• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My new lawn tractor

ttwtt78640

Sometimes wrong
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
With my first SS retirement check I decided to get a new lawn tractor. After much online research and hunting for a good deal I got a new (2015) Husqvarna YTH24v48 at Lowe's today. It listed at $1999 but I got it for $1500. It was sold, never used (zero hours and virgin blades) and later (after about two months) returned to the store. It has been outside and, other than a small tear in the seat cover, is in new condition (still has its manufacturer 3 year limited waranty).

Since I now cut over 5 acres on a regular basis it should pay for itself in short order. I have decided that I am now too old (lazy?) to push mow that much grass and it has been growing like crazy with all the rain lately. The newer Husqvarna models (2016) have been down graded and now come without the hydrostatic transmission and often have Chinese made engines in them - for the same list price, of course.

image.jpg

image.jpg

With my first SS retirement check I decided to get a new lawn tractor. After much online research and hunting for a good deal I got a new (2015) Husqvarna YTH24v48 at Lowe's today. It listed at $1999 but I got it for $1500. It was sold, never used (zero hours and virgin blades) and later (after about two months) returned to the store. It has been outside and, other than a small tear in the seat cover, is in new condition (still has its manufacturer 3 year limited waranty).

Since I now cut over 5 acres on a regular basis it should pay for itself in short order. I have decided that I am now too old (lazy?) to push mow that much grass and it has been growing like crazy with all the rain lately. The newer Husqvarna models (2016) have been down graded and now come without the hydrostatic transmission and often have Chinese made engines in them - for the same list price, of course.

View attachment 67200418

View attachment 67200419

Nice tractor there - looks like a nice Husqie. They make a good product, and with 5 acres to mow, you'll need it.

and you're off to the races. :mrgreen:

LawnmowerRacing.jpg

View attachment 67200418

View attachment 67200419

nice ride. hope that you enjoy it.

Nice tractor there - looks like a nice Husqie. They make a good product, and with 5 acres to mow, you'll need it.

I hoped that Husqvarna would not try to price compete with MTD (which now produces many "brands"). I prefer quality over price (within reason) for my tools. I hesitate to buy used motorized products (but sometimes will take them in trade for my labor) since very few folks bother to maintain them properly and parts/repairs can be quite expensive. We are fortunate to have friends/family that are mechanics and help us to get good, reliable used vehicles.

Who Makes What? – All 2015 Lawn, Yard And Garden Tractor Manufacturers

View attachment 67200418

View attachment 67200419
Five acres! :doh

When my pop moved out of the city to a single acre, and even with my occasional help, he only lasted a single year before he gave in and bought a ride 'em mower!

That's a *lot* of grass to mow!

Better you. than me!

Five acres! :doh

When my pop moved out of the city to a single acre, and even with my occasional help, he only lasted a single year before he gave in and bought a ride 'em mower!

That's a *lot* of grass to mow!

Better you. than me!

I have assumed the job of mowing some (now 4) of my neighbor's yards, recently adding my landlord's (5) vacant lots/properties as well as her own 3/4 acre yard. For some of the other (larger) properties that I mow I can make use of their equipment. Mowing is much easier than other farm/ranch work that I do. ;)

I have assumed the job of mowing some (now 4) of my neighbor's yards, recently adding my landlord's (5) vacant lots/properties as well as her own 3/4 acre yard. For some of the other (larger) properties that I mow I can make use of their equipment. Mowing is much easier than other farm/ranch work that I do. ;)
Hey, it's all green! :mrgreen:

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

View attachment 67200418

View attachment 67200419

That is pretty nice. The old hippy dude in the pictures looks pretty happy about it, which is what counts. When I finish my move in June I am going to have a not quite 2 acre yard, and am buying a new rider. Will have to get a JD, or my family will disown me though. Good riding sir.

5 acre's is a lot of grass.. I have 2.5 acre's but I have an older craftsman garden tractor series with the 3 sp hi/lo tranny. I also have two older craftsman garden tractors with big heavy hydro's.. Treat it well and it should server you for a few years or more

Enjoy your new toy!!!!! They can be lots of fun and give you real sense of pride in your property.

My property is almost an acre of manicured lawn. We bought in 84. I went through two cheaper bargain tractors- one used - in the first eight or nine years. Then I got smart and bought a really super brand new John Deere for a couple grand and it was some of the best money I ever spent. It lasted for well over 20 years until I decided a couple of years ago simply to go the lawn service route and be retired and lazy. And even then I sold the thing for $150.00.00

A good lawn tractor starts with the manufacturer.

That is pretty nice. The old hippy dude in the pictures looks pretty happy about it, which is what counts. When I finish my move in June I am going to have a not quite 2 acre yard, and am buying a new rider. Will have to get a JD, or my family will disown me though. Good riding sir.

JD (still) makes some very good (and good looking) mowers but they are somewhat pricy for what you get. When you buy maintenance parts for your JD get the Briggs & Stratton (OEM) parts instead of the JD equivalent, for example, the air filter costs $2 (18%) more in that (pretty?) green and yellow package than the same thing in the (uglier?) black and red package. ;)

JD (still) makes some very good (and good looking) mowers but they are somewhat pricy for what you get. When you buy maintenance parts for your JD get the Briggs & Stratton (OEM) parts instead of the JD equivalent, for example, the air filter costs $2 (18%) more in that (pretty?) green and yellow package than the same thing in the (uglier?) black and red package. ;)

I would not say JD is superior, but JD is what my family has used for lawn tractors and regular tractors all my life.

And again, good riding on your new tractor, have fun sir.

View attachment 67200418

View attachment 67200419

You went name brand I just don't see the cupholder for beer. Husqvarna is a damn fine brand for lawn equipment, I had a friend buy a chainsaw from that brand, he said if it didn't do it right and won't last he aint gonna waste his money on it. Well sure enough his chainsaw is still going, while other brands Other friends have keep going out.

You went name brand I just don't see the cupholder for beer. Husqvarna is a damn fine brand for lawn equipment, I had a friend buy a chainsaw from that brand, he said if it didn't do it right and won't last he aint gonna waste his money on it. Well sure enough his chainsaw is still going, while other brands Other friends have keep going out.

It has a cup holder but it is placed on the right (discharge) side. I plan to add a mulch kit so that may not be much of an issue. I also removed the arm rests so that I can put on my (padded) seat cover which has 2 mesh pockets on the seat back. Chainsaws and other 2 cycle equipment don't do well with the 10% ethanol now in (all?) pump gas. I use the pre-mixed fuel (at about $5/quart) to prevent those ethanol "issues" in my 2 cycle engine powered tools. The main problem with ethanol is that it absorbs water - I have been told that it burns hotter. I try to avoid most chainsaw jobs (I often find folks that will do that chore just for the barbecue or firewood) and just use a pruning blade in my 18v reciprocating saw (when possible)..

It has a cup holder but it is placed on the right (discharge) side. I plan to add a mulch kit so that may not be much of an issue. I also removed the arm rests so that I can put on my (padded) seat cover which has 2 mesh pockets on the seat back. Chainsaws and other 2 cycle equipment don't do well with the 10% ethanol now in (all?) pump gas. I use the pre-mixed fuel (at about $5/quart) to prevent those ethanol "issues" in my 2 cycle engine powered tools. The main problem with ethanol is that it absorbs water - I have been told that it burns hotter. I try to avoid most chainsaw jobs (I often find folks that will do that chore just for the barbecue or firewood) and just use a pruning blade in my 18v reciprocating saw (when possible)..

I actually run ethanol 10% in my two stroke generator. It runs fine as long as you use stabilizer which counters the ethanol. The main issue is alot of two stroke equipment in summer use like weedeaters, chainsaws etc. When they get stored over the winter, the ethanol collapses the fuel lines, gums up the carb, fuel varnishes, etc.

If it is something that may sit for months at a time though I would take the same route, that premixed synthetic 2 stroke fuel can sit for years with no damage.

I actually run ethanol 10% in my two stroke generator. It runs fine as long as you use stabilizer which counters the ethanol. The main issue is alot of two stroke equipment in summer use like weedeaters, chainsaws etc. When they get stored over the winter, the ethanol collapses the fuel lines, gums up the carb, fuel varnishes, etc.

If it is something that may sit for months at a time though I would take the same route, that premixed synthetic 2 stroke fuel can sit for years with no damage.

I use my string trimmer very often (and year around) but still had those ethanol issues with it. After switching to the pre-mix 40:1 fuel even my 10 year old Echo (21cc) starts on the first pull and the spark plug is now 4 years old.

I use my string trimmer very often (and year around) but still had those ethanol issues with it. After switching to the pre-mix 40:1 fuel even my 10 year old Echo starts on the first pull and the spark plug is now 4 years old.

Even when used often, with ethanol in the tank and no stabilizer to counter it, it will collapse lines and gum up carbs. But now a days if i can find 4 stroke versions I buy them, less power and more fuel usage, but I do not have to mix oil or worry about all the maintenance.

Even when used often, with ethanol in the tank and no stabilizer to counter it, it will collapse lines and gum up carbs. But now a days if i can find 4 stroke versions I buy them, less power and more fuel usage, but I do not have to mix oil or worry about all the maintenance.

Hopefully, as battery tech (and cost) improves, we can use that power source instead.

I would never use anything but a husqavarna chainsaw. When it can sit 6 months and start on the second pull, that is a win in my book.

Back
Top Bottom