• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'My son was murdered': father reacts to video of police shooting unarmed teen

and how are the police expected to react if they don't know if the person has a weapon or not?

Would you have them assume their was no weapon and react that way?

Let's pretend he did have a weapon(we know now he didn't, but again, for the sake of what the police have to go off of, he has a gun)

Opinion:
The way it looks to me from both angles is that kid is done after the 2 shots: incapacitated. The 3rd and 4th shots are either cowardly, or very ill conceived...****ing stupid some would say.

At some point LEO's may not be pulling anyone over because so many will be in fear for their own lives they figure they are better off shooting it out with the cops and a whole lot of cops are going to end up dead for no reason other than peoples fears.
So you are going to start shooting out our back window if you see a cop behind you?? All people of your mind set should do the same.. Better to die than live in the fear that the liberal horde professes that they have of cops.

Cops who go rogue need ADDITIONAL punishments through the court system.

We need to be able to trust cops so we need SEVERELY INCREASED punishment for any cop that becomes a criminal.
So if a cops responds to your call for help he should be very careful that the person pistol whipping you should be shot, threatened, told to stop, shamed or just left alone. He makes a mistake he gets 30 years to life but if he waits to conceder what to do you only lose an eye and hearing on one side.

This is just horrible. These occurrences are becoming far too common. People will stop cooperating with the police if there is no trust.
Isn't this guy dead because he wasn't cooperating??

That's because you don't care about the Officers lives. You think everything is a ****ing TV show. Here's the truth, for everyone of these unarmed shoots, how many times does the PERP have a gun and gun down a cop? Do you even care?
No; the liberal horde held a moment of silence for the thug that killed the cops in Dallas.

NO gun present? Different story, and no amount of appeals to emotion can change that.
How can the cops know that an angry person walking toward them with his hands behind them doesn't have a gun????????????

The first person in Texas killed by a person with a CCL was shot through the heart at point blank range with a 9mm hand gun and he lived for three minutes. Which means that a person with a gun behind his back could shoot two, three or all of the four cops before he went down. mike Brown didn't stop charging the cop until a bullet hit his pea sixed brain.

Your argument is basically saying that if you don't immediately comply with an officer's demand, your life should be forfeit. This is, of course, both false and ludicrous.
That is right; because as you can see that it only takes a split second for a cop to get shot to death.
While i empathize for the sacrifices that police officers routinely endure, i reject such an authoritarian police state.
Go ahead and reject the threat to the police and the wisdom of showing your hand..

He was told to stop reaching and he kept doing it. What should the police do? Wait until he pulls a gun out and shoots at them? This isn't the old west. Cops don't have to wait for the threat to be overtly imminent. It just needs to be apparent.

I don't think people are going to have a problem with that. I think what they will have a problem with is the extra 2 shots after he was down. I know I do.

I don't think people are going to have a problem with that. I think what they will have a problem with is the extra 2 shots after he was down. I know I do.

Of course you do. You watch too much ****ing TV.

"Oh those two EXTRA SHOTS!!! Me, at my keyboard, watching a video, removed from the situation, with no training or on the ground understanding... HOW DARE THEY!!! Why my favorite officer on Chicago PD, he NEVER fires more than is needed to wound! Why if an officer isn't that well trained and perfect, he's a damned criminal!!!"

The hells is wrong with you people?

You have a perp that you were just forced to shoot, training says neutralize the threat. You suddenly find yourself, with a huge adrenaline flood, tense situation and a target that is still "reaching" for their waistband. Training is automatic. Threat is is not obeying, threat is still a threat = shoot.

Sure, in hindsight, one could make a valid argument that those last shots were not needed to subdue the threat. We have the advantages of time, safety more information. Officers erring on the side of training, it's not their fault they had to fire, this young man made poor choices. They didn't act in malice, they did as training dictates.

Come on, let's be serious about this okay?

I live in this general area, Made local news quite a bit, The original phone video was released right away ( showing the last 2 shots) and things were a little tense in Fresno, A few protests, but police presence was solid so all remained peaceful, After the release of the full video it quieted down real fast..

Listened to a local radio talk show after the full video was released, Most were convinced that the shooting was justified.. But a lot also questioned the last 2 shots.

The police officers gave over 30 commands to the young kid and he failed to most if not all of them, Just before they shot him the kid said "I hate my life"

The whole escalation of the encounter was the kids fault ( and his fault alone) when they shot the 3rd and 4th time he was reaching under his shirt,, He may have been reaching for the wounds, but his hand was under his shirt.

djl

Then you weren't paying attention. CA noted that the police is expected to treat a situation involving a gun differently than one without. Renae implied that cops should assume all situations have guns because criminals can surprise people with them.

A cop SHOULD approach every situation as if he's going to meet physical harm. It's a practical way to stay alive and falls into the "trust but verify" category.

A cop SHOULD approach every situation as if he's going to meet physical harm. It's a practical way to stay alive and falls into the "trust but verify" category.

That's true, but their caution cannot always justify the collateral damage that results.

That's true, but their caution cannot always justify the collateral damage that results.

It doesn't. That's why cops are prosecuted every year for unlawful use of force.

The video LOOKS like an incident of "suicide by cop". If it wasnt, it was an incident of "extreme ****ing dumbass that received an expected natural consequence".

~ The police officers gave over 30 commands to the young kid and he failed to most if not all of them, Just before they shot him the kid said "I hate my life" ~

Were there any checks for mental health problems?

To deliberately walk towards armed police and repeatedly ignore their orders doesn't sound a sane decision so I ask myself how mental health issues are dealt with.

Were there any checks for mental health problems?

To deliberately walk towards armed police and repeatedly ignore their orders doesn't sound a sane decision so I ask myself how mental health issues are dealt with.

I don't think they have that at their finger tips,, All they had was him name ( via police radio)

djl

The shotgun to the torso while he's done seems a bit much

The shotgun to the torso while he's done seems a bit much

Its called "Execution" and the cop needs to go to prison for it. If a non-cop would have done this he would be in prison already.

Back
Top Bottom