• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

My Opinion

OrIgInAl_ReBeL04

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I really don't care what people do(or not do, LoL). They can do whatever they want. They are Americans and they also live in this so-called Free Country. They deserve to be happy, too! :2dance:

that is, by far, the most stupid and irrational opinion i've ever heard.

I want to kill somebody. Let's say I kill your mother, or your sister. Would you care? Let's say i want to go get drunk. Then, I decide to go driving around. Whoa whoa, i end up hitting a 13 year old girl riding a bike, who happens to be your little cousin. Still not care?

Let's say I have sex with your sister, she gets pregnant, and I make her have an abortion. Care yet?

How about I decide to smoke weed, and as I drive past your house, I throw out the roach and it lands in a pile of paper. The paper catches fire, and your house burns down.

Saying you don't care is, in my opinion, the stupidest thing you can do. The odds of any of the above happening to you may be slim to none, but it happens to some people. :roll:

geek said:
that is, by far, the most stupid and irrational opinion i've ever heard.

I want to kill somebody. Let's say I kill your mother, or your sister. Would you care? Let's say i want to go get drunk. Then, I decide to go driving around. Whoa whoa, i end up hitting a 13 year old girl riding a bike, who happens to be your little cousin. Still not care?

Let's say I have sex with your sister, she gets pregnant, and I make her have an abortion. Care yet?

How about I decide to smoke weed, and as I drive past your house, I throw out the roach and it lands in a pile of paper. The paper catches fire, and your house burns down.

Saying you don't care is, in my opinion, the stupidest thing you can do. The odds of any of the above happening to you may be slim to none, but it happens to some people. :roll:
OrIgInAl_ReBeL04 said:
I really don't care what people do(or not do, LoL). They can do whatever they want. They are Americans and they also live in this so-called Free Country. They deserve to be happy, too! :2dance:
as much as i agree with your comment geek, because what the so called "original" rebel said is pretty dumb , but for you to say oh what if i had sex with your sister and make her have an abortion well thats equally dumb.
now tell me how do you MAKE someone have an abortion , this of course coming from someone who i am taking the guess by saying your pro-life, and as far as these situations that you throw out there , yes they could happen but they are based on your choices so if your saying you are wreckless enough to actually do half of those things than by all means that would terrify any girl to make her have an abortion

Er. I wasn't saying I would do them. I was throwing the situation out there, because regardless of how I stand on issues, other people don't care. They'll do whatever they want for a good time.

How do you make someone have an abortion? There are a lot of ways. First off, most (and i say that loosely, don't jump on me for it) girls are easily intimidated by guys, and will do whatever to please them. Step into a high school and you see it everyday.

Second, theres abuse. If Jim-Bob doesn't want a kid, but had a good time and knocked a girl up, if Mary-Sue refuses to get an abortion, what do you think Jim-Bob is left with? Either have the kid and take responsibility, or beat the hell out of her and not worry about it. Or even worse, murder her. It happens, bud.

These aren't based on choices I would ever make, they're situations that happen every day that devestate lives of innocent people.

really geek , hmm women are intimidated by men , wow because your ideas aren't old fashioned , and as far as these happening everyday i'm sure they happen, but at the level you speak of i don't doubt it i just don't here about it every day. Is it an issue , im going to bed for the night , but please leave comments because i will be on as soon as i wake up tomorrow and i will be fired up for a good debate tomorrow. and on a bit of a side non political note , coming to madison , Ohio this summer in august

geek:

Let's get something straight, pardon the pun. All the opposing examples you stated cause harm and/or create victims. Homosexuality and gay marriage do not. That's the difference here.
We allow interracial marriage because it was found to not create harm to anyone. We allow women to vote because it does not harm anyone. We allow blacks to attend schools with whites because it does not cause harm.

But if you take each one of my examples and turn them around to their opposite, harm and victims are indeed created.
This holds true with the denial of access to equal marriage rights to gay/lesbian couples.

Justine: Wrong thread.

Justice: Just because you don't hear of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And whether or not my views are old fashioned, they're true. It's not my fault you're oblivious to the truth.

geek said:

Justice: Just because you don't hear of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And whether or not my views are old fashioned, they're true. It's not my fault you're oblivious to the truth.

