• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

My solution for eliminating our oil dependency.

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
OK I got an Idea on how we can end our dependency on oil right now. The big problems with hydrogen fuel cells are the high costs of creating hydrogen and the fact that it takes other sources of fuel eg oil, coal, etc, to create it. So it's this catch 22 that I have a solution for, we should use nuclear power to create hydrogen, we now have the most effecient and cleanest form of power in the history of the world and if we use it to create hydrogen it would eliminate the high cost and the problem with using other fuel to create it and this, I think, would totally eliminate our dependency on oil, now this would entale creating more nuclear power reactors, the question is: will the same environmentalists who complain about global warming and CFC's allow us to create these new reactors? . . . I think not. We now have at our disposal the solution to oil dependency, what we lack is the will to use it.

The coorporations who are selling oil will not let that happen..... They are the ones running government...... Oh wait Chaney is not getting kickbacks from his old job im sorry..... BS. Do your homework.

Youve Got To Be Kidding! said:
The coorporations who are selling oil will not let that happen..... They are the ones running government...... Oh wait Chaney is not getting kickbacks from his old job im sorry..... BS. Do your homework.

Are these the same corporations who stopped the water fueled car from coming out and repressed cold fusion? LOL, sorry but the corporations are the greatest contributors to the field of hydrogen fuel cell research, there's alot of money to be made in it, that's the reason why eventually we're going to get off of the oil dependency, the freemarket solves alot of the worlds problems, hunger disease, etc. etc., not because they care, but because there's money in it for them and what the hell is wrong with that?

I'm not so sure that building Nuclear Power Plants all over the place is such a good idea. That would have to happen in order to suffienctly create the amount of Hydrogen needed to satisfy the American populace. Another problem, might be the OPEC countries. They wouldn't seem too happy if they lost their biggest customer. I doubt they could do anything about it, but it could add some advasaries.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
OK I got an Idea on how we can end our dependency on oil right now. The big problems with hydrogen fuel cells are the high costs of creating hydrogen and the fact that it takes other sources of fuel eg oil, coal, etc, to create it. So it's this catch 22 that I have a solution for, we should use nuclear power to create hydrogen, we now have the most effecient and cleanest form of power in the history of the world and if we use it to create hydrogen it would eliminate the high cost and the problem with using other fuel to create it and this, I think, would totally eliminate our dependency on oil, now this would entale creating more nuclear power reactors, the question is: will the same environmentalists who complain about global warming and CFC's allow us to create these new reactors? . . . I think not. We now have at our disposal the solution to oil dependency, what we lack is the will to use it.

We could start by building about 200,000 windmills across the nation......

government-mandated biodiesel engines by say.....2009.......

Build some Solar Energy plants in our deserts....

Install solar panels in homes and buildings.....

Arch Enemy said:
I'm not so sure that building Nuclear Power Plants all over the place is such a good idea. That would have to happen in order to suffienctly create the amount of Hydrogen needed to satisfy the American populace. Another problem, might be the OPEC countries. They wouldn't seem too happy if they lost their biggest customer. I doubt they could do anything about it, but it could add some advasaries.

F*****G OPEC would be the icing on the cake! lol

MiamiFlorida said:
We could start by building about 200,000 windmills across the nation......

government-mandated biodiesel engines by say.....2009.......

Build some Solar Energy plants in our deserts....

Install solar panels in homes and buildings.....

I think the most underrated source of natural power is tidal current plants if we built more it would help alot too. However, I'm not sure if natural power would be enough to produce the amount of hydrogen necessary to end oil usage.

Du pont is about to finish something to due with hydrogen. For the life of me, I don't remember.

Nano-solar panels covering an area the size of New york could power the US grid

there is enough wind power on our plains to power the US grid

We sit on enough coal that in 10 years it will be effcient enough (and safe enough) to convert coal into oil, a temporary solution

Nuclear fusion is in a testing stage, it may be ready by 2015

Can't nanotech quite literally make things out of nothing?

Just some ideas...

Hydrogen is an extremely impractical source of fuel. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people are still talking about it. I previously posted this, and don't feel like re-writing it:

Kelzie said:
1. Hydrogen is not naturally occurring in nature. It must be manufactured.

2. There are several methods of producing hydrogen. The most popular the electrolysis of water, which is basically running a current through water. The problem is a) that the vast majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, and b) this procedure uses just as much energy as it produces.

3. Another method is producing hydrogen from hydrocarbon fuel (such as natural gas or biomass waste), but it produces CO2, and is very costly.

4. Maybe, maybe, we will find a way to produce hydrogen in a energy-efficient way. It would still be an incredible impractical source of fuel for several reasons.

5. The only way for hydrogen to be practically used to fuel a car is if it is in a liquid state. If it is in a gas state, it would take up a ridiculous amount of volume to make a car go any amount of distance.

7. Even in a liquid state, to get the same amount of energy out of your gas tank, a hydrogen tank would have to be 8 times the size of a normal tank.

8. No big deal right? We can deal with 8 times right? The warmest temp that hydrogen will be in a liquid form is -240 degrees C. No matter what pressure it's at. Of course, if it's not a pressurized tank, it will have to be much colder to keep hydrogen in a liquid form. But we will assume, for a minute, that the tanks are pressurized enough. Negative two hundred and forty degrees CELSIUS!!! We're talking some MAJOR technological break throughs before cars are able to lug around some sort of refridgeration system that can keep the tank that cold.

9. Last problem. Ruptures. I don't care if it's in the tank, in the pipes, whatever. Hydrogen gas is explosive with as little as 5% oxygen. And since it is so much more powerful that gasoline, a ruptured tank would mean a fireball capable of destroying anything within several hundred meters.

128shot said:
Du pont is about to finish something to due with hydrogen. For the life of me, I don't remember.

Nano-solar panels covering an area the size of New york could power the US grid

there is enough wind power on our plains to power the US grid

We sit on enough coal that in 10 years it will be effcient enough (and safe enough) to convert coal into oil, a temporary solution

Nuclear fusion is in a testing stage, it may be ready by 2015

Can't nanotech quite literally make things out of nothing?

Just some ideas...

I'm not a technophobe but to be honest nanotech scares the **** out of me.

Kelzie said:
Hydrogen is an extremely impractical source of fuel. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people are still talking about it. I previously posted this, and don't feel like re-writing it:

Umm CFC'S or water vapor? France has more reactors than the U.S.

Umm CFC'S or water vapor? France has more reactors than the U.S.

Not quite sure what you are talking about here. France has more nuclear reactors than the US. What's your point? And what do chlorofluorocarbons have to do with any of this?

Kelzie said:
Not quite sure what you are talking about here. France has more nuclear reactors than the US. What's your point? And what do chlorofluorocarbons have to do with any of this?

Well, aren't the CFC's the problem with combustible engines and fossil fuels I may be wrong but I think they are, enlighten me if I'm wrong?

If a country the size of one state has more reactors than the entire continental U.S. couldn't it be construde that we are behind the game?

Well, aren't the CFC's the problem with combustible engines and fossil fuels I may be wrong but I think they are, enlighten me if I'm wrong?

If a country the size of one state has more reactors than the entire continental U.S. couldn't it be construde that we are behind the game?

No, you're right...they are one of the problems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you were extolling the virtues of hydrogen energy. That was what I was replying to.

And you're right. France gets around 80 % of their electricity from nuclear. We are behind on the times, and it will come back to bite us in the ass.

Kelzie said:
No, you're right...they are one of the problems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you were extolling the virtues of hydrogen energy. That was what I was replying to.

And you're right. France gets around 80 % of their electricity from nuclear. We are behind on the times, and it will come back to bite us in the ass.

No, you were right upon closer inspection CFC's are from automobile air conditioners and not exhaust so replacing fossil fuels with hydrogen wouldn't solve the air conditioning problem, but still exhaust has polutents in it too though.

No, you were right upon closer inspection CFC's are from automobile air conditioners and not exhaust so replacing fossil fuels with hydrogen wouldn't solve the air conditioning problem, but still exhaust has polutents in it too though.

What? Did you read my post? We CANNOT use hydrogen for fuel.

Kelzie said:
What? Did you read my post? We CANNOT use hydrogen for fuel.

Why? Do you think that the excess water vapor will change the earths climate? While that's a serious concern and the only one that I've given any credibility towards not using hydrogen, I think water vapor is better than the current smoke pooring out of the mufflers.

Why? Do you think that the excess water vapor will change the earths climate? While that's a serious concern and the only one that I've given any credibility towards not using hydrogen, I think water vapor is better than the current smoke pooring out of the mufflers.

Man, I go through all the effort of digging through my posts to find this one, and you don't even read it. Do so carefully. I don't mention water vapor once.

Kelzie said:
1. Hydrogen is not naturally occurring in nature. It must be manufactured.

2. There are several methods of producing hydrogen. The most popular the electrolysis of water, which is basically running a current through water. The problem is a) that the vast majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, and b) this procedure uses just as much energy as it produces.

3. Another method is producing hydrogen from hydrocarbon fuel (such as natural gas or biomass waste), but it produces CO2, and is very costly.

4. Maybe, maybe, we will find a way to produce hydrogen in a energy-efficient way. It would still be an incredible impractical source of fuel for several reasons.

5. The only way for hydrogen to be practically used to fuel a car is if it is in a liquid state. If it is in a gas state, it would take up a ridiculous amount of volume to make a car go any amount of distance.

7. Even in a liquid state, to get the same amount of energy out of your gas tank, a hydrogen tank would have to be 8 times the size of a normal tank.

8. No big deal right? We can deal with 8 times right? The warmest temp that hydrogen will be in a liquid form is -240 degrees C. No matter what pressure it's at. Of course, if it's not a pressurized tank, it will have to be much colder to keep hydrogen in a liquid form. But we will assume, for a minute, that the tanks are pressurized enough. Negative two hundred and forty degrees CELSIUS!!! We're talking some MAJOR technological break throughs before cars are able to lug around some sort of refridgeration system that can keep the tank that cold.

9. Last problem. Ruptures. I don't care if it's in the tank, in the pipes, whatever. Hydrogen gas is explosive with as little as 5% oxygen. And since it is so much more powerful that gasoline, a ruptured tank would mean a fireball capable of destroying anything within several hundred meters.

As for the post hooking hydrogen to nuke reactors will solve the problems of high cost, hydrogen's not naturally occuring but it's waste product h20 is

Are you saying that hydrogen is a waste product from nuclear reactors? I've never heard of that. Where did you learn it from?

That's the whole point of my original post, to reduce cost of hydrogen production, and for the volume of hydrogen and the size of the gas tank it is very possible just to put it in the trunk, or any one of a number of designs to fit the gas tank into the car, shoot they could design it so that the tanks under the car, if it's a design flaw and not a cost flaw there is certainly a solution for it, you know?

That's the whole point of my original post, to reduce cost of hydrogen production, and for the volume of hydrogen and the size of the gas tank it is very possible just to put it in the trunk, or any one of a number of designs to fit the gas tank into the car, shoot they could design it so that the tanks under the car, if it's a design flaw and not a cost flaw there is certainly a solution for it, you know?

And the solution to the fact that it has to be kept at negative 270 degrees celsius? Or the fact that is is extremely combustable? Or that at the present moment it costs as much energy as we get to produce hydrogen?

Kelzie said:
Are you saying that hydrogen is a waste product from nuclear reactors? I've never heard of that. Where did you learn it from?

No read my first post the whole point is to reduce the cost of hydrogen PRODUCTION, through the use of uranium fission, umm I can't really explain it any better, it's actually quite simple.

Kelzie said:
And the solution to the fact that it has to be kept at negative 270 degrees celsius? Or the fact that is is extremely combustable? Or that at the present moment it costs as much energy as we get to produce hydrogen?

Both design flaws that can be overcome, remember gas is also highly combustible. Energy deficiency could be overcome through the use of reactors.

Both design flaws that can be overcome, remember gas is also highly combustible. Energy deficiency could be overcome through the use of reactors.

Argh!!! Negative 240 Celsius is not a design flaw. That is negative 400 degrees Fahrenheit! In your car. At all times. And hydrogen is combustable with like 5% oxygen. It would eliminate the need for ambulances at accidents though, because all that would be left is a giant crater!!

Back
Top Bottom