• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My son asked me about Santa just now

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
My 9-year-old son came up to me before bedtime with a serious expression on his face and said, “Daddy, I have a question about Santa and I want you to tell me the truth.”

Oh boy, here we go, I thought. So I replied, “sure, what is it?”

“Does Santa Clause have diabetes?”

:shock:

“Why do you ask?”

“Because I know he is overweight and he eats all of those cookies. And I don’t think they have diabetes shots in the North Pole.”

So I dodged a bullet there, but now it looks like we will be leaving a healthier alternative than cookies for Santa this year.

My 9-year-old son came up to me before bedtime with a serious expression on his face and said, “Daddy, I have a question about Santa and I want you to tell me the truth.”

“Why do you ask?l

“Because I know he is overweight and he eats all of those cookies. And I don’t think they have diabetes shots in the North Pole.”

So I dodged a bullet there, but now it looks like we will be leaving a healthier alternative than cookies for Santa this year.

I heard Santa loves a nice salad!

Very sweet story. Hope your son's Christmas is wonderful.

“Why do you ask?”

you are either really fortunate to have such an innocent son or that nine year old is ****ing with you

“Why do you ask?”

:lol:

That is just too adorable!

“Why do you ask?”

Aww what a nice thought from him. I guess your late Christmas eve snack will be sugar free. Thanks for sharing....:)

Oh boy, here we go, thought. So I replied, “sure, what is it?”

“Why do you ask?l

Well as to his actual question, I would remind him that Santa is supposed to be. Magical being, so things like diabetes don't affect him.

As to the inevitable question, when they finally ask, we talk to them about the spirit of giving and that Santa is the personification of that, and how we are all Santa in that aspect. When asked why they weren't told this earlier, we pointed out, honestly, on how younger children don't grasp more complex ideas so simpler explanations are given. That last part is a lot easier when they have younger siblings.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

you are either really fortunate to have such an innocent son or that nine year old is ****ing with you

Yeah, I think he is intentionally suspending his disbelief. His older brother was being annoying and told him there was no Santa a few months ago and his response was, “why are you trying to destroy my childhood?” :)

Yeah, I think he is intentionally suspending his disbelief. His older brother was being annoying and told him there was no Santa a few months ago and his response was, “why are you trying to destroy my childhood?” :)

He was messing with you. He trolled you. He was snickering while you bumbled and stumbled on a red herring.

I wouldn't let someone get away with that. How you gonna get 'm back?

He was messing with you. He trolled you. He was snickering while you bumbled and stumbled on a red herring.

I wouldn't let someone get away with that. How you gonna get 'm back?

Cat poop as his stocking stuffers?

Cat poop as his stocking stuffers?

And his brother too. He went and told his brother, they had a good laugh, no one filled you in. I'd get them.

My girls did that **** for years, Bob. When they finally laughed and admitted they knew he wasn't real, I asked them why they didn't tell me sooner. I mean, hell. I went to so much trouble, buying the special Santa gift, with special wrapping paper and bows (because one year I used the same stuff and they caught it). We left out cookies and milk. We left out carrots for Rudolph, and reindeer food in the front yard. They answered, "Well, Santa always got us extra special presents, so if we told you we didn't believe, we might not get that present." :lol:

My girls did that **** for years, Bob. When they finally laughed and admitted they knew he wasn't real, I asked them why they didn't tell me sooner. I mean, hell. I went to so much trouble, buying the special Santa gift, with special wrapping paper and bows (because one year I used the same stuff and they caught it). We left out cookies and milk. We left out carrots for Rudolph, and reindeer food in the front yard. They answered, "Well, Santa always got us extra special presents, so if we told you we didn't believe, we might not get that present." :lol:

We fool them them for a few years, and then they fool us. It is all part of the fun. :)

We fool them them for a few years, and then they fool us. It is all part of the fun. :)

I laughed as hard as they did when they admitted it. Then I locked myself in the bathroom and cried a little. It was a fun part of Christmas that has now passed.

I laughed as hard as they did when they admitted it. Then I locked myself in the bathroom and cried a little. It was a fun part of Christmas that has now passed.

It is funny you mentioned using the same wrapping paper one year. When my Mom made that same mistake one year that was what confirmed my own suspicions.

smart girls

don't let on about the easter bunny, however

It is funny you mentioned using the same wrapping paper one year. When my Mom made that same mistake one year that was what confirmed my own suspicions.

Yeah it was the same with the Easter Bunny. Had to hide all the wrappings, etc. Kids are sharper than we give them credit for.

smart girls

don't let on about the easter bunny, however

My youngest told me she hadn't believed in the Easter Bunny in years. I said, "No?" and she said, "Mom. An 8 foot tall white rabbit walking around leaving candy and stuffed animals in our bedrooms? No. Just no. Not only is it not believable, it's creepy." :lol:

I think many children "believe" in spite of their own questions. Enjoy it while it lasts.

“Why do you ask?”

Leave it to a kid....... Great story especially close to Christmas!!

I found the presents up the attic. I almost ruined it on myself. Mom was smart enough to come up with a good story. We had no chimney so Santa dropped them off early for her to put them under the tree on Christmas. If I told anyone he might come and take them back. Not a peep to my younger sister. But as soon as I started school the older kids ruined it once and for all.

I found the presents up the attic. I almost ruined it on myself. Mom was smart enough to come up with a good story. We had no chimney so Santa dropped them off early for her to put them under the tree on Christmas. If I told anyone he might come and take them back. Not a peep to my younger sister. But as soon as I started school the older kids ruined it once and for all.

when i figured it out (at about 26 if i remember correctly) the folks played the big brother card
being in on the secret and keeping it from my 4 year younger kid brother was almost as much fun as believing
it became my job to keep the ruse alive
good times

“Why do you ask?”

Sounds like something his mom might of put him up to in order to get you eat healthier

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My youngest told me she hadn't believed in the Easter Bunny in years. I said, "No?" and she said, "Mom. An 8 foot tall white rabbit walking around leaving candy and stuffed animals in our bedrooms? No. Just no. Not only is it not believable, it's creepy." :lol:

Shhh.. that wasn't the easter bunny , that was Harvey, the pooka.

Back
Top Bottom