Now you're just being insulting. What I posted was directed at your comments, or hadn't you noticed that?
I'm not suprised really. All so often those who rally against gay rights will undoubtedly turn a blind eye to what is right there in front of them.

geek said:

Well alright justine_credible is right you are being insulting , she is in the perfectly right thread because what she writes is right on the money and you have no right to tell her any different. This site is to voice your opinion on matters in politics , the constitution , gay marraige, abortion, and a number of other topics , not to criticize people for what they say or believe in. I think your views are old fashioned, that doesn't mean i criticize what you believe in. I think we are all entitled to what we want to say but just because we can say anything doesn't mean we should, and as far as me being oblivious to the truth i think the word "truth" is used to much in this day and age. Truth has no bearing anymore because everyones idea of the truth seems to conflict with everyone elses. In my opinion , see my opinion, truth is the accepted views and ideas that you hold. Instead of saying truth we should say personal truth because personally all people will have a different opinion then everyone else and personally your starting to , like justine said before, be insulting and that is not the way to go about getting your opinions across. If you want to make a point and get across then do that. You don't need to insult anyone to make us listen more , I can only speak for me but i think justine will take the time to read what you have to say to because she doesn't seem like the kind of person to speak and not listen. I know i'm not, I make comments about subjects and other people read them so i will read what you write if you write it. It only becomes an
"issue"(there's that word again) when you start to insult what people write to either get your point across, or make yourself feel better, and this isn't the time or place to boost self esteem though i believe you think it is.

geek:

If I'm in the wrong thread, enlighten me. How are my comments not directed towards yours?

You stated your opinion, I countered it. Seems completely in line to me...obviously your opinion on that differs...please show me how.

i didn't actually mean that i don't care. what i meant was that people can do whatever they like. I feel that God gave them the choice to be with who they want, so why shouldn't they be able to do whatever they want. That was what i meant. I didn't mean to offend u if i did. Sincerely, Rebel

rebel your words serve you well and at first i personally thought u were one of those people with the no care attitude but i took your meaning completely out of context. I think geek is the person who seems to use words and the things that people say to make himself or herself feel better and not actually get anything done . see thats me being insulting

LOL. But everybody has an opinion and i will respect everybodies(even if they say some whaked out thing). But i really do care. It's just that i don't stick my nose in other peoples buisness. what they do is what they do. luv, rebel

I don't know why everyone is all of a sudden so up on getting a federal law for gay rights...the issue has always been a states issue, and should always stay that way. The GOP has been concentrating too much on issues that aren't the most important...they need to stick to the ones that matter most...

Hornburger said:
I don't know why everyone is all of a sudden so up on getting a federal law for gay rights...the issue has always been a states issue, and should always stay that way. The GOP has been concentrating too much on issues that aren't the most important...they need to stick to the ones that matter most...

What part of Loving Vs. Virginia and/or The Fourteenth Amendment are you unclear on?

It's really not a States' issue at all. No matter what :spin: is put on it.

The law of gay marriage is still determined on the state, not federal level...

Hornburger said:
The law of gay marriage is still determined on the state, not federal level...

That's only because of DOMA which still has yet to be tested by SCOTUS or found to be as unconstitutional as it really is.

Wait...what does DOMA have to do with having the issue being on a state or federal level?

Hornburger said:
Wait...what does DOMA have to do with having the issue being on a state or federal level?

Ok, obviously the concept went zooming right over your head. So, I'll try to simplify it for you.

The 1996 Defence of Marriage Act (DOMA) is the law of the land. DOMA means no state shall have to recognize marriages or civil unions from another state. There is no case before any court in America challenging the Defence of Marriage Act.

It also means that even if certain states do in fact allow gays to marry that their marriages can and will not be recognized on a federal level, nor can they be portable from one state to another.

Convenient ONLY when the GOP wants to use it.

The Washington Court of Appeals has upheld a lower court ruling that same-sex couples are subject to the same principles as married couples in disputes over joint assets when they break up.

When the 10-year relationship between Julia Robertson and Linda Gormley ended in 2003 Gormley went to court seeking a division of assets. In November '04, Superior Court Judge Heather Van Nuys ruled that the couple`s relationship was "sufficiently marriage-like to provide equitable relief."

In her ruling Van Nuys called the couple`s relationship an "intimate domestic partnership," allowing both women the same property rights given to a husband and wife in a divorce.

Van Nuys said the women must divide their assets equally -- a decision that amounted to a divorce in a state that does not recognize same-sex marriage. Washington has a Defence of Marriage Act in place that also prevents recognition of domestic partners.

