• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

my cat!

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
My cat will not stop peeing on the master bed. I have put on a vinyl liner to keep it from soaking into the mattress, but if I leave the door open for even a few minutes there is a puddle. The litter box stays clean.

I am not sure what to do, as if this keeps up, I may get angry enough to return her to the animal shelter, but I don't want things to get to that point.

However, I am tired of washing all my sheets every other day as well.

Any ideas?

My cat will not stop peeing on the master bed. I have put on a vinyl liner to keep it from soaking into the mattress, but if I leave the door open for even a few minutes there is a puddle. The litter box stays clean.

I am not sure what to do, as if this keeps up, I may get angry enough to return her to the animal shelter, but I don't want things to get to that point.

Any ideas?
You need to tame your *****.

Any ideas?

1) Is the litterbox private? Covered or open?

2) Does she poop on the bed or just pee on the bed but poop in the litter-box?

3) How long have you had her?

I provide cat consultation - a FREE service - Advocacy for exceptional cats in imminent danger and I'll give you advice once you give me the answers to the above questions. I have a pretty good success rate (but not 100%).

1) Is the litterbox private? Covered or open?

2) Does she poop on the bed or just pee on the bed but poop in the litter-box?

3) How long have you had her?

I provide cat consultation - a FREE service - Advocacy for exceptional cats in imminent danger and I'll give you advice once you give me the answers to the above questions. I have a pretty good success rate (but not 100%).

1. Its open, I got it when she was very tiny and couldn't climb into a closed box.

2. Just pee. She pees in the litter box as well

3. Three months now.

1. Its open, I got it when she was very tiny and couldn't climb into a closed box.

2. Just pee. She pees in the litter box as well

3. Three months now.

Peeing "outside the box" is sometimes a form of protest.

Lets try these:

Spray the bed with Natures Miracle Pet Block or similar.

Get a box with side such as Amazon.com: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop: Pet Supplies (on sale for $11) and relocate it to a more private area.

Add some Amazon.com: Precious Cat Ultra Litter Attractant, 20 Ounces: Pet Supplies or similar to the litter. Maybe change litter brands. I use Amazon.com: World's Best Cat Litter, Clumping Formula, 7 lbs.: Pet Supplies but I buy it at Petsmart for much less than Amazon. There are many different substances for litter. I assume you are using clumping litter.

Increase or decrease the level of litter in the box. I only put about 1" in but different strokes etc.

If these don't work she might have UTI - that will take a Vet visit to determine.

Peeing "outside the box" is sometimes a form of protest.

Lets try these:

Spray the bed with Natures Miracle Pet Block or similar.

Get a box with side such as Amazon.com: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop: Pet Supplies (on sale for $11) and relocate it to a more private area.

Add some Amazon.com: Precious Cat Ultra Litter Attractant, 20 Ounces: Pet Supplies or similar to the litter. Maybe change litter brands. I use Amazon.com: World's Best Cat Litter, Clumping Formula, 7 lbs.: Pet Supplies but I buy it at Petsmart for much less than Amazon. There are many different substances for litter. I assume you are using clumping litter.

Increase or decrease the level of litter in the box. I only put about 1" in but different strokes etc.

If these don't work she might have UTI - that will take a Vet visit to determine.

Thanks I will try that.

She pretty much has her own room for the litter box. Its in a bathroom nobody uses since she makes such a mess with it (I have to clean it weekly). I have considered getting a closed box as her digging gets litter on the floor.

I put probably about 3 inches in.

Part of the problem may be that this is the most social cat I have ever seen. She absolutely loves new people and gets sad when people leave, even if she just met them, she will be all over them and nuzzle their faces ASAP. She will cry at the door until I distract her with a toy when people leave. Lord knows how she feels while I am at work, but I bet its stressful for her. This weekend I ended up staying the night at a friend's house and she went nuts and wouldn't let me out of her sight for the rest of the day when I got back. I wonder if that is part of the issue. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a second pet deposit right now, so no companions.

Last edited:
Thanks I will try that.

She pretty much has her own room for the litter box. Its in a bathroom nobody uses since she makes such a mess with it (I have to clean it weekly). I have considered getting a closed box as her digging gets litter on the floor.

Part of the problem may be that this is the most social cat I have ever seen. She absolutely loves new people and gets sad when people leave, even if she just met them. She will cry at the door until I distract her with a toy. Lord knows how she feels while I am at work, but I bet its stressful for her. I wonder if that is part of the issue. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a second pet deposit right now, so no companions.

If she does this when you are away, your analysis may be correct. Some cats are very social and require more attention (or companionship) than others. She sounds like a love-bug so lets try all the alternatives first.

Do you have any toys she can play with by herself? Similar to Amazon.com: Petstages Cheese Chase Ball Track for Cat Toy: Pet Supplies

IMHO 3" is way too much litter. So lets try the litter brand, box first with about 1-1.5"

No self powered toys, but I can get some.

No self powered toys, but I can get some.

The toys are worth a try. You can return them if she ignores them.

Also, some cats HATE a dirty litter box. If you're away for 9 hours a day, I'll suggest you get a second litter box. You can put it next to the other one or elsewhere.

My boy Pu will howl until I clean the litter boxes. As soon as I respond to his majesty, he'll start eating. So he's figured out that food = poop and he wants a clean bathroom. So keep the old box and add the new one with the sides.

I want this solved, heading to the pet supplies store now

Any ideas?

Uhhhh, why not close your bedroom door?

Get her a second litter box so she has a spare. Have you recently changed cat litter? If so, that might account for it. Could she has a UTI?

