• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Son Knows His Father Wasn’t a ‘Loser’ or a ‘Sucker’

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My Son Knows His Father Wasn’t a ‘Loser’ or a ‘Sucker’ | The New York Times

Jordan lost his father in Iraq. He knows his father was a warrior and a patriot. But the words hurt nevertheless.

b0b49471fd724789bab50c353d02f995.jpeg

9/4/20
I struggled for the words to comfort Jordan, my 14-year-old son. He had come into my room and heard a snippet of a news report that President Trump had called fallen soldiers “suckers” and “losers” — soldiers like Jordan’s father and my fiancé, First Sgt. Charles Monroe King. He was killed in Iraq in October 2006, when Jordan was 6 months old. “Mom, is he talking about my dad?” Jordan asked, his eyes searching and his forehead furrowed in confusion. My son reads me well, and so it took every ounce of my strength not to physically react. “What do we care what anyone thinks,” I said and made a swatting gesture. “We know the truth about your dad’s heroism.” I have spent Jordan’s childhood filling in the blanks, making sure that he knew his father, as a soldier and as a man. But I had never expected that I would need to remind my son of his dad’s honor and sacrifice. I had tried to shield Jordan from this news, which broke in The Atlantic on Thursday, while working through my own anger and pain — sensations so palpable that I became nauseated and short of breath. I thought, too, about all the other Gold Star families who must be confused and hurt by even the possibility that the president had made those insulting and incendiary remarks. “Don’t lean in to this latest loop on the Trump roller coaster,” I told myself. “It never stops.”

“He shouldn’t say that,” Jordan said. “My dad was a hero.” It is hard enough for Gold Star children to heal from the wound of losing a parent. Never should they have to endure the pain of anyone picking at the scar that eventually forms over it. I can only speak for my boy and myself, and certainly not for other military families, but here is what I would advise President Trump: Go on television immediately, from the Oval Office, and speak directly to these Gold Star children. If you want, deny that you said those awful things. But tell them you are sorry anyway. Say that no child should ever think that the commander in chief would utter such hurtful lies. Tell them that their mom or dad — or anyone who has made the ultimate sacrifice — is more of a hero than you will ever be. Humble yourself. If Mr. Trump had it in his heart to extend his empathy to all the Gold Star adults who are suffering as well, that would be great. But he must speak to our children. I asked Jordan who he thought had shown more patriotism for the country we love — his father or the man who may well consider him a loser. “My dad,” he said, and proudly smiled.

It breaks the heart knowing that all of our Gold Star families ... parents, widows, sons, and daughters, are hurting even more today.

The media is truly the enemy of the people. More so than any foreign adversary.

Lugenpresse..........has a familiar ring to it!

On the contrary, the more they shine the light, the better...

On the contrary, the more they shine the light, the better...

I'm not so sure about the above, when in fact there's some pretty concrete proof out there that proves Trump loves the military.
IMO, the Atlantic article was a calculated attempt to paint the CIC as a big meanie (ssdd propaganda)

... Most of his base, and those already committed to seeing him reelected know what this is about; campaign smearing.

I'm not so sure about the above, when in fact there's some pretty concrete proof out there that proves Trump loves the military.
IMO, the Atlantic article was a calculated attempt to paint the CIC as a big meanie (ssdd propaganda)

... Most of his base, and those already committed to seeing him reelected know what this is about; campaign smearing.

LOL.... Have you read the Atlantic article?

LOL.... Have you read the Atlantic article?

It doesn't matter neither does the what 6 others confirming the report nor the history. Nothing matters, remember don't believe your eyes and ears.

Which "people"? Trump people?

Occam says you are all fools.

the nut job media, yes

main stream media is an indispensable tool to advance freedom

I do not put much faith in articles who use unnamed sources. The Atlantic article and the article that refutes the Atlantic uses unnamed sources.

If I was the parent of the kid the OP article I would have pointed out that the article may or may not be correct. I would have told him if it is true, the President has done a disservice to the country. If it is not true the Atlantic and any other media has done a disservice to the country by promoting a false statement. Just know your (dad) loved you, served the country well and with honor. Doesn't matter what others say.

I do not put much faith in articles who use unnamed sources. The Atlantic article and the article that refutes the Atlantic uses unnamed sources.

If I was the parent of the kid the OP article I would have pointed out that the article may or may not be correct. I would have told him if it is true, the President has done a disservice to the country. If it is not true the Atlantic and any other media has done a disservice to the country by promoting a false statement. Just know your (dad) loved you, served the country well and with honor. Doesn't matter what others say.

Given the willingness of Trump’s supporters to excuse and defend violence against those they see as their political enemies, I wouldn’t put my name out there either. Why risk your family getting sent a mail bomb or heavily armed “protesters” showing up outside your house just itching for a chance to “defend themselves” by shooting you?

Given the willingness of Trump’s supporters to excuse and defend violence against those they see as their political enemies, I wouldn’t put my name out there either. Why risk your family getting sent a mail bomb or heavily armed “protesters” showing up outside your house just itching for a chance to “defend themselves” by shooting you?

Bit dramatic on your part. (I got that from an unnamed source). :mrgreen:

I just don't put much faith in unnamed sources unless other evidence backs up the persons statement. Especially when it comes to politics.

Bit dramatic on your part. (I got that from an unnamed source). :mrgreen:

I just don't put much faith in unnamed sources unless other evidence backs up the persons statement. Especially when it comes to politics.

Not really. All those conservatives defending Rittenhouse really made it clear how little they think the lives of anyone who doesn’t politically agree with them matter.

Multiple news stations have confirmed the report at this point. When you add that with Trump’s history of attacking the military(“I like people who weren’t captured”, his attacks on Mattis, etc)..... there simply isn’t a compelling reason to think that he wouldn’t make such despicable comments.

Look at what happened to Vindman. He told the truth under oath and lost his career. He's not the only one. When Trump is whooped in November, there will be a whole lot of payback.

Most of it will be aimed at the republican enablers of the moron in chief.

Not really. All those conservatives defending Rittenhouse really made it clear how little they think the lives of anyone who doesn’t politically agree with them matter.

Multiple news stations have confirmed the report at this point. When you add that with Trump’s history of attacking the military(“I like people who weren’t captured”, his attacks on Mattis, etc)..... there simply isn’t a compelling reason to think that he wouldn’t make such despicable comments.

In another thread I have stated based on Trump's past statements it is more likely he did say what the Atlantic sources said he did.

Back
Top Bottom