needs his sentencing to be multiplied 5 times. IF a normal civilian would get 3 years for shooting someone in the back... this cop needs 15.

We need these rogue criminal cops to be made example of IN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM so crazy people dont try to punish them by killing them.

We need to be able to trust cops so we need SEVERELY INCREASED punishment for any cop that becomes a criminal.

~ no gun was present at the scene, and this speaks volumes about the need (or lack thereof) for deadly force during the encounter.

This is just horrible. These occurrences are becoming far too common. People will stop cooperating with the police if there is no trust.

new video was released recently

The body cams exonerate the officers. He clearly walked towards them while concealing a hand. I don't know what he thought he was doing, but he brought it on himself.

The body cams exonerate the officers. He clearly walked towards them while concealing a hand. I don't know what he thought he was doing, but he brought it on himself.

The first two seemed justified to me. The last two do not.

The first two seemed justified to me. The last two do not.

He was told to stop reaching and he kept doing it. What should the police do? Wait until he pulls a gun out and shoots at them? This isn't the old west. Cops don't have to wait for the threat to be overtly imminent. It just needs to be apparent.

He was told to stop reaching and he kept doing it. What should the police do? Wait until he pulls a gun out and shoots at them? This isn't the old west. Cops don't have to wait for the threat to be overtly imminent. It just needs to be apparent.

With 2 bullets in his chest already it's not clear that he could even comply if he wanted to. Guy's probably in lots of pain and his nervous system is probably going bat **** crazy. Do you honestly think at that point the first thing on his mind is listening to what the cop's saying?

Secondarily, and arguably more important he's on the ground with his pointed at the cops. Just how much of a threat do you think he is at that point? Just how fast do you think he can grab a weapon and get off a shot - even an inaccurate one? Seems to me at that point he's no longer a real threat and if he did have a gun and actually managed to pull it they'd have plenty of time to deal with him.

No those shots seem gratuitous.

Looks like the police may have overreacted to me.

This is especially true when their original report read:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...es-matter-protest-dylan-noble-shooting-fresno

However, from what I can see of the video the kid was laying on the ground between the pick-up and the curb when at least two of the shots were fired.

Now I can't speak for the first two shots, there is no video. However, no gun was present at the scene, and this speaks volumes about the need (or lack thereof) for deadly force during the encounter.

The person being stopped doesn't have to be armed. It just has to be possible or probable that he's armed, so that the officers feared for their safety. If a cop tells you to show your hands, but you reach behind your back, you can expect to be shot, since that is what someone with a gun would do.

With 2 bullets in his chest already it's not clear that he could even comply if he wanted to. Guy's probably in lots of pain and his nervous system is probably going bat **** crazy. Do you honestly think at that point the first thing on his mind is listening to what the cop's saying?

Secondarily, and arguably more important he's on the ground with his pointed at the cops. Just how much of a threat do you think he is at that point? Just how fast do you think he can grab a weapon and get off a shot - even an inaccurate one? Seems to me at that point he's no longer a real threat and if he did have a gun and actually managed to pull it they'd have plenty of time to deal with him.

No those shots seem gratuitous.

The human factor. This all seems reasonable, sitting in a chair in the LR thinking about it. But in the real world, everyone is dealing with people in a possible life and death situation, where there are split second reactions. People come to a situation with baggage from past experiences. That's true of people being stopped and law enforcement.

Any time an officer walks up to a traffic stop driver door, he is aware he could be suddenly shot in the face. He is on guard and on alert status. People should recognize that. He is instructing you under the authority of the law. When he says give him your license, you don't have the option of not doing so. That would then require him to do something about it. If he's going to arrest you and you don't submit, resisting arrest is against the law. Resisting arrest then requires him to do something about it. That's his job.

Young males, both cops & people being stopped, cop this macho attitude. That takes everything up a notch.

Having said all that, the cops will have a hard time explaining the extra 2 shots. Unless something else happened.

No, it is another example of when somebody seeking suicide by cop meets individual police officers of questionable competence and maturity. Though bad things tend to happen in these meetings, it does not mean the victim was murdered.

Last edited:
The human factor. This all seems reasonable, sitting in a chair in the LR thinking about it. But in the real world, everyone is dealing with people in a possible life and death situation, where there are split second reactions. People come to a situation with baggage from past experiences. That's true of people being stopped and law enforcement.

Any time an officer walks up to a traffic stop driver door, he is aware he could be suddenly shot in the face. He is on guard and on alert status. People should recognize that. He is instructing you under the authority of the law. When he says give him your license, you don't have the option of not doing so. That would then require him to do something about it. If he's going to arrest you and you don't submit, resisting arrest is against the law. Resisting arrest then requires him to do something about it. That's his job.

Young males, both cops & people being stopped, cop this macho attitude. That takes everything up a notch.

Having said all that, the cops will have a hard time explaining the extra 2 shots. Unless something else happened.

I think there is an unwritten, word of mouth policy where if a cop shoots someone SOME try to put "extra" shots into them so they cant testify against them. Dead men tale no tales. Less litigation. More money for the department. SOME put 2 in the chest because they honestly thought they might die. Others put 4 in the chest so the guy cant testify against him. If lethal force is to be used, MAKE SURE THEY DIE. Best way to nip a lawsuit in the bud if the guy happened to be unarmed is to make sure they cant testify in court.

Seen one video where the guy had NO weapon and was just standing there next to his truck. The cop saw a knife up on top of the truck bed, not in the guys hands. Took extra time to aim at the guys chest, who was simply standing there. Shot him in the heart. The guy went down. Was squirming on the floor, gasping and grabbing the hole in his chest. CLEARLY not a threat. Cop proceedes to put another 2 rounds into his chest. Dead men cant testify against you.

I think ive only seen 1 single video where the cops started shooting a guy. The guy pleaded "Why are you killing me?!?!" and the cop stopped. Most just keep on firing until the guy stops moving.

Last edited:
He lived in Fresno and he's white.

Case closed.

Although, to me, it did look like another case of stupid person vs. cop. (Why get out of the ****ing car?)

The person being stopped doesn't have to be armed. It just has to be possible or probable that he's armed, so that the officers feared for their safety. If a cop tells you to show your hands, but you reach behind your back, you can expect to be shot, since that is what someone with a gun would do.

Where did you get this idea from? Is this how officers are trained these days?

I was under the impression that a police officer, armed to enforce the law, is held to a higher standard of a duty of care than a common citizen.

That there are successive levels of force a police officer is authorized to use in the performance of his duties, and the expectation is that an officer use a level one level higher than that being presented by a suspect.

That even if they believe that deadly force is necessary, they are supposed to exercise emotional control so as to be able to recognize a real threat of deadly force before acting with deadly force.

However, what we seem to be seeing in many video presentations is that a number of these officers involved in wrongful shootings are starting at the highest level, deadly force, without any real sign that this level was necessary.

That the officer(s) involved failed to act with rational restraint and instead let adrenalin drive their actions.

Now I don't intend to assume the mantle of judge and jury, but IMO many of these incidents appear on their face to have been completely preventable.

Hand behind you, in your pocket, ignoring police, coming towards police... Darwinian death.

Honestly, I made this thread as an example of why we shouldn't jump to conclusions in these cases. Also strange that there was not as much outrage in this case prior to the release of the body cams as there was in the others. This kid clearly wanted to die from the cops as is evident by the body cams. If only our news used the same restraint in the other cases we wouldn't have many of the problems we currently do.

Where did you get this idea from? Is this how officers are trained these days?

I was under the impression that a police officer, armed to enforce the law, is held to a higher standard of a duty of care than a common citizen.

That there are successive levels of force a police officer is authorized to use in the performance of his duties, and the expectation is that an officer use a level one level higher than that being presented by a suspect.

That even if they believe that deadly force is necessary, they are supposed to exercise emotional control so as to be able to recognize a real threat of deadly force before acting with deadly force.

However, what we seem to be seeing in many video presentations is that a number of these officers involved in wrongful shootings are starting at the highest level, deadly force, without any real sign that this level was necessary.

That the officer(s) involved failed to act with rational restraint and instead let adrenalin drive their actions.

Now I don't intend to assume the mantle of judge and jury, but IMO many of these incidents appear on their face to have been completely preventable.

That's because you don't care about the Officers lives. You think everything is a ****ing TV show. Here's the truth, for everyone of these unarmed shoots, how many times does the PERP have a gun and gun down a cop? Do you even care?

Back
Top Bottom