Last edited:
pay someone to adopt your cat

Uhhhh, why not close your bedroom door?

Get her a second litter box so she has a spare. Have you recently changed cat litter? If so, that might account for it. Could she has a UTI?

I keep it closed, or try it, maybe I need a door closer ...

I changed it three days ago.

I need to check the UTI thing.

Last edited:

I'm no expert, so take my info with a grain of salt, since it's restricted to my experiences with a cat I had a few years ago who was peeing in/on odd places.

1. She was highstrung, to begin with. Part Siamese.
2. She once peed on the dining room table when workers had been here for hours making banging noises. She got upset, I guess.
3. Changing your litter box every 3 days sounds long, to me. I learned that I had to clean up her clumping litter every day, add more litter, and then do a full change-out of litter once a week. She did NOT like a dirty litter box. (Also, the other poster is correct about how much litter. I learned that having a lot of litter was something she didn't seem to like.)
4. It matters how convenient the litter box is. If there's one litter box and it's at the back of the house, so that your cat has to go across the house to urinate, that might be too inconvenient.
5. My dog, I learned, was getting into her litter box.

Once I kept the dog out of her litter box (I got a litter box with a top so that it was harder for the dog to stick his head through, and I started strict training the dog to stay away from it; later I was able to remove the top, and I set up a room divider with just enough space for her to squeeze through but not the dog), AND started cleaning her clumping litter daily with a full change out of litter weekly, and moving the litter box to a more convenient spot....the "accidents" stopped happening.

I took her to the vet, of course, to make sure she was healthy. She was. I never had these problems with two other cats I had. But that little Siamese was just highstrung, so more sensitive to these things. Humans are all different, too, aren't we?

I'm no expert, so take my info with a grain of salt, since it's restricted to my experiences with a cat I had a few years ago who was peeing in/on odd places.

1. She was highstrung, to begin with. Part Siamese.
2. She once peed on the dining room table when workers had been here for hours making banging noises. She got upset, I guess.
3. Changing your litter box every 3 days sounds long, to me. I learned that I had to clean up her clumping litter every day, add more litter, and then do a full change-out of litter once a week. She did NOT like a dirty litter box. (Also, the other poster is correct about how much litter. I learned that having a lot of litter was something she didn't seem to like.)
4. It matters how convenient the litter box is. If there's one litter box and it's at the back of the house, so that your cat has to go across the house to urinate, that might be too inconvenient.
5. My dog, I learned, was getting into her litter box.

Once I kept the dog out of her litter box (I got a litter box with a top so that it was harder for the dog to stick his head through, and I started strict training the dog to stay away from it), AND started cleaning her clumping litter daily with a full change out of litter weekly, and moving the litter box to a more convenient spot....the "accidents" stopped happening.

I took her to the vet, of course, to make sure she was healthy. She was. I never had these problems with two other cats I had. But that little Siamese was just highstrung, so more sensitive to these things. Humans are all different, too, aren't we?

To be more accurate. I scoop her litter daily and add more in to top it off. I change to fresh litter twice a week.

Thanks I will try that.

Part of the problem may be that this is the most social cat I have ever seen. She absolutely loves new people and gets sad when people leave, even if she just met them, she will be all over them and nuzzle their faces ASAP. She will cry at the door until I distract her with a toy when people leave. Lord knows how she feels while I am at work, but I bet its stressful for her. This weekend I ended up staying the night at a friend's house and she went nuts and wouldn't let me out of her sight for the rest of the day when I got back. I wonder if that is part of the issue. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a second pet deposit right now, so no companions.

Sounds like separation anxiety

Solve Separation Anxiety in Cats -- How to Solve Separation Anxiety in Cats

She may be a fussy kitty, too. We empty our cats' litter boxes every day. We don't change the litter every day, but we empty the clumps. If you're buying cheap-assed litter, that could be a problem, too. Or if you don't wash the litter box itself on a regular basis when you're changing it. Pooooor kitty. (Tom says he changes the litter completely every week, but empties it every morning.)

Litter-boxes should always be cleaned as soon as they are used. Cats are pretty specific. If you opened your toilet lid and saw your own poop from earlier, how would you feel about that?

I strongly recommend using good quality CLUMPING litter and get an easy to use disposal system so you can conveniently check and clean the box anytime it is used. I also reiterate my earlier suggestion of having 1 more box than you do cats. Even if your cat is willing to step into a dirty box, do you want them to get material on their paws and then wander around? The corn based clumping litter is best because there is no dust and the particles are large enough to fall off near the box and they are highly visible.

An indoor cat is a lot of work. And well worth the effort.

Litter-boxes should always be cleaned as soon as they are used. Cats are pretty specific. If you opened your toilet lid and saw your own poop from earlier, how would you feel about that?

I strongly recommend using good quality CLUMPING litter and get an easy to use disposal system so you can conveniently check and clean the box anytime it is used. I also reiterate my earlier suggestion of having 1 more box than you do cats. Even if your cat is willing to step into a dirty box, do you want them to get material on their paws and then wander around? The corn based clumping litter is best because there is no dust and the particles are large enough to fall off near the box and they are highly visible.

An indoor cat is a lot of work. And well worth the effort.

Mmm, having had cats and dogs, I'll say that one dog (at least of the German Shepherd variety) is more work than 5 indoor cats any day of the week. ;)

Find where the cat sleeps and pee on it's bed. Then it'll know what it feels like.

Thanks I will try that.

Do you leave the TV or radio on for her? You should if you don't..

Back
Top Bottom