Ain't that just so danged "Convenient"?

ohh...I see...thanks for the explanation...yeah, since it's not portable from one state or the other and not recognized by the federal government, I can see why people want a federal law for it...

But I still think the GOP needs to concentrate on more important issues...lol

Hornburger said:
ohh...I see...thanks for the explanation...yeah, since it's not portable from one state or the other and not recognized by the federal government, I can see why people want a federal law for it...

But I still think the GOP needs to concentrate on more important issues...lol

Glad to have been of some assistance there for ya.
Yeah, I happen to agree that indeed the GOP needs to worry more at the moment about how to get our soliers home without creating a more unstable situation in Iraq, and other things just as pressing.
But one cannot deny the seriousness of the gay marriage issue as well.

There's just a lot all going on at one time. If it's not Iraq or Bin Ladden (which btw, we still have never found) it's gay marriage or Social Security.

hornburger, well the GOP would start working on more so called important issues , but unfortunetly they won't because what they consider important and what america considers important are two different things. I feel like everytime i turn on the news there is a something about the war , the war, the war and people saying that I should support the war because the soldiers are fighting for our freedom , last time i checked there was no dictator trying to take over the world. But this thread is about gay marriage not about the war on whatever it is this week, so with that in mind my next post will have more to do with gay marriage and less to do with my feelings on the bush administration, GW, and the war on whatever.

justiceisboughtnotblind said:
hornburger, well the GOP would start working on more so called important issues , but unfortunetly they won't because what they consider important and what america considers important are two different things. I feel like everytime i turn on the news there is a something about the war , the war, the war and people saying that I should support the war because the soldiers are fighting for our freedom , last time i checked there was no dictator trying to take over the world. But this thread is about gay marriage not about the war on whatever it is this week, so with that in mind my next post will have more to do with gay marriage and less to do with my feelings on the bush administration, GW, and the war on whatever.

:2funny: I love that line: "the war on WHATEVER!" that's perfect!

But thank you also for bringing this thread back to what it is supposed to be addressing.

JustineCredible said:
:2funny: I love that line: "the war on WHATEVER!" that's perfect!

But thank you also for bringing this thread back to what it is supposed to be addressing.
justine i'm finding that no matter how much i say i feel like i'm always missing something .................and then you come along and finish the thought i couldn't finish myself. That line about the war on whatever was actually something that got me in alot of trouble at school because apparently im not supportive of our troops, which is funny because i never said anything about the troops. But once again this is a gay marriage thread so with that in mind let me once again bring it back to what it is. Gay marriage- the marriage of two gay or lesbian human beings who wish to solidify the bond they share.
Even at the dawn of time whenever that was , and then when cavemen and cavewomen were around they had a bond of two people sharing a home and sharing a special bond that only they shared. I believe this was the bond of love. I'm not gonna go and say there was or was not gays and lesbians back in the stone ago because i sure as hell wasn't there and i can't call fred flinstone to ask him so it's all speculation, but the point of the matter is even then people were connected by a bond greater then themselves and anything else. I believe when something so complex , yet so simple, as love brings two beings together there is no person, not the president, not the supreme court, not the senate or the house, any governer, any religous leader, any mayor , or any person who has the right to say they shouldn't be together just like any other two people in the world. But unfortunetly people do have the right to say that , and presidents can interject their opinions so that it influences the senate and the house, and the supreme court , and the governers , and the mayors. I can only hope that one day we look past the flesh that covers us and see behind our eyes that can tell a million stories or nothing at all, and see that deep down we are all human beings with ambitions in life, emotions, feelings, the desire to love and be loved, and to be free and equal. To ask for equality , thats what this is just a beg a plea , no matter how desperate it seems. I can say a million times I AM NOT GAY and i'm not im in a relationship and have been for over a year and half with a girl who i love more than anything, but I can't help but see people who want to only have the equal rights that everyone else has. What has our country done in the past 227 years. Have we made any progress or have we only regressed back to times when slavery was ok, when we sat back and watched people be killed for what they believe in. Equal Rights, as a member of the straight community it's what i am asking for and if i had only one request from one member of the United States government that is what i would ask for. After everywar fought in the name of freedom please live up to what you fight and let this finally be a free nation with freedom of choice , freedom of religion , i could go on forever but most important of all equal rights , whether it be all rights or none at least let it be equal because after all freedom,equal rights, it's what we have been fighting for since we have became a free nation. I guess my last question is are we really a free nation or still a nation suffering from tyrany.

Back
Top Bottom