• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Boss is a Doofus. What should I do?

lurchadams

Zoom Warrior
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So, I think the issue is he feels inferior to me. Why do I think that?

1. When we started working together I noticed we were using google as our platform and we all had access to the same calendar. So I started posting my customer appointments on the calendar so folks I worked with could see when I'd be out of the shop. So when I told my boss this, he said, "yeah, I use the calendar too!". We wasn't but he started to - but he didn't know how to do it. He kept posting "invites" instead of events. One day everyone in the shop got an invite to my bosses doctor's appointment.

2. He scheduled me to open, but then he comes before me and does all my opening duties. So if you're going to do it, just schedule me a couple of hours later - I could really use the sleep. Again, I think it's a situation where he needs to show me "he's just as good as me" or whatever.

3. The other day he starts lecturing me on how to be a better sales person and "things we can do to promote our image". Meanwhile, he's driving around in a dirty company vehicle with our logo on it with license plate tags that have been expired since January. Yeah, boss. Tell me all about being a professional < - sarcasm.

Anyway. I'm a professional. I'll continue to put up with his Mikey Mouse shit as long as I can.

1. When we started working together I noticed we were using google as our platform and we all had access to the same calendar. So I started posting my customer appointments on the calendar so folks I worked with could see when I'd be out of the shop. So when I told my boss this, he said, "yeah, I use the calendar too!". We wasn't but he started to - but he didn't know how to do it. He kept posting "invites" instead of events. One day everyone in the shop got an invite to my bosses doctor's appointment.

2. He scheduled me to open, but then he comes before me and does all my opening duties. So if you're going to do it, just schedule me a couple of hours later - I could really use the sleep. Again, I think it's a situation where he needs to show me "he's just as good as me" or whatever.

3. The other day he starts lecturing me on how to be a better sales person and "things we can do to promote our image". Meanwhile, he's driving around in a dirty company vehicle with our logo on it with license plate tags that have been expired since January. Yeah, boss. Tell me all about being a professional < - sarcasm.

Anyway. I'm a professional. I'll continue to put up with his Mikey Mouse shit as long as I can.
They say advice is worth what you pay for it……

I’ve been posting less time than you, so please don’t take offense at my observation. You carry yourself here as though you hold yourself in higher regard than everyone else. Whenever I have problems with too many people, I search out a mirror…………🤷

By your own account, haven’t you had numerous business addresses in the years you have been a member?

Like Beau of the Fifth Column signs off, “just some words to think about.”

It's time to make your boss feel important. Think of it as a career advancement tool. Exploit his ass to YOUR advantage. If you need to make him look good to increase your monetary value in his/her opinion, do it.

As a boss a good rule of thumb is

'Watch how you treat your employees because you never know when they might become your boss'

Sage advice.

I’ve been posting less time than you, so please don’t take offense at my observation. You carry yourself here as though you hold yourself in higher regard than everyone else. Whenever I have problems with too many people, I search out a mirror…………🤷

By your own account, haven’t you had numerous business addresses in the years you have been a member?

I shall consider your words, thanks. My boss is still a doofus.

Get tf away from that idiot. If he feels inferior he will always resent you. Odds are there is a better situation for you out there somewhere, you just have to find it.
I'm going to try to stick it out. There's so much money to be made there. Their commission structure is really generous! I just need by boss to quit being a total doofus.

Also, Rex. Have you considered that perhaps I am better than everyone else? 😉

I'm going to try to stick it out. There's so much money to be made there. Their commission structure is really generous! I just need by boss to quit being a total doofus.

How has your boss effected your work? seems like you are whining because you just don't like your boss

Reactions: PoS
How has your boss effected your work? seems like you are whining because you just don't like your boss
By getting in my way. I'm sorry, I thought I explained that in my OP. Doing my job for me, when he's hired me to do it, is not a great way to motivate an employee, don't you agree? Claiming you're concerned about our brand, but then driving around in a dirty company vehicle with expired tags? You don't think that's a little odd? Lying about using our calendar and then inviting us all to his colonoscopy? Alright, well, you and @Rexedgar I understand don't like me. But I feel I've made some valid points here. Don't let your guy's dislike of me, personally cloud your judgement please. It's exactly what you both are doing.

By getting in my way. I'm sorry, I thought I explained that in my OP. Doing my job for me, when he's hired me to do it, is not a great way to motivate an employee, don't you agree? Claiming you're concerned about our brand, but then driving around in a dirty company vehicle with expired tags? You don't think that's a little odd? Lying about using our calendar and then inviting us all to his colonoscopy? Alright, well, you and @Rexedgar I understand don't like me. But I feel I've made some valid points here. Don't let your guy's dislike of me, personally cloud your judgement please. It's exactly what you both are doing.
That a load of crapola, lurch!

You are demonstrating exactly the reason for the “predicament“ that you find yourself in. How many jobs have you had since you joined here?

If you ask for advice, you should preface the ask by stating you want it sugar-coated.

I won’t hold my breath on an answer to the question as this is the second ask……..

Okay, you get some honesty from me, just because that is something I could not give anyone in real life, for diplomatic reasons...

Sounds like he is the owner, if so he (your boss) however his shortcomings, had the money, skills and/or guts to open a company. You should remember and acknowledge that. If he isn’t the owner but just your boss, the below still applies.

To me it just sounds like he is of an older generation and haven't learned the skills of the internet era as much as you, maybe because he hasn't seen that he needs it. Or maybe you have learned it so well because you have worked in many different places were it has been required and he hasn’t. You are an employee. I feel that you are competing with him on who's the best and smartest instead of showing him that he needs you and that you can contribute where his own skills lack. If you present yourself as a competitor instead of a team member, that is how you are going to be presided.

I would fire you and employ someone younger that not only could put appointments in the calendar, but that could give me a dynamic website, teach me how to make appointments in the calendar (without gloating or feeling superior)and put up an online booking system and still open the shop without me being worried that they will search my papers or steal my customer list..... Best of al, that younger person would probably cost less than you are.

He doesn't trust you, for good reasons if I get your behavior correct. That is not a good thing. You should look for a new job or try and save the relationship, if that is still an option.

So your boss does your opening job for you? That's less work for you. How does him driving around in a dirty car effect you? How does your boss looking silly on Google calendar effect your work?

That a load of crapola, lurch!

You are demonstrating exactly the reason for the “predicament“ that you find yourself in. How many jobs have you had since you joined here?

If you ask for advice, you should preface the ask by stating you want it sugar-coated.

I won’t hold my breath on an answer to the question as this is the second ask……..
You're not giving me any advice, Rex. You're just attacking me. Also, I don't know where you get your info, but I worked for the same company for almost 30 years before they laid me off in Jan of 2020.

I'm sorry you don't like me, man. I like you. I hope you have a better day.

Okay, you get some honesty from me, just because that is something I could not give anyone in real life, for diplomatic reasons...

Sounds like he is the owner, if so he (your boss) however his shortcomings, had the money, skills and/or guts to open a company. You should remember and acknowledge that. If he isn’t the owner but just your boss, the below still applies.

To me it just sounds like he is of an older generation and haven't learned the skills of the internet era as much as you, maybe because he hasn't seen that he needs it. Or maybe you have learned it so well because you have worked in many different places were it has been required and he hasn’t. You are an employee. I feel that you are competing with him on who's the best and smartest instead of showing him that he needs you and that you can contribute where his own skills lack. If you present yourself as a competitor instead of a team member, that is how you are going to be presided.

I would fire you and employ someone younger that not only could put appointments in the calendar, but that could give me a dynamic website, teach me how to make appointments in the calendar (without gloating or feeling superior)and put up an online booking system and still open the shop without me being worried that they will search my papers or steal my customer list..... Best of al, that younger person would probably cost less than you are.

He doesn't trust you, for good reasons if I get your behavior correct. That is not a good thing. You should look for a new job or try and save the relationship, if that is still an option.
He's younger than me by about 10 years. He's also in very poor health, personally which I'm sure affects his work product.

Also, he's the manager. The owner is a different person. It's the owner that talked me into staying yesterday after the manager tried to fire me.

Just want to make sure our facts are straight, my friend. Thanks for helping.

I'd show up to the colonoscopy. Maybe he just needed team support.

So your boss does your opening job for you? That's less work for you. How does him driving around in a dirty car effect you? How does your boss looking silly on Google calendar effect your work?
Cro. Dude. If you have to ask these questions, it means you're not qualified to take part in this thread. Thanks for trying man.

You're not giving me any advice, Rex. You're just attacking me. Also, I don't know where you get your info, but I worked for the same company for almost 30 years before they laid me off in Jan of 2020.

I'm sorry you don't like me, man. I like you. I hope you have a better day.
George Carlin wants a word;

Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. ” - George Carlin

What you want is a support group. Don’t ask a question that you don’t want the answer to……🤷

George Carlin wants a word;

Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. ” - George Carlin

What you want is a support group. Don’t ask a question that you don’t want the answer to……🤷
That support group, Rex. Has it helped you? I might try it, thanks, man!

That support group, Rex. Has it helped you? I might try it, thanks, man!
Superiority complex coupled with a thin skin is not a good look!

1649938642599.jpeg

Superiority complex coupled with a thin skin is not a good look!

View attachment 67385559
What do YOU see when you look in the mirror, Rex? You've spent this entire thread accusing me of mental illness/aka trying to tear me down. You accuse me of having a "superiority complex" after I lined out several ways my boss is ****ing things up with me. You've ignored that and instead are attacking the OP.

Do you know what an "inferiority complex" is Rex? I'd seriously look into it if I were you, perhaps bring it up at your next group chat.

My scant experience as an employee over the last 30 years amounts to a grand total of five months. In that five month stretch, I worked at three different companies:

1st Company- Co-Driver in a 26’ Box Truck that made E-Bay deliveries and pick-ups. We went to 14 states in one month, beginning and ending in Atlanta. We went as far north as Madison WI. I argued with management pretty much the whole way, fine tuning my Mantra: “One and Done” as in one round trip and I quit. When I got back to Georgia, management asked me to do another trip. I said “NO WAY”.

2nd Company- I took a warehouse job for a 100+ year old giant moving and storage company. I operated an ”old school fork lift”, unloaded and loaded semi-trucks, moved furniture in and out of storage, transported rubbish to a garbage compressor and helped keep the loading docks clean and organized. I felt simmering resentment from some of the Blue Collar crew, I suspect because of my status as a college graduate. I quit the job after two months.

3rd Company- I sold tile and flooring for a Tile Outlet for two months. I immediately quit upon receiving a Child Support lawsuit. I preferred to focus on the lawsuit, then live a life of quiet desperation performing mundane work while the Department of Revenue raked my pay. With concentrated effort, I settled that lawsuit to my satisfaction.

Today, I live totally debt free, wheel and deal in residential real estate. Keep two nice homes for personal use. I accumulated a net worth in the 7-figure $$$$millions, confident of building 8-figure wealth during my remaining working years.

@lurchadams - you know I got Love for you! I hope, at some point, you step away from working as an employee, even if uncertain how to generate income. Look for a self-employment lane in something you enjoy doing, then jump in!

I get up everyday enthusiastic about a new day of opportunities! I feel like a poker player with an impressive stack of chips who regularly plays at a moderately large stakes table with a group of smack-talking players. Bring it! My palpable enthusiasm and chip pile exude self-confidence and competence!

What do YOU see when you look in the mirror, Rex? You've spent this entire thread accusing me of mental illness/aka trying to tear me down. You accuse me of having a "superiority complex" after I lined out several ways my boss is ****ing things up with me. You've ignored that and instead are attacking the OP.

Do you know what an "inferiority complex" is Rex? I'd seriously look into it if I were you, perhaps bring it up at your next group chat.
Given your posting history, I knew the chances of you taking offense were large. What I didn’t expect was a personal attack, well maybe I did.

Your first line in the OP says it all.

”So, I think the issue is he feels inferior to me. Why do I think that?”

You think that because you think you are superior to him. Easy-Peasy.

Given your posting history, I knew the chances of you taking offense were large. What I didn’t expect was a personal attack, well maybe I did.

Your first line in the OP says it all.

”So, I think the issue is he feels inferior to me. Why do I think that?”

You think that because you think you are superior to him. Easy-Peasy.
LOL - you get what you give, Rex. Perhaps someday you'll learn.

Back
Top Bottom