• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My No Fail Hummus Recipe

Upper Midwest.

It was 70F two days ago, freezing today & blowing sideways!

Welcome to the Midwest. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes. I could swear I heard some shingles coming loose a minute ago! :shock:

lol...Ontario...we've likely had 6 cm this afternoon and lots more to come tomorrow...we have a weather warning...

Summary

Snow heavy at times and freezing rain are likely from Sunday night to Monday morning. Current indications suggest that areas from southern Lake Huron southeastward to Lake Erie and western Lake Ontario could receive between 5 and 15 cm of snow by Monday morning. Areas along the southern fringe of this swath could see several hours of freezing rain but would likely receive lesser snowfall amounts near 5 cm. It should be noted that there is still some uncertainty regarding the exact location of the heaviest snow and the freezing rain. Environment Canada meteorologists will continue to closely monitor this developing situation closely. As the details become more certain, warnings may be issued. Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to storm.ontario@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports to #ONStorm.
I take it I'm not the only one here familiar with the terms:

"Cooler by the Lake" & "Lake Effect"

:mrgreen:

I had to open my big mouth, didn't I. :(

me and my big mouth.JPG

It sounds easy and I think I will try it tomorrow.

PS: do you use black peper?

Yes. Lots of it! :mrgreen:

Love hummus. Have had the fixings on the counter for a couple of days. Will probably make some tonight.

Never heard of using peanut butter. But will give it a try sometime. And for two cans of chickpeas we typically use about a 1/4 cup of tahini. Also throw in a couple of slices of roasted red pepper.

Have you ever tried hummus using northern beans instead of the chickpeas? Interesting change of pace. Little smoother/less grainy texture.

//
I havent tried it but sounds like it might work, but the flavor would be different, you might want to adjust the other stuff. :cool:

Hah!

I think your recipe's going to give POS' a run!

Is garnishing with sumac or parsley common in your area? I'm thinking sumac is a middle-eastern thing, whereas the parsley is a Euro-States thing. I do always see lemon juice & olive oil drizzled on top in the Palestinian places (as in my post above).

Yes, I sometimes add sumac, or occasionally pimentón (smoked paprika) but just a tiny amount. I'd garnish with a spring of parsley, but I wouldn't add it to the hummous in the blender.

Nice recipe. I make hummous about once a week, but mine's a bit different from yours.

I use:

500g chick peas (I always use dried chick peas, soaked overnight then cooked in lots of water for 40 mins, left to cool. The flavour's sooo much better than tinned or jarred chick peas.)
1 red bell pepper
1 clove garlic (mashed to a paste with sea salt)
Big glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds ground finely
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp tahini ( I think the sesame flavour's essential)

In the food processor first whizz up the pepper then all all the other ingredients except the lemon juice. With the motor still running I add the lemon juice bit by bit till the flavour's just right.

Anyway, just my three ha'p'orth.

Well my recipe differs mostly in prep time, with canned stuff it can be done in 5 minutes as opposed to using up an hour of one's time.

In regards to the tahini- it pretty much tastes like peanut butter. If you give it a blind taste test, most people wont be able to tell the difference. Also, Alton Brown's default hummus recipe calls for peanut butter instead of tahini. As long as you dont put too much PB, its a good substitute.

I could survive on wine and hummus. As long as it's a good cab or blended red. :D
I'm not fussy but yes that would be best :thumbs:

Currently on my FB wall I have:

Tonights forecast:

99% chance of wine

I take it I'm not the only one here familiar with the terms:

"Cooler by the Lake" & "Lake Effect"

:mrgreen:
no you are not and I am also quite familiar with Alberta streamerss that send heavy bands of snow from the west literally in streams and they are powerful with heavy snow...can last minutes or hours and then poof they are gone.

We are waiting for some to hit now. It is beautiful and sunny here right now with a light wind. But that will soon turn to heavy snow and perhaps freezing rain depending upon what the temp is. Currently it is -9°C with a 15 k NW wind....very calm. Tomorrow will be a challenging drive to work even with four wheel drive and snow tires...By Tuesday our roads will be clear. Hopefully they will be able to get beet juice onto the road...that helps immensely.

Well my recipe differs mostly in prep time, with canned stuff it can be done in 5 minutes as opposed to using up an hour of one's time.
Yeah, that's true. The best things always take a lot of time, but your recipe I'm sure if just fine...and quick!

In regards to the tahini- it pretty much tastes like peanut butter.
Well, I severely doubt that. Here we can get a variety of different brands of tahini - organic versions and imported brands from Morocco and Algeria. I wouldn't label any of them as tasting like peanut butter.

If you give it a blind taste test, most people wont be able to tell the difference. Also, Alton Brown's default hummus recipe calls for peanut butter instead of tahini. As long as you dont put too much PB, its a good substitute.
Then again, peanut butter is hard to come by here, and really expensive. It's certainly no cheaper than tahini.

That is quite expensive. We can get that brand here and pay around $6 for what Amazon are selling for $11. We pay about $5 for a c.16oz jar of peanut butter.

I can't get tahini anywhere here.

It takes an average of two months for Amazon to deliver where I am. :neutral:

Alternatively, you can just make tahini- just toast sesame seeds, then either mash them in a mortar and pestle or a in a grinder. But it's quicker if you just use a spoonful of peanut butter. ;)

I can't get tahini anywhere here.

I guess the closer you are to where it comes from, the easier it is to get. Hence, we struggle to find peanut butter.
Even though I happily moved out of the city, it's little things like this that keep me living *near* a major city.

This stuff is all easily available in spades near me, and I'm in the States nowhere near the Middle-East or North Africa. But I am near one of the larger and more ethnically diverse cities in the world. Of course, the flip-side is: If you want to live in a good neighborhood here, it ain't exactly cheap.

That is quite expensive. We can get that brand here and pay around $6 for what Amazon are selling for $11. We pay about $5 for a c.16oz jar of peanut butter.
That link reflects Amazon 'Prime' which includes free shipping. Prime items are always a bit (sometimes a lot) higher due to the shipping being included.

Anybody ever make humus with something other than chickpeas?

Anybody ever make hummus with something other than chickpeas?
Yep. White beans. (mentioned that a little earlier on the thread.) Garbanzos are not actually beans. So the result of using white northern beans in the recipe is different. But still can be delicious. If you Google you will find several recipes for the bean option.

Yep. White beans. (mentioned that a little earlier on the thread.) Garbanzos are not actually beans. So the result of using white northern beans in the recipe is different. But still can be delicious. If you Google you will find several recipes for the bean option.

I have too. I found a can of Spanish white beans in my pantry one day and I was hankering for hummus but I had no chickpeas left. I used the same amount of garlic I used for making hummus and it overpowered it- seems chickpeas can whether raw garlic better than beans could. Tasted like a very spicy bean dip. :2razz:

I tried hummus once. They told me it was very good.

Didn't try it twice. Just doesn't work for me.

I have too. I found a can of Spanish white beans in my pantry one day and I was hankering for hummus but I had no chickpeas left. I used the same amount of garlic I used for making hummus and it overpowered it- seems chickpeas can whether raw garlic better than beans could. Tasted like a very spicy bean dip. :2razz:

Confession time.

Only discovered that hummus could be made with white beans after i (dumbly) opened a can of white beans instead of garbanzos by accident. (In my defense the cans look almost identical.)

On hunch i went in and googled the topic and learned that there were hummus recipes for white beans. Turns out that red kidney beans also can also be used.....but have not tried that yet.

Yep, it is a most excellent veggie dip. Actually, it is a most excellent ANYTHING dip. :D Yes, even chips. :mrgreen:

You can make cow patties taste good with that stuff. We eat it all the time. I make my own fry bread, have some veggies to dip and you got yourself a meal.
I never tried PB, but will. Most recipes can be played with. You never know what you come up with. We like pesto with feta and walnuts instead of parm and pine nuts.

Back
Top Bottom