• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My 15-year old nephew just successfully gained his moped license today. Did you/do you own a motorcycle ?

?

• Total voters

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
He failed the theoretical computer test the first 2 times, today it worked out and he got the license (because the driving exam was no problem for him).

But the computer test was 45 questions out of 400 multiple choice questions about traffic rules etc. and 80% of the 45 questions have to be correct to get the license and you have to complete these 45 questions in 60 minutes too.

He already has a moped, it was registered today and will drive to some burger restaurant in the evening with some friends.

Question: do you also have a motorcycle ? Which kind ? How tough was it getting your license ?

I know that a (car) driver license in the US is very easy to get relative to here in Europe, where there are strict PC exams and driving lessons and the license itself and medical evaluation costs 2.500$ these days.

A moped license is just 60$ though.

I myself have the actual driver license for a motorcycle too, but except for a brief period, I never had one. I once had a Triumph motorcycle for a few months, which was pretty cool.

He failed the theoretical computer test the first 2 times, today it worked out and he got the license (because the driving exam was no problem for him).

But the computer test was 45 questions out of 400 multiple choice questions about traffic rules etc. and 80% of the 45 questions have to be correct to get the license and you have to complete these 45 questions in 60 minutes too.

He already has a moped, it was registered today and will drive to some burger restaurant in the evening with some friends.

Question: do you also have a motorcycle ? Which kind ? How tough was it getting your license ?

I know that a (car) driver license in the US is very easy to get relative to here in Europe, where there are strict PC exams and driving lessons and the license itself and medical evaluation costs 2.500$ these days.

I myself have the actual driver license for a motorcycle too, but except for a brief period, I never had one. I once had a Triumph motorcycle for a few months, which was pretty cool.
Mopeds need licenses? Mopeds over here are peddle bikes with motors...and I wasnt aware they needed a motorcycle license to be honest.

In the US there is a road test for a motorcycle endorsement on a license. Lately in our state they have separated licenses by CC...so its something like 2500cc and under, 800 and under, and then pretty much anything over 800cc's. You are supposed to test on the bike you will be riding.

I have 2...I have a 650cc Burgman 650 (call it a scooter or a moped if you like...its an auto transmission bike) and a BMW 1200. Just sold my Intruder 1500.

Had a Honda 750 4K when I was in my early 20s. After I passed the written test I got a permit which meant I could drive the supervision of a licensed MC driver. But I was told that was never enforced so I paracticed and practiced and passed the driver's test. Motorcycles are a blast. In good weather. If you stay sober. And in NJ people aren't really accustomed to sharing the road with bikes so you had to watch constantly for idiots. In a way it's the most freeing experience and the most fun you can have on the road. On the other hand you can't have a few drinks with lunch and get back on the bike, and you need to watch for a bunch of stuff you don't worry about in car.

In America, riding a moped or motorcycle on the streets is much riskier than driving a car, which is risky.

Mopeds need licenses? Mopeds over here are peddle bikes with motors...and I wasnt aware they needed a motorcycle license to be honest.

In the US there is a road test for a motorcycle endorsement on a license. Lately in our state they have separated licenses by CC...so its something like 2500cc and under, 800 and under, and then pretty much anything over 800cc's. You are supposed to test on the bike you will be riding.

I have 2...I have a 650cc Burgman 650 (call it a scooter or a moped if you like...its an auto transmission bike) and a BMW 1200. Just sold my Intruder 1500.

Yeah, mopeds need a driver license on their own here in Austria and Europe. You can get it as a 15-year old, but need to pass a strict PC and practical driving test. The PC test was written until not long ago and IMO not as strict at all compared to what my nephew had to learn. I had like 100 questions to study 20 years ago and he had 400 traffic rules and situations to study for his online test.

BTW: what's the price in the US these days to get a car driving license ?

It's 2500$ or 2000€ here these days, no joke.

I probably will hand over some cash to my nephew and my two nieces if they are 18 so they can afford it ... :p

Yeah, mopeds need a driver license on their own here in Austria and Europe. You can get it as a 15-year old, but need to pass a strict PC and practical driving test. The PC test was written until not long ago and IMO not as strict at all compared to what my nephew had to learn. I had like 100 questions to study 20 years ago and he had 400 traffic rules and situations to study for his online test.

BTW: what's the price in the US these days to get a car driving license ?

It's 2500$ or 2000€ here these days, no joke.

I probably will hand over some cash to my nephew and my two nieces if they are 18 so they can afford it ... :p
A four year license in NJ cost me under $50.

I passed my bike test in the 1960's on a Honda 50, and had a series of bikes, from a little Villiers-engined 250cc two stroke twin to a Pather 600cc single with a sidecar and a 1946 Indian Chief. I currently run a 400cc Burgman on the shopping run, but I keep a Yamaha 80cc Townmate shaft drive to tinker with.

I'm not sure what a current licence costs, but it's for life. Or at least 70, I'm into the renew every two years system now!

A driver license in the US is restricted ?

Mine is valid forever (but I think they changed the law a few years ago, so that in the late 2030s you will have to renew it every 10 years).
Yep, must be renewed every 4 years.

Harley Street Glide

Kinda funny that there are things that are more liberal here in Austria than in the US (other than voting and drinking, which we can do with 16 and you guys with 18/21).
It's a revenue thing

I passed my bike test in the 1960's on a Honda 50, and had a series of bikes, from a little Villiers-engined 250cc two stroke twin to a Pather 600cc single with a sidecar and a 1946 Indian Chief. I currently run a 400cc Burgman on the shopping run, but I keep a Yamaha 80cc Townmate shaft drive to tinker with.

I love (some) Indian Motocycles.

1650035390433.png

My family had a Honda Trail 50 that my older brother put speedway handlebars on that I rode wheelies on in the field across the street from our house. The picture isn't me: I didn't wear a helmet nor gloves. I know, you're talking about a Honda Cub Or Dream of something like that 50.

1650035623749.png

Never had one. Got kinda weirded out on them when a friend died in a crash while not wearing his helmet.

Yep, there are lots of old bikers and there are lots of bold bikers, but very few old bold bikers. ;)

You have a bad habit of missing points.

Personally have not owned one. However, there is one in my garage now (my FIL's) and another will be likely bought within a month or 2 (husband is working on getting his license). I have ridden on the back of one and wouldn't mind eventually riding one, but think I'd feel safer on something with at least one more wheel.

Best advice I can give is when on a bike, assume that no cars on the road see you, and when they do see you, they are looking past you and not registering you're there.

Riding a motorcycle has about 30 times the fatality rate per 100 miles than a private passenger auto, regardless of age. The fatality rate is more than just not having as much protection as in an auto, but also vehicle stability and rider vision, etc. Only 10% of moto riders in an accident have insurance. Insurance would be a good idea, IMO.

Personally have not owned one. However, there is one in my garage now (my FIL's) and another will be likely bought within a month or 2 (husband is working on getting his license). I have ridden on the back of one and wouldn't mind eventually riding one, but think I'd feel safer on something with at least one more wheel.
My older daughter, 50, just bought a Can-Am Spyder. A three wheeler with two wheels in the front, one wheel in the rear. She loves it! May want to google, and check it out, if your interested in such a vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom