• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My dream house

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I love old things, and that includes houses. Modern houses just don't have the character. I collect antique furniture and that doesn't always "fit" in a newer house.

I pass these houses every day going to work.

One of these days! :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377710290263.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377710290263.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 124
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377710316499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377710316499.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 124
I've always enjoyed the old Craftsman style houses, and hope to someday have one, even a small one...

Briar-Chapel-Craftsman-home.gif

I love old things, and that includes houses. Modern houses just don't have the character. I collect antique furniture and that doesn't always "fit" in a newer house.

Downtown Toronto and the immediate suburbs are full of houses like this - don't come knocking unless you've got several million to spend, however.

I love old houses too - they're full of problems but if you get the plumbing and wiring and roof fixed up and modernize bathrooms and kitchen etc., the old character still shines through with a special warmth that doesn't exist in newer buildings.

I've always enjoyed the old Craftsman style houses, and hope to someday have one, even a small one...

Briar-Chapel-Craftsman-home.gif

Craftsman houses have always been my favorite. The Victorian that TGND posted is beautiful, but Victorians require more maintenance.

Foursquare-Craftsman.jpg

Last edited:

Very nice but when I look at that part of what I see is:
1. Mow that lawn?
2. Rake those leaves?
3. Shovel that driveway?
4. Paint that trim?

Very nice but when I look at that part of what I see is:
1. Mow that lawn?
2. Rake those leaves?
3. Shovel that driveway?
4. Paint that trim?

1. - 4. - Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes. :D

It's all a small price to pay to have a beautiful house. I like yard work. Well...except when it's 102 outside. :p

Craftsman houses have always been my favorite. The Victorian that TGND posted is beautiful, but Victorians require more maintenance.

The workmanship in the old ones, with the built ins and trim, have always called 'home' to me... a slightly larger yard and a cottage garden, and I'm in luv.... :lol:

The workmanship in the old ones, with the built ins and trim, have always called 'home' to me... a slightly larger yard and a cottage garden, and I'm in luv.... :lol:

Yes, the emphasis on attention to detail and quality, along with a simpler aesthetic really appeals to me

View attachment 67152786

Though I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of some of the LR furniture, like that chair

Not to mention, the stained glass:

ozarkautumnlg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the emphasis on attention to detail and quality, along with a simpler aesthetic really appeals to me

View attachment 67152786

Though I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of some of the LR furniture, like that chair

Some Morris chairs are veeeery comfortable. I'm not big on the rockers, but put a hassock in front of it, a fire in the grate and all is well with the world. :wink:

Some Morris chairs are veeeery comfortable. I'm not big on the rockers, but put a hassock in front of it, a fire in the grate and all is well with the world. :wink:

Yes, they are very comfortable, and the wide arms are a great place to rest your snifter of brandy, but I can't get past their resemblance to Adirondack chairs:

adirondack-chair-x.jpg

But, to keep this thread on track, I give to all, this picture of a wonderful Victorian fireplace. Note the similarities and the differences between this and the A&C one I posted:
View attachment 67152788

Here's one you could move right into:

Old house.jpg

...and one it's probably best to avoid:

Old house 2.jpg

:D

I like no stairs and an attached garage. I prefer a hip roof (no gable end maintanence) with good overhang and a more open design, kitchen centered.

These two plans are close:

View attachment 67152789

House Plan 1169ES -The Modern Ranch | houseplans.co

View attachment 67152790

House Plan 1170 -The Meriwether | houseplans.co

I don't care for the garage in front, no matter the house style, old or modern. If it has to be attached, then behind or under.

To me, especially with classic houses like the Victorians and the Craftsman, garages weren't meant to be seen as part of the façade.

Is is your desire to move in to an existing home or would you like to design and build your own? The latter of course wouldn't be "old" but you could incorporate what you like about the older styles into a brand new home.

FWIW: we live in a neighborhood where one of the builders built a bunch of very ornately detailed homes that look old by virtue of their design and details. Walk my dogs past them all the time and see something new I like every day.

800px-Dr_taylor_hudson_house_2008.jpg

This one is in downtown Belton TX. (National Registry home)

I don't care for the garage in front, no matter the house style, old or modern. If it has to be attached, then behind or under.

To me, especially with classic houses like the Victorians and the Craftsman, garages weren't meant to be seen as part of the façade.

These older homes in Leavenworth have the old carriage houses out back. :)

My dream home is a simple house with 3 decent-sized bedrooms, a full basement, and a good sized kitchen. At least two bathrooms, too.

My wife and I just downsized about 8 months ago - selling our home in a nearby college town where I was raised to a small development about 10 miles away that's more in the country and surrounded by open space. We got twice the house for half the mortgage; and instead of a vintage '64 home, got one built in 2000. 3BR, 3BA, 3car gar, large open floor plan. Love it.

Is is your desire to move in to an existing home or would you like to design and build your own? The latter of course wouldn't be "old" but you could incorporate what you like about the older styles into a brand new home.

FWIW: we live in a neighborhood where one of the builders built a bunch of very ornately detailed homes that look old by virtue of their design and details. Walk my dogs past them all the time and see something new I like every day.

Either/or.

Currently I own a front to back split level. Four bedrooms, three bath with a double car attached. It'll get me through the next couple of years until my kids are out of school.

Depending on financial situations, building would be ideal (in a style of an old Victorian) but if an original older home came available and I had the funds to fix it up, I would do that as well.

Good feature if you have the lot space to spare and the extra cash for the longer driveway. It is also generally a plus for insurance purposes to have a detached garage. I always add a detached storage shed/workshop so the garage will not become one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom