• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My girlfriend for 40 years ago

Yep.

One reason for the apprehension...

One reason could be not wanting to form a long term relationship.
Myself, I say, relax and let the evening flow.
Listen more than talk is my advice.

I don't know what or how I feel yet. I really liked her those 40 years ago, but I wasn't as ready as she was to commit to anything. I try to dismiss the notion of regret, because then I wouldn't have the life or children that I do now. One of my fears is that I will regret breaking up with her 40 years ago, and then I will feel guilty of knowing I wouldn't have the same children.

I know, it's silly, but random thoughts are silly at times.

There's always those "what if" thoughts but reality is nothing can change the past and just see how you two connect now. 40 years is a long time and probably neither of you are who you were. Enjoy your memories together and see how you connect now. And let us know now how it turns out. :)

William Wordsworth:

Though nothing can bring back the hour

Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower,

We will grieve not, rather find

Strength in what remains behind....

Sometimes things are meant to be. It doesn't sound like you're in a place for that to be the case.

But go and have a good time. It's not a big deal. She's an old flame. You two have a lot to catch up on. But don't expect to recapture the splendor in the grass.

Thank-You.

This is one of the weirdest moments of my life though. I am so apprehensive over seeing my first love, after 40 years.

What are you apprehensive about?

Thank-You.

This is one of the weirdest moments of my life though. I am so apprehensive over seeing my first love, after 40 years.

That's the problem. Men might not always like to admit it but your first real girlfriend, first serious one, that person is special to you forever no matter what. It would have had to have been a truly horrible situation not to be.
The trouble with that is, sometimes people do change.
I ran into MY first serious girl a few years ago. Our relationship was special but it ended with her not having the courage to make a move with me, and no matter how many times I tried (3 times) and how long I carried that torch, she was just too chicken to move.

In many ways she was still the same girl I remember but the years had not been kind to her mentally or emotionally.
I was and still am happily married, and I was on business so this was more a case of me satisfying my curiosity and getting closure.
It was nice to talk to her but it was also sad.
And then a friend of hers told me that she died suddenly from a massive stroke about eight months after I saw her.
I don't have words, it was tragic. Her two sons were already grown but she didn't deserve to just up and kick the bucket like that, she was barely fifty years old, and had never really been out of her home state, never done anything exotic, foreign, new or exciting.
She worked a crap job and just paid bills and stayed alone.

I say she was robbed, and her kids were robbed, and her friends were robbed.
I'm lucky I wound up with my special someone.

Back
Top Bottom