• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My No Fail Hummus Recipe

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
ZordePL.jpg

You just need the following:

- 2 cans of chickpeas/garbanzos (drained but keep the liquid)
- one whole clove of garlic
- one lemon (the juice)
- one tablespoon of creamy peanut butter /tahini
- salt/pepper
- EV olive oil

a blender/ food processor

Just put everything together in the blender- except the olive oil, then add the liquid from the chickpea cans until they reach the same level as the stuff you put in. Dont go full throttle on the blender, just pulse it till everything is liquefied. Then transfer it into a bowl and add the olive oil depending on how much you want in. Use a spoon to blend it all in and youre done!

PROTIP: Using peanut butter in place of tahini actually works! The only place near my house that has tahini for sale sells it in huge bottles that are super expensive but Ive found that unsweetened peanut butter does the trick.

Addons: paprika, chopped parsley, mint, tabasco, red pepper flakes, etc. but these really arent necessary

SERVE WITH: any toasted flatbread like pitas, tortillas, and such. Also serve with sliced tomatoes and black and green olives. Yummy!

ZordePL.jpg

- one lemon (the juice)
- salt/pepper
- EV olive oil

Just put everything together in the blender- except the olive oil, then add the liquid from the chickpea cans until they reach the same level as the stuff you put in. Dont go full throttle on the blender, just pulse it till everything is liquefied. Then transfer it into a bowl and add the olive oil depending on how much you want in. Use a spoon to blend it all in and youre done!

PROTIP: Using peanut butter in place of tahini actually works! The only place near my house that has tahini for sale sells it in huge bottles that are super expensive but Ive found that unsweetened peanut butter does the trick.

Addons: paprika, chopped parsley, mint, tabasco, red pepper flakes, etc. but these really arent necessary

SERVE WITH: any toasted flatbread like pitas, tortillas, and such. Also serve with sliced tomatoes and black and green olives. Yummy!

It sounds easy and I think I will try it tomorrow.

PS: do you use black peper?

I am going to try this, Tahini butter is expensive and I don't use it for anything but Hummus so end up wasting it, I like the idea of peanut butter...thanks

I will cut in half though because there is no way we could go through that much hummus

it is such an excellent source of protein

a good substitute for meat

I am going to try this, Tahini butter is expensive and I don't use it for anything but Hummus so end up wasting it, I like the idea of peanut butter...thanks

I will cut in half though because there is no way we could go through that much hummus

My wife and I can put away some Hummus. :D But the ready-made stuff has gotten sooooo expensive. I'm definitely going to try the peanut butter trick too.

for sure...

it is excellent for lunches...bang...some veggies, hummus and nuts and away we go :mrgreen:

Yep, it is a most excellent veggie dip. Actually, it is a most excellent ANYTHING dip. :D Yes, even chips. :mrgreen:

- one lemon (the juice)
- salt/pepper
- EV olive oil

Love hummus. Have had the fixings on the counter for a couple of days. Will probably make some tonight.

Never heard of using peanut butter. But will give it a try sometime. And for two cans of chickpeas we typically use about a 1/4 cup of tahini. Also throw in a couple of slices of roasted red pepper.

Have you ever tried hummus using northern beans instead of the chickpeas? Interesting change of pace. Little smoother/less grainy texture.

//

Keeps pretty well in the fridge. No rush to eat it all.

Good for easily a week or so.

I swear hummos is the new guacamole!

Everyone is eating it, and it's available everywhere!

When hummus was not yet popular in the States, there was a Palestinian community not too far from my house, and I'd eat there with a Palestinian guy that married a girl I grew-up with. Since then, I believe the Palestinians make the best hummus, and the places around here always top it off with sumac.

So here's my (humble) contribution to POS' thread:

Sumac-in-blue-thimble-POST.jpg

Hummos sumac.jpg

ZordePL.jpg

- one lemon (the juice)
- salt/pepper
- EV olive oil

Nice recipe. I make hummous about once a week, but mine's a bit different from yours.

I use:

500g chick peas (I always use dried chick peas, soaked overnight then cooked in lots of water for 40 mins, left to cool. The flavour's sooo much better than tinned or jarred chick peas.)
1 red bell pepper
1 clove garlic (mashed to a paste with sea salt)
Big glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds ground finely
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp tahini ( I think the sesame flavour's essential)

In the food processor first whizz up the pepper then all all the other ingredients except the lemon juice. With the motor still running I add the lemon juice bit by bit till the flavour's just right.

