• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My guitar heroes, mostly hard rock, metal but also few other guitar heroes

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
As a hard rocker, I have always been a big fan of the electric guitar and as I have just reached my 10,000st post (gone a bit over before I realized it LOL) I wanted to start a thread about guitar gods/metal masters one the 6 stringed ax.

Everybody is invited to present your guitar heroes of course.

The first one is Randy Rhoads, one of my favorite guitarists, even though he has been dead for 34 years.

randy-rhoads-ozzy-bw.jpg

Randy started at Quiet Riot before he was lured into becoming Ozzy Osbourne's first guitar player. With Ozzy he only played on 2 studio albums (Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a madman), one EP (Mr. Crowley live EP) and 2 live albums (Randy Rhoads tribute album and Ozzy live) and good video materials with him playing his guitar is rare. He played a mini set called after hours and there is some poor quality (the video part is not good) concert material.

Sadly he only lived for 25 years and nobody knows what he could have achieved.

So here is a collection of his solo's with Ozzy and one with his previous band Quiet Riot:

And a song cannot live from solo's alone so here is one of their best numbers together, written by Ozzy, Randy and Bob Daisley:

Last in this post is another of that first album with Ozzy, Crazy Train:

Who knows what he could have achieved if he had not been killed in a plane crash.

Robin Trower

Pat Travers

Joe Walsh

Next is a double whammy because this is a guitar tandem of the most awesome variety ever IMHO, Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King who played at my favorite concert ever, it was in the Maaspoort in Den Bosch and Slayer where playing their South of Heaven tour.

The 2 where perfect together and played their guitars in perfect unity (born out of lots of practice).

First there is Hallowed Point with Kerry King doing most of the guitar solo's

Here is a song where both of them get some good solo's called season in the abyss

Last but not least, and no doubt a bit controversial the song called "Antichrist"

When you ask metal fans who the best guitarists are, you get a pretty good set of guitarists. When you turn around and ask those guitarists who they think is best, you get some interesting answers. Justin Broaderick is one name that would get mentioned a lot by metal guitarists as one of the best.

Kurt Kobain is generally considered a good guitarist, but he was never nearly as good as his mentor, Buzz Osbourne.

so many choices. The obvious-Jimmy, Duane, Jimi, Eric, Jerry, and Dickie

the slightly less known-RIchard Thompson, Martin Barre, (and because he's mainly seen as a keyboardist) Steve Winwood

of the younger generation. Derek Trucks might well be the best-his version of Duane's Dreams-amazing

Taking their name from the above Melvins song, Boris is probably the most influential band in metal today, combining elements of doom, drone, ambient, shoegaze, and about a dozen other genres. Their guitarist is a tiny little woman named Wata, who can create a wall of thunder one minute, then soft, delicate chords the next.

Joe Walsh

I have read many interviews of top guitarists who all cite Joe Walsh as one of the best. I especially like this piece of his

Next guitar hero of mine, but this one is a specific one, the guitar player I am talking about I am going to limit just now to one part of his career/one band. I may likely come back to him for other guitar work of awesome quality but this is a specific "category" if you like.

The band I am talking about is Richie Blackmore's Rainbow with the guitar hero Richie Blackmore delighting everyone with his licks, his solo's and his awesome quality of guitar playing.

Here is a solo of him from the song Catch the Rainbow, a song I can only advise to look up on the interweb (as good old Richard from the Monkey garage boys loves to say):

Then you can listen and hopefully enjoy Kill the King, live from 1977

And last but not least, Stargazer:

Garage band goodness. Tom Verlaine and Richard Loyd's interplay of guitars is absolutely mesmerizing at times. Marquee Moon is one of the most influential post-punk albums of the 70's, and generally considered one of the greatest alternative rock albums ever.

Next guitar hero is a no brainer IMHO, it is the master guitarslinger of Queen (the band, not the 90 year old lady from the UK or our very own Queen Maxima), Brian May. A man who can play guitar like a true master, he may have been copied many times but I am not sure anyone has ever come close to him when he plays his own "sound".

Here he is playing a very long solo at Rock In Rio

Then one of Queen's/May's highlights, Innuendo by Queen:

And last but not least, I want it all with Adam Lambert on vocals:

so many choices. The obvious-Jimmy, Duane, Jimi, Eric, Jerry, and Dickie

the slightly less known-RIchard Thompson, Martin Barre, (and because he's mainly seen as a keyboardist) Steve Winwood

of the younger generation. Derek Trucks might well be the best-his version of Duane's Dreams-amazing
1 & 2 for me - Jimi and the surprisingly overlooked Jeff Beck. The latter going all the way back to the Yardbirds. They had perhaps thee most expressive guitars.
More recent JB

Last edited:
1 & 2 for me - Jimi and the surprisingly overlooked Jeff Beck. The latter going all the way back to the Yardbirds. They had perhaps thee most expressive guitars.
More recent JB

Not a Beck fan. however, I readily admit, based on what I have seen, he's in the same league as his other two Yardbird Alums. Some of the stuff he did with Rod Stewart was top top of the line

Next guitar hero is a no brainer IMHO, it is the master guitarslinger of Queen (the band, not the 90 year old lady from the UK or our very own Queen Maxima), Brian May. A man who can play guitar like a true master, he may have been copied many times but I am not sure anyone has ever come close to him when he plays his own "sound".

Here he is playing a very long solo at Rock In Rio

[

Then one of Queen's/May's highlights, Innuendo by Queen:

And last but not least, I want it all with Adam Lambert on vocals:

IIRC at Freddy Mercury's celebration he was playing backing guitar for someone-I believe INXS but it might have been someone else when the lead guitarist broke a string. May stepped right up and took the lead as if it had been planned all along. Robbie Robertson did the same thing with Clapton in "the Last Waltz" I believe. May's not only a master, he's a doctor-in astronomy. Brilliant man

IIRC at Freddy Mercury's celebration he was playing backing guitar for someone-I believe INXS but it might have been someone else when the lead guitarist broke a string. May stepped right up and took the lead as if it had been planned all along. Robbie Robertson did the same thing with Clapton in "the Last Waltz" I believe. May's not only a master, he's a doctor-in astronomy. Brilliant man

And he was one member of one of the greatest bands in all of history (IMHO) even the musical was so awesome I visited it 5 times. If I had lived closer and money would not have been an object I would have seen it 50 times.

And he was one member of one of the greatest bands in all of history (IMHO) even the musical was so awesome I visited it 5 times. If I had lived closer and money would not have been an object I would have seen it 50 times.

I am not that big a fan of queen but I appreciate the talent. I really cannot say how anyone can determine WHO IS THE BEST but lots of people who are REALLY good guitar players (not me, no musical talent whatsoever, just a big fan of some artists) say May's a top guy in the field. That works for me

I am not that big a fan of queen but I appreciate the talent. I really cannot say how anyone can determine WHO IS THE BEST but lots of people who are REALLY good guitar players (not me, no musical talent whatsoever, just a big fan of some artists) say May's a top guy in the field. That works for me

I also have no talent in making music but my favorite guitar player who could have become the greatest if he were not killed so young is Randy Rhoads.

I also have no talent in making music but my favorite guitar player who could have become the greatest if he were not killed so young is Randy Rhoads.

hard to say.

lots of great ones don't get as much press as they should

Richard Thompson is brilliant and has been since he was a teen (Fairport convention)

a local guy who has done tours as diverse as Zappa, King Crimson and David Bowie -Adrian Belew

and musicians normally seen as masters of other instruments (like Steve Winwood)

Back
Top Bottom