• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My guitar heroes, mostly hard rock, metal but also few other guitar heroes

Rock guitarists, and just because he hasn't been mentioned yet,

Guitar generally, Lenny Breau and Chet Atkins, and luckily they played together...

I have said guitar heroes and here comes a shocker, that also includes bass guitar players and one of the all time greats, if not the greatest bass guitarists is also one who died way way way too young, Cliff Burton from Metallica.

This is how I was introduced to Metallica and Cliff, it is called Anesthesia/Pulling teeth and it goes like this:

And this is one of the greatest songs with him on base guitar leading off the song, it is called for whom the bell tolls (live from day on the green) showing what he could do with his bass

And I want to end his honoring with one of the great songs he played on (and he can be heard pretty well because it is instrumental and nobody will be able to miss the bass on this song)

Poor Cliff died on tour when the bus they were traveling on had an accident, this is what happened:

During the European leg of the Damage Inc. tour in support of Master of Puppets, the band complained that the sleeping cubicles on their tour bus were unsatisfactory and uncomfortable. To decide who received pick of the bunks, Kirk Hammett and Burton drew cards. On the evening of September 26, 1986, Burton won the game with an ace of spades, thereby getting the first choice of bunk and pointed at Hammett and exclaimed, "I want your bunk!" Hammett replied, "Fine, take my bunk, I'll sleep up front, it's probably better up there anyway." Burton was sleeping shortly before 7 am on September 27 when, according to the driver, the bus skidded off the road (the E4, 12 miles north of Ljungby), and flipped onto the grass in Kronoberg County Burton was thrown through the window of the bus, which fell on top of him, resulting in his death.

Sounds like Richie Valens, the luck of the draw caused Cliff to loose his life, just like the coin cost Richie Valens his life.

hard to say.

lots of great ones don't get as much press as they should

Richard Thompson is brilliant and has been since he was a teen (Fairport convention)

a local guy who has done tours as diverse as Zappa, King Crimson and David Bowie -Adrian Belew

and musicians normally seen as masters of other instruments (like Steve Winwood)

Well, I can at least hope you enjoyed his guitar playing. The man was so talented.

One of my pet peeves in hard rock/metal in general is the cowardly approach to ballads. They all sound a bit like they are done on a template made by "and nothing else matters" from Metallica. This is one of the bravest attempts at a non-typical ballad (with some nice guitar work):

Veil of deception by Death Angel (trash metal band)

But they did 2 ballads on a trash album, this is the second one:

hard to say.

lots of great ones don't get as much press as they should

Richard Thompson is brilliant and has been since he was a teen (Fairport convention)

a local guy who has done tours as diverse as Zappa, King Crimson and David Bowie -Adrian Belew

and musicians normally seen as masters of other instruments (like Steve Winwood)

Glad to see Richard Thompson get a shout out. Have you seen 'A thousand Years of Popular Music'? Terrific. Certainly in my top ten.

No discussion of great guitar players could be complete without the addition of the Prince of Polyester.

This is a delicious medley with JB.

He tears it up on this...

Beatles Reggae style.

The following list is an amazing testament to his wide ranging appeal. It's so long this forum won't allow me to post it. THE AMAZING DISCOGRAPHY OF MR. DAVE

I won't post Jimi Hendrix, because he's a GOD, not just a lowly hero! :)

These two are as close to GODS as they come...

Frank Zappa - Willie the Pimp

Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin) - Vital Transformation (the whole album is a masterpiece)

Richard Thompson as a teenager. He is just to lead singer Ian Matthews' left as you look at the video (thus on Ian's right side)

some good closeups of Thompson's technique

Gary Moore

Michael Schenker

Santana & Neal Shon

Back
Top Bottom