Anyway, just my three ha'p'orth.

I am really wanting home made hummus and it's snowing out there like a mofo...yup...and i forgot to pick up lemons when shopping earlier...yup

Where in Sam Hill do you live that it's snowing like a mofo?

Was snowing something fierce here too, countryboy! Only for a short period, but it was really blowing & coming down!

Was snowing something fierce here too, countryboy! Only for a short period, but it was really blowing & coming down!

Where do you live again? Yeah, it's been crazy windy here all day too. I am surprised the power hasn't gone out.

lol...Ontario...we've likely had 6 cm this afternoon and lots more to come tomorrow...we have a weather warning...

Summary

Snow heavy at times and freezing rain are likely from Sunday night to Monday morning. Current indications suggest that areas from southern Lake Huron southeastward to Lake Erie and western Lake Ontario could receive between 5 and 15 cm of snow by Monday morning. Areas along the southern fringe of this swath could see several hours of freezing rain but would likely receive lesser snowfall amounts near 5 cm. It should be noted that there is still some uncertainty regarding the exact location of the heaviest snow and the freezing rain. Environment Canada meteorologists will continue to closely monitor this developing situation closely. As the details become more certain, warnings may be issued. Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to storm.ontario@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports to #ONStorm.

lol...Ontario...we've likely had 6 cm this afternoon and lots more to come tomorrow...we have a weather warning...

Summary

Snow heavy at times and freezing rain are likely from Sunday night to Monday morning. Current indications suggest that areas from southern Lake Huron southeastward to Lake Erie and western Lake Ontario could receive between 5 and 15 cm of snow by Monday morning. Areas along the southern fringe of this swath could see several hours of freezing rain but would likely receive lesser snowfall amounts near 5 cm. It should be noted that there is still some uncertainty regarding the exact location of the heaviest snow and the freezing rain. Environment Canada meteorologists will continue to closely monitor this developing situation closely. As the details become more certain, warnings may be issued. Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to storm.ontario@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports to #ONStorm.

Ah, that makes sense. What do you expect from the Great White North, eh? :mrgreen:

Snow here in NE Ohio isn't out of the question this time of year either. I once drove over a Northern California mountain pass in July, and it started snowing like a mofo, and stickin' too. :D

Ah, that makes sense. What do you expect from the Great White North, eh? :mrgreen:

Snow here in NE Ohio isn't out of the question this time of year either. I once drove over a Northern California mountain pass in July, and it started snowing like a mofo, and stickin' too. :D

apparently they are saying we may get more snow in April than we have had all winter...if I have hummus and wine...meh, it's all good eh...

apparently they are saying we may get more snow in April than we have had all winter...if I have hummus and wine...meh, it's all good eh...

I could survive on wine and hummus. As long as it's a good cab or blended red. :D

Nice recipe. I make hummous about once a week, but mine's a bit different from yours.

I use:

500g chick peas (I always use dried chick peas, soaked overnight then cooked in lots of water for 40 mins, left to cool. The flavour's sooo much better than tinned or jarred chick peas.)
1 red bell pepper
1 clove garlic (mashed to a paste with sea salt)
Big glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds ground finely
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp tahini ( I think the sesame flavour's essential)

In the food processor first whizz up the pepper then all all the other ingredients except the lemon juice. With the motor still running I add the lemon juice bit by bit till the flavour's just right.

Anyway, just my three ha'p'orth.
Hah!

I think your recipe's going to give POS' a run!

Is garnishing with sumac or parsley common in your area? I'm thinking sumac is a middle-eastern thing, whereas the parsley is a Euro-States thing. I do always see lemon juice & olive oil drizzled on top in the Palestinian places (as in my post above).

Hah!

I think your recipe's going to give POS' a run!

Is garnishing with sumac or parsley common in your area? I'm thinking sumac is a middle-eastern thing, whereas the parsley is a Euro-States thing. I do always see lemon juice & olive oil drizzled on top in the Palestinian places (as in my post above).

Yeah, 'cept I don't think we kin gits garbanzo beans by the gram here in 'Murica. :(

Where do you live again? Yeah, it's been crazy windy here all day too. I am surprised the power hasn't gone out.
Upper Midwest.

It was 70F two days ago, freezing today & blowing sideways!

Back
Top